Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The American Dream" is just a myth we tell ourselves
RE: "The American Dream" is just a myth we tell ourselves
Not a myth for me. I'm not sure what the "American Dream" should look like, but even through some nasty health issues and bad stretches of employment, I was able to retire at 62 and am still basically healthy, and have enough resources to live comfortably, and do pretty much what I want. What I want isn't all that much, really, so that probably helps.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(April 18, 2019 at 7:42 pm)Amarok Wrote:
(April 18, 2019 at 8:11 am)wyzas Wrote: They certainly did for me.
I doubt that

Why?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 18, 2019 at 7:58 pm)Fireball Wrote: Not a myth for me. I'm not sure what the "American Dream" should look like, but even through some nasty health issues and bad stretches of employment, I was able to retire at 62 and am still basically healthy, and have enough resources to live comfortably, and do pretty much what I want. What I want isn't all that much, really, so that probably helps.

I retired at 38. Razz
(April 18, 2019 at 8:17 pm)wyzas Wrote:
(April 18, 2019 at 7:42 pm)Amarok Wrote: I doubt that

Why?
Because I don't see a reason why it's true
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(April 18, 2019 at 8:42 pm)Amarok Wrote:
(April 18, 2019 at 8:17 pm)wyzas Wrote: Why?
Because I don't see a reason why it's true

I enjoyed my work (50 to 60 hrs a week), found it very fulfilling, enriched my life and others and ended up with a very comfy life retiring at age 54.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 16, 2019 at 10:13 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(April 16, 2019 at 10:00 pm)EgoDeath Wrote: Bullshit. The American Dream is alive and well. You can work hard and get ahead (or work the system and get ahead) or choose to be a loser and never strive for anything. There's plenty of in between. But your life is what you make it. Sure, there's plenty of factors you can't control and never will be able to control. But statistically, I'm supposed to be dead, in prison or living a some run down trailer park right now. I come from poverty. I worked my way out of it and I promise you I'm not smarter than the average bear.

People who say shit like "it's impossible to get ahead" are usually fucking losers through and through. They'll tell you "it's impossible to get ahead" while wasting hundreds of dollars a month on cigarettes, alcohol, snacks, junk food, fast food, etc. Sure, plenty of people are in terrible circumstances that they had nothing to do with creating. But even plenty of those people can get out of it it they try hard enough.

You are so right, brotha. Within every failed person you will find a belly full of fast food and a lung full of tobacco tar. Thanks for figuring out the formula for all of us. We were wondering why there is so much poverty in the world and you figured it out. Cigs and fast food. Good for you.

I've been on both sides of the coin. I lived in a city where I made 60K a year, smoked cigs, and munched on fast food and did pretty okay for myself. And I've also lived in an area where I made not even half that, and despite the fact that I cut back on cigs and fast food... I still failed to make it. Not to question your infinite wisdom or anything... but perhaps other factors were at play.

I think you know what I meant. But okay, run with that stupidly over-simplified version of my argument if that makes you feel better.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 987 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why do we hate the American military institution? WinterHold 16 822 November 23, 2021 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1319 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1596 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  American imagery from movies from 90s and 80s Sweden83 8 1536 December 5, 2020 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "Tell All" books and politics........ Brian37 18 872 September 6, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 761 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  I like that American left are miserable Snora 82 6673 March 24, 2019 at 7:47 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Venezuela and Saudi Arabia in the eyes of the American one-eyed foreign policy WinterHold 9 1302 February 4, 2019 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  It's Just One Vote and It's Just One Carbon Footprint Duty 16 929 October 26, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: brewer