Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In what ways can I improve my writing mechanics?
In what ways can I improve my writing mechanics?
This is probably a really stupid question. But here it goes....

I am currently a Graduate student. I consistently get A's and B's in my courses. However, whenever I write a paper I get absolutely destroyed on the writing mechanics on the rubric. I always try to use 3rd party services which check for grammar. However, even in this case those services can only get me so far.  My parents also review my papers as well when I ask them to. They both have PhD's. So they do know their stuff. But again, even that can only take me so far. 

Anyways, what would you recommend I do to hone these skills? Because I obviously have not had issue with comprehending material, but as previously stated professors often pick on my grammar in papers. Understandably.
Better there than here where all my stuff is

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: In what ways can I improve my writing mechanics?
Firstly, anyways is not proper word usage. It's anyway.

Practice, practice, practice.

Then I would say to ask the professor what it was that caused the low score on writing mechanics.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

You' e writing mechanics?

Who?

Last I heard the Magliozzi Brothers weren't doing that gig anymore.

So what kind of car do you have and what seems to be the problem?

Wink
Grammar is not all that important in the real world, unless you are planning on entering a field of work associated with English and literature. I am also certain a history professor is going to be less concerned with grammar than historical facts, because chances are s/he does not understand grammar as well as an English teacher. I would not worry about it too much so long as you are doing well enough in the area. Perfection, after all, is unnecessary.
(May 11, 2019 at 11:11 pm)Fierce Wrote: Grammar is not all that important in the real world, unless you are planning on entering a field of work associated with English and literature. I am also certain a history professor is going to be less concerned with grammar than historical facts, because chances are s/he does not understand grammar as well as an English teacher. I would not worry about it too much so long as you are doing well enough in the area. Perfection, after all, is unnecessary.

Being able to write properly is important depending on what your profession will be.  Many job listings specify the need to be able to communicate well both verbally and in written communication.  How you speak when having a beer with your buddies is a whole different thing.

Being in graduate school indicates a high level of education and people are going to expect a person at that level to be capable of writing properly.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 11, 2019 at 9:57 pm)GODZILLA Wrote: [...]Anyways, what would you recommend I do to hone these skills? Because I obviously have not had issue with comprehending material, but as previously stated professors often pick on my grammar in papers. Understandably.

Read. A lot. And I mean - books, not blogs. Written by educated authors and published by companies, that can afford employing competent editors.

Despite of what some people will say - being able to write at a high level can be extremely important, especially if your aspirations are higher than waiting tables. People are judged on their ability to communicate, in the same way they're judged on - say - their appearance. It's ok if you want to look scruffy at a job interview, or write your CV in text-speak, but most potential employers will prejudge and penalize you for it - even if they won't say it outright. And in the academic world good penmanship is understandably even more important, because poor grammar and spelling often indicate, that the student doesn't read much and professors hate that.

Personally - I was educated in the times just before the use of computers became widespread in my country, so I had to hand-write all my school-work and papers. My cursive is so atrocious, that even I'm unable to read it. It cost me a lot at the time, in terms of test-grades but I refused to work on it - and I got away with it most of the time, mainly because otherwise I usually excelled academically. And now hand-writing is a dying skill... Who's laughing now? Tongue
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
i would help but am dyslexic and i have no clue in what i need to work on never mind what you need to work on my grammar is shit as well
Heart
There are forums that help with writing. Google can help you find them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Valk's is writing for Disney?? no one 3 360 August 27, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I have decided to stop writing poetry. Brian37 0 288 April 1, 2018 at 11:25 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Ways to get Rep points (not serious thread) GrandizerII 31 4347 December 29, 2017 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
Exclamation Writing Aractus 4 922 March 24, 2016 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Aussie consumer laws to improve!! Aractus 1 719 November 26, 2015 at 3:16 am
Last Post: dyresand
  All the ways we can ruin sex vorlon13 114 9921 September 26, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Stupid Ways To Die Thread Minimalist 4 1494 August 14, 2014 at 8:23 am
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Books on writing/language? FallentoReason 5 1450 November 13, 2013 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Using neuroscience jargon to improve your interpersonal relationships Whateverist 4 1195 November 11, 2013 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
Rainbow Story writing game Tea Earl Grey Hot 20 4055 December 12, 2012 at 1:33 am
Last Post: Darkstar