Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think about aliens?
RE: What do you think about aliens?
On balance, I think that people who spend a lot of time thinking about alien visitations to Earth should probably think about thinking about something else.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 8, 2019 at 12:23 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: On balance, I think that people who spend a lot of time thinking about alien visitations to Earth should probably think about thinking about something else.

Boru

Our new alien overlords approve of that kind of thinking.
(May 4, 2019 at 10:14 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: You use the expression “we evolve [whether] you like it or not” as if that is an somehow overpowering assertion leading inevitably to where you, for purely subjective reasons, wish we as a specie are going.

Seems like you don't know difference between evolution and DEvolution. And i talk about psychological evolution.

Example of psychological evolution (NOT DEVOLUTION) looks like that - we scared now in 21 century by TEXTS (with no photos) about details of serial killer murders. In 13 century people watch long hours of public torture for criminals on sundays, laughing and eating snacks, with their children aside.(it was like sunday movie for them). Thats why they have so many wars and overall violence was so high back then. Underdeveloped psyche.
but its not  the point  of the the thread
I imagine that other life exists, has existed, and will continue to appear throughout the universe much like we did. However, the chances of us ever finding this out is negligible, nor have any aliens visited earth, because trust me, nobody with higher thought and the choice would be that stupid, let alone any technological issues.
The universe is simply too large for us to be the only thing alive. All it takes is one out of every hundred thousand stars, and suddenly you've got a whole lot of planets with life around.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. For if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes unto you."
I have a hard time believing that in an area as vast as space that there isn't some other sort of life form. I do think it egocentric to assume they are human-like. Whatever the creatures are that may reside in space, they have not come into being under the same conditions as we have therefore would take a different form.

Star Wars and Star Trek aren't documentaries.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 11, 2019 at 8:19 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: I have a hard time believing that in an area as vast as space that there isn't some other sort of life form.  I do think it egocentric to assume they are human-like.  Whatever the creatures are that may reside in space, they have not come into being under the same conditions as we have therefore would take a different form.

Star Wars and Star Trek aren't documentaries.

It'd be interesting to see how life evolves differently on different planets. I'd imagine there would be similarities between Earth life and Xeno lifeforms though, at least to some degree. 

(Hell, if i can't get real dinosaurs, get me some alien dinosaurs!)
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. For if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes unto you."
(May 11, 2019 at 8:19 pm)arewethereye Wrote:   I do think it egocentric to assume they are human-like.

Why? Astrophysics told us everyday that we live on absolutely usual planet, under absolutely usual sun (billions of these exact same suns and planets exist) , our chemical composition is same as in other galaxies

great Neil deGrasse Tyson talks about it everytime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO6ONMLfg5A
Just because a four-limbed critter got an edge on the competition does mean that this layout would be common.
I can easily imagine a clutch of Vlturggs, splashing round their silvery lakes of mercury, admiring the gentle drift of the methane clouds...

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 11, 2019 at 8:19 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Star Wars and Star Trek aren't documentaries.

Whaaaat? Are you saying Klingons and stuff aren't real? 

Are you saying I've spent years meticulously memorizing a bunch of made up shit? No way! What do you take me for? A theologian?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So UFO's and aliens... what's the deal? Mechaghostman2 39 6331 October 18, 2016 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Tech billionaire gives $100M to Stephen Hawking’s search for aliens Fake Messiah 5 2243 August 4, 2015 at 3:11 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Edgar Mitchell on Aliens Napoléon 87 19303 October 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: Napoléon