Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today In History: The North King Street Massacre
Today In History: The North King Street Massacre
Near the end of the Easter Rising in 1916, British regulars broke down the doors of several houses in North King Street, Dublin, and shot and bayonetted to death 15 males whom they suspected of being rebels. A coroner's inquest ruled that all 15 of the dead were 'unarmed and unresisting' prisoners.  Later testimony was unable to demonstrate that ANY of the men were associated with or assisting the rebels.  The soldiers, in at least four cases, had robbed the bodies of cash and jewelry and buried them in the cellars and gardens of the houses where they were shot.

Prime Minister Asquith ordered all evidence suppressed.  The evidence of the murders did not come to light until 2001. No one was ever charged or prosecuted for the massacre.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Today In History: The North King Street Massacre
Is it Marching Season already?
That's in July.  I'm just feeling particularly Nationalist this week.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 27, 2019 at 7:35 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Prime Minister Asquith ordered all evidence suppressed.  The evidence of the murders did not come to light until 2001. No one was ever charged or prosecuted for the massacre.

They seem to be currently following the same dictum with respect to murders in the north during the troubles by British state forces, and loyalist paramilitaries controlled by British state forces (what little evidence that hasn't been suppressed suggests is that the whole edifice of loyalist paramilitary groups were tightly controlled by MI5 and the RUC).
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(April 27, 2019 at 10:39 am)Nomad Wrote:
(April 27, 2019 at 7:35 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Prime Minister Asquith ordered all evidence suppressed.  The evidence of the murders did not come to light until 2001. No one was ever charged or prosecuted for the massacre.

They seem to be currently following the same dictum with respect to murders in the north during the troubles by British state forces, and loyalist paramilitaries controlled by British state forces (what little evidence that hasn't been suppressed suggests is that the whole edifice of loyalist paramilitary groups were tightly controlled by MI5 and the RUC).

The more things change, the more they remain the same.  The ONLY reason to suppress the evidence is to prevent things from being actionable in court.  That the loyalist paras are an arm of the British government has always been something of an open secret.

Boru
No wonder the strife! I am happy to not have been born in Ireland. Would be impossible to not fight back.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM4vblG6BVQ
(April 27, 2019 at 4:38 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM4vblG6BVQ

You know the difference between Bono and God?  God doesn't think he's Bono.

Boru
(April 27, 2019 at 7:35 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Near the end of the Easter Rising in 1916, British regulars broke down the doors of several houses in North King Street, Dublin, and shot and bayonetted to death 15 males whom they suspected of being rebels. A coroner's inquest ruled that all 15 of the dead were 'unarmed and unresisting' prisoners.  Later testimony was unable to demonstrate that ANY of the men were associated with or assisting the rebels.  The soldiers, in at least four cases, had robbed the bodies of cash and jewelry and buried them in the cellars and gardens of the houses where they were shot.

Prime Minister Asquith ordered all evidence suppressed.  The evidence of the murders did not come to light until 2001. No one was ever charged or prosecuted for the massacre.

Boru

Time to re-fight the battle of the Boyne is it?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(April 28, 2019 at 10:24 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(April 27, 2019 at 7:35 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Near the end of the Easter Rising in 1916, British regulars broke down the doors of several houses in North King Street, Dublin, and shot and bayonetted to death 15 males whom they suspected of being rebels. A coroner's inquest ruled that all 15 of the dead were 'unarmed and unresisting' prisoners.  Later testimony was unable to demonstrate that ANY of the men were associated with or assisting the rebels.  The soldiers, in at least four cases, had robbed the bodies of cash and jewelry and buried them in the cellars and gardens of the houses where they were shot.

Boru

Time to re-fight the battle of the Boyne is it?

Almost.  1 July.  Mark your calendar.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Great Man approach to history still have use? FrustratedFool 45 2304 December 6, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Most notorious badass in history? Fake Messiah 67 3690 September 7, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is history best forgotten? MarcusA 0 321 August 18, 2023 at 12:56 am
Last Post: MarcusA
  The biggest scandal in history Fake Messiah 23 1518 August 14, 2023 at 8:32 am
Last Post: no one
  Want to know WW2 history? Brian37 12 1682 June 13, 2023 at 9:57 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Who was the worst Christian in history? Fake Messiah 29 3670 February 28, 2023 at 1:38 pm
  Varivode Massacre FlatAssembler 10 1838 July 29, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  History is for suckers. brokefree 13 1338 September 2, 2021 at 10:45 pm
  How they would look today Fake Messiah 3 483 August 24, 2021 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The Bilble the oldest living form of written history we have jasonelijah 37 4022 April 22, 2021 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah