Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somebody came up to me offering to pray for me today
Somebody came up to me offering to pray for me today
I was a bit shocked. I was with two friends. I guess we looked pretty unassuming. I just wanted to play my mobile game with my friends.

I asked the man "what's the success rate?" and he initially 50% and then he caught himself and said 70% and then upped it to 100% (though I think he did say it depends on the circumstances). I was going to suggest it's no better than random chance but the conversation quickly moved on. Thankfully, he did say that prayer is no substitute for modern medicine so that was somewhat reassuring, when I pressed him on that. I did suggest that maybe prayer is a placebo as he said some are more receptive than others. Wasn't there that Harvard study on prayer? The one that said prayer makes little to no difference.

I ask him if prayer could make my friend with a missing arm grow a new arm. I didn't feel I really got an answer to that question. A bit frustrating to say the least. After a short conversation he said he had to go and pick up his child(ren) from school and left us.

RE: Somebody came up to me offering to pray for me today
(May 2, 2019 at 3:18 pm)ReptilianPeon Wrote: I was a bit shocked. I was with two friends. I guess we looked pretty unassuming. I just wanted to play my mobile game with my friends.

I asked the man "what's the success rate?" and he initially 50% and then he caught himself and said 70% and then upped it to 100% (though I think he did say it depends on the circumstances). I was going to suggest it's no better than random chance but the conversation quickly moved on. Thankfully, he did say that prayer is no substitute for modern medicine so that was somewhat reassuring, when I pressed him on that. I did suggest that maybe prayer is a placebo as he said some are more receptive than others. Wasn't there that Harvard study on prayer? The one that said prayer makes little to no difference.

I ask him if prayer could make my friend with a missing arm grow a new arm. I didn't feel I really got an answer to that question. A bit frustrating to say the least. After a short conversation he said he had to go and pick up his child(ren) from school and left us.

I used to get that a lot, still do occasionally. People offered to pray that God would give me strength.  After a while, my standard reply came to be, 'Strength I've got.  What I could really use is a new eye.'  The rejoinder almost always takes some form of, 'That's not how God works', at which point I politely excuse myself and go back to whatever I was doing.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
What exactly shocked you about it?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I said I was not ill. I tried to be respectful about it and not engage in a petty 'point scoring exercise'. I hope I handled myself okay. I don't want to be seen to be discourteous. The man seemed nice enough, if misguided.

(May 2, 2019 at 3:44 pm)tackattack Wrote: What exactly shocked you about it?

It's never happened to me before. I live in a quaint town. Nothing much goes on. Not much religion where I live.

From what you've told us you actually engaged in civil discussion so that's about as polite as any evangelist could expect (a rarity probably nowadays), especially randomly on the street.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Forgot to mention the Jehovah Witnesses that were sat behind us with their book display (he was not one of them) and I was sorely tempted to say something about blood transfusions. Maybe not a good idea to involve them too. Plus, they are no trouble at all - only sitting quietly amoungst themselves - and I can walk by them without worry.

(May 2, 2019 at 3:51 pm)tackattack Wrote: From what you've told us you actually engaged in civil discussion so that's about as polite as any evangelist could expect (a rarity probably nowadays), especially randomly on the street.

Too right.  I try to make it a point to be polite to these people - they mean well, regardless of what I think of what they believe.  Nearly every time I've been approached like this, the person trying to bring me the 'good news' has been civil.  Such people deserve to be treated in kind.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
If somebody wants to involve me on any level with their religion - is it too much to ask that rather than prayers, I get tithes???

Seriously - I think ten percent of their income will have far more impact on my life than them mumbling my name before they go to bed.
The concept of "praying for somebody" on demand is quite insulting in my perspective. Praying is not a magical spell.

You should pray to God by your own self; if God really exists and really listens; he will answer you.
The religious institution -with its Muslim and Christian branches-forced a monopoly on the idea of praying and accepting the prayer.
I try to be polite since I live in a community of Holy Rollers. I keep a low profile. Best joke about prayer: Prayer is like masturbation.Feels good, does nothing for tne person you're thinking of.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theory to how "Moses Crossing the Sea" tale came from Woah0 0 582 August 14, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Woah0
  Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey zebo-the-fat 16 1494 September 28, 2021 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Came Out as Atheist When I was 12, 17 Now! ScienceAf 8 915 August 29, 2020 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: Theswordismyleopard
  Big gods came after the rise of civilizations Foxaèr 24 2312 April 9, 2020 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Came across something on YouTube and had a very immature thought GODZILLA 20 2829 October 5, 2018 at 9:30 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Had an interesting encounter with a so called Christian on social media today GODZILLA 16 2419 May 24, 2018 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Astreja
  So today at the bank................ Brian37 72 11619 March 15, 2018 at 7:41 am
Last Post: Banned
  Get those kids o there! (Theists at Jacksonville try to pray Hurricane Irma away) causal code 20 6240 September 11, 2017 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
Question Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it? theBorg 52 8794 October 3, 2016 at 9:02 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Looks like there might be Mormons ambushing people shoppers today... ReptilianPeon 23 3255 February 3, 2016 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13