Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mann your battle stations.......
Mann your battle stations.......
Although not the highest finish for a woman in in the Indy 500, 16th out of 32 is damned good  either a male or female, and that is where Pippa Mann finished today. 5/26/19

It makes me wonder if either Indy or NASCAR had a half and half field instead of 99.% male, how many more females would poll and or win.

I also rooted for Danica when she drove. I don't like watching racing on TV, but I am a fan of watching women succeed. Danica did win an Indy series race in Japan in 2008.

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/2...-indy-500/

As an aside, I know nothing about auto racing. But I do know "lapping" is when the drivers in the front circle around and go past the drivers in the back of the pack. 

Here's one thing I noticed in today's race. I noticed one of the top three finisher's bitching about those lapped blocking, but at the end of the race the front runners were cutting each other off insuring they could not pass. What the fuck is the difference?

I can get the speed and safety issues bitching, but if strategy is about preventing someone from passing you, why would it matter if you were one of the lapped drivers blocking someone behind you? If those in the front of the pack do it, what is the difference?
RE: Mann your battle stations.......
(May 26, 2019 at 5:26 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Although not the highest finish for a woman in in the Indy 500, 16th out of 32 is damned good  either a male or female, and that is where Pippa Mann finished today. 5/26/19

It makes me wonder if either Indy or NASCAR had a half and half field instead of 99.% male, how many more females would poll and or win.

I also rooted for Danica when she drove. I don't like watching racing on TV, but I am a fan of watching women succeed. Danica did win an Indy series race in Japan in 2008.

As an aside, I know nothing about auto racing. But I do know "lapping" is when the drivers in the front circle around and go past the drivers in the back of the pack. 

Here's one thing I noticed in today's race. I noticed one of the top three finisher's bitching about those lapped blocking, but at the end of the race the front runners were cutting each other off insuring they could not pass. What the fuck is the difference?

I can get the speed and safety issues bitching, but if strategy is about preventing someone from passing you, why would it matter if you were one of the lapped drivers blocking someone behind you? If those in the front of the pack do it, what is the difference?
There is no (or very little) chance for a lapped racer to win or place in the race.  That's why they are expected to get out of the way.  

Jockeying for position when you have actually have a chance to place is a whole other thing.

You are either on the way or in the way...

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 26, 2019 at 8:35 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(May 26, 2019 at 5:26 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Although not the highest finish for a woman in in the Indy 500, 16th out of 32 is damned good  either a male or female, and that is where Pippa Mann finished today. 5/26/19

There is no (or very little) chance for a lapped racer to win or place in the race.  That's why they are expected to get out of the way.  

Jockeying for position when you have actually have a chance to place is a whole other thing.

You are either on the way or in the way...

I know that. But how is that any different than an NFL game when it is a blowout 35 to 6? The coach of the losing team and the players are always taught to play to the last second. 

And again, if blocking is ok for those at the front of the pack, how is blocking banned for those at the back of the pack? 

I do get what you are saying. But for those lapped, it can be the same as an NFL game spoiler at the end of the season, when the loosing team is so far behind it becomes practice for the off season and next season.

It is easy in any sport for a player or team to bitch about being held back, but the truth is, if the situations were reversed, they would do the same.

I have no problem with blocking in racing. Don't get me wrong. I will always have a problem with safety issues. Just like I have a problem with body slamming a Quarterback millions of years after they threw the ball. But if all a defensive player is doing is covering their zone, I see no penalty in that, even if the defensive player has no chance of winning.
Anybody follow the Grand Prix de Monaco?
My husband is a huge racing fan. I have been watching this crap (or at least having it playing in the background) for over 30 years. I don't get the appeal but I do know that in the time I have been subjected to it the rules have changed dramatically. And the blocking by lapped racers is just a thing. I don't know that it's officially written in some list of rules somewhere but it's a thing. Driver's used to beat other driver's asses for stuff like that. Usually more entertaining than the driving fast and turning left thing IMO.

You simply cannot look at racing and think the rules should be like those in the NFL.

I remember back when Ernie Irvin was in a bad NASCAR crash and was allowed to go back to driving when he was still dealing with double vision. Now they can't race if they have a hangnail. Back in the day NASCAR was about sneaky (or not so sneaky) tactics to win including the sideswipe or nudge from behind to send another car careening into the wall...most times. There were no restrictor plates and making it through a whole race without some damage to car was a near impossibility.

I have always been a little pissed off that they can't race if it's raining. But some damn windshield wipers on that thing and let's see who can really handle a fast car.

Auto racing and the NFL is apples and oranges. You can't use football rules to gauge the rules in other 'sports'.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 26, 2019 at 9:23 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: My husband is a huge racing fan.  I have been watching this crap (or at least having it playing in the background) for over 30 years.  I don't get the appeal but I do know that in the time I have been subjected to it the rules have changed dramatically.  And the blocking by lapped racers is just a thing.  I don't know that it's officially written in some list of rules somewhere but it's a thing.  Driver's used to beat other driver's asses for stuff like that.  Usually more entertaining than the driving fast and turning left thing IMO.

You simply cannot look at racing and think the rules should be like those in the NFL.  

I remember back when Ernie Irvin was in a bad NASCAR crash and was allowed to go back to driving when he was still dealing with double vision.  Now they can't race if they have a hangnail.  Back in the day NASCAR was about sneaky (or not so sneaky) tactics to win including the sideswipe or nudge from behind to send another car careening into the wall...most times.  There were no restrictor plates and making it through a whole race without some damage to car was a near impossibility.

I have always been a little pissed off that they can't race if it's raining.  But some damn windshield wipers on that thing and let's see who can really handle a fast car.  

Auto racing and the NFL is apples and oranges.  You can't use football rules to gauge the rules in other 'sports'.

Of course it is not the same sport, but the mentality in any sport is the same, competition.

I do not see any difference in any sport.  I have long since hated grunting in tennis, but it is allowed now.

In any sport, I will always advocate for safety, but lets face it, be it auto racing, tennis, soccer, NFL or whatever, the losing individual or team will always do what they have to win.
(May 26, 2019 at 9:20 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Anybody follow the Grand Prix de Monaco?

Yes it was the usual precession.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(May 26, 2019 at 9:47 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 26, 2019 at 9:23 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: My husband is a huge racing fan.  I have been watching this crap (or at least having it playing in the background) for over 30 years.  I don't get the appeal but I do know that in the time I have been subjected to it the rules have changed dramatically.  And the blocking by lapped racers is just a thing.  I don't know that it's officially written in some list of rules somewhere but it's a thing.  Driver's used to beat other driver's asses for stuff like that.  Usually more entertaining than the driving fast and turning left thing IMO.

I remember back when Ernie Irvin was in a bad NASCAR crash and was allowed to go back to driving when he was still dealing with double vision.  Now they can't race if they have a hangnail.  Back in the day NASCAR was about sneaky (or not so sneaky) tactics to win including the sideswipe or nudge from behind to send another car careening into the wall...most times.  There were no restrictor plates and making it through a whole race without some damage to car was a near impossibility.

I have always been a little pissed off that they can't race if it's raining.  But some damn windshield wipers on that thing and let's see who can really handle a fast car.  

Auto racing and the NFL is apples and oranges.  You can't use football rules to gauge the rules in other 'sports'.

Of course it is not the same sport, but the mentality in any sport is the same, competition.

I do not see any difference in any sport.  I have long since hated grunting in tennis, but it is allowed now.

In any sport, I will always advocate for safety, but lets face it, be it auto racing, tennis, soccer, NFL or whatever, the losing individual or team will always do what they have to win.
That's why there are rules and more and more rules all the time to attempt to prevent injuries and to try to curtail cheating.

How can you say both...'of course it is not the same sport...' and 'I do not see any difference in any sport..."?  

Everything isn't black or white in the real world Brian even though it is in your world.

Why would Women do well in car racing? Its a field where the car does most of the work and actually being a bit smaller and lighter might be an advantage.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I think automobile racing is one of those sports that could be greatly improved with a few simple changes:

-Make the racetracks square instead of oval.

-Require each driver to take three shots of whiskey 30 minutes before the race begins (any driver who tests negative for blood alcohol at the end of the race is to be disqualified).

-Pop-up obstacles on the track.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson