Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:40 am

Poll: Atheists, are you comfortable saying "oh my god"?
This poll is closed.
Yes
77.78%
14 77.78%
No
22.22%
4 22.22%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh my god.
Oh my god.
As an atheist, do you feel comfortable using that popular expression of surprise?

I try to replace god with dog but I still find myself slipping up. The accidental cognitive dissonance is strong with this one.

On a relevant note, I have previously offended someone religious when I put extra effort to avoid the mention of god. Lol.

BQ: Are you put off by people who apply religious words into everyday speech? ("oh my god" "thank god.." "jesus christ!" etc)
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.” ||  https://www.deviantart.com/raybets/
RE: Oh my god.
It doesn't bother me either way, it's like saying "Jesus H. Christ" or "Holy shit".
"Oh fucking Zeus!"
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I say all the god sayings with no feelings about it whatsoever. It doesn't matter.
(May 7, 2019 at 4:22 pm)AgnosAtheis Wrote: As an atheist, do you feel comfortable using that popular expression of surprise?

I try to replace god with dog but I still find myself slipping up. The accidental cognitive dissonance is strong with this one.

On a relevant note, I have previously offended someone religious when I put extra effort to avoid the mention of god. Lol.

BQ: Are you put off by people who apply religious words into everyday speech? ("oh my god" "thank god.." "jesus christ!" etc)

The only three that bother me are when people tell me they will pray for me. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt if I just met them and they don't know me, but once they do, I don't want to hear it. I won't flip out if I hear them say that to someone else in front of me, but just don't say that to me.

"Bless you" is the other one, for the same reason. And again, I wont flip out if someone says that to someone else in front of me, I just don't want to be address like that. You can replace it with, "Are you ok" if I sneeze. 

Oh and " Have a blessed day"... ^^^^^ See above. If you know I am an atheist, that is fucking rude. If you keep saying those things to me after I ask you to stop basically you are saying "I don't care what you want".
I say “oh my god” all the time lol

I also say “thank god” when something good happens.

And “I hope to god” when I want something to happen

And “I pray that doesn’t happen”

I say all kinds of stuff. It’s just an expression. Doesn’t bother me at all.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I say, 'Oh, my god', don't even think about it.  I suppose I could change it to, 'By the great, globular, greasy gonads of God!', but who has the time?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't let other people control my speech.
At work.

I tend to use expletives of what ever comes to mjnd in the moment.

Though the rather ubiquitous Aussie enhancement of "F@CK" is often in there as well. Blush
jesus fucking muhammad. I curse in xtian all the time. I subbed in muhammad to piss of as many as I can with one outburst.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.