Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Adam & Eve Myth - Origins
RE: The Adam & Eve Myth - Origins
There are familiar tropes in the a&e myth, but like most other myths, we assume that the people who held them were the primary contributors to them. 

This, though....
Quote:If these things where 100% real to thee people why would they not share? it is not like they had their own nation, people or religion... it was simply a big family at that point.
.........................is a profound misunderstanding of human culture in that period or any other.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 27, 2019 at 7:57 pm)Gwaithmir Wrote: I'm seeking information on whether or not the biblical Adam & Eve story was derived from earlier myths, such a Babylonian or Sumerian creation stories. Please include citations and or links. Thank you.  Read

Quote:Garden of Eden

The parallels between the stories of Enkidu/Shamhat and Adam/Eve have been long recognized by scholars.[24][25] In both, a man is created from the soil by a god, and lives in a natural setting amongst the animals. He is introduced to a woman who tempts him. In both stories the man accepts food from the woman, covers his nakedness, and must leave his former realm, unable to return. The presence of a snake that steals a plant of immortality from the hero later in the epic is another point of similarity.

Wikipedia -- Epic of Gilgamesh

(May 30, 2019 at 3:44 pm)Drich Wrote:
(May 30, 2019 at 9:33 am)madog Wrote: You may want to rethink what you wrote  Hehe  The fruit is so low even I won't touch it

You got your teeth kicked in by a christian and now want to try and save face by pulling the i don't believe in God card... well too late douche you are all in before you pulled that card.

Drich,

We've been through this both; humanity did not descend from 2 individuals:

Adam and Eve: More than two ancestors?
(May 30, 2019 at 4:11 pm)madog Wrote:
(May 30, 2019 at 3:44 pm)Drich Wrote:  
You got your teeth kicked in by a christian  

Are you using the same standards to qualify this assertion as you do to assert there is a God  Hehe

Sorry douche but these are your attempts to use cannon:

Quote:Lets work this out  ...

Scholars believe the first human settlements in Jerusalem took place during the Early Bronze Age—somewhere around 3500 B.C.

Ken Ham considers the earth is 6,000 years old

Gets out calculator  ... 

Sorry this is only an estimation

When you address cannon in such a way you assume God.. I need not assert anything dummy! that what you don't gt when you argue cannon you are arguing with in the confines precluding any believes you might have outside of cannon. this is true for any subject not just religion.

Once you accept cannon then you can argue it, you can't however accept cannon to argue it then back all the way out when you find your canonical knowledge is lacking.

(May 30, 2019 at 9:09 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(May 27, 2019 at 7:57 pm)Gwaithmir Wrote: I'm seeking information on whether or not the biblical Adam & Eve story was derived from earlier myths, such a Babylonian or Sumerian creation stories. Please include citations and or links. Thank you.  Read

Quote:Garden of Eden

The parallels between the stories of Enkidu/Shamhat and Adam/Eve have been long recognized by scholars.[24][25] In both, a man is created from the soil by a god, and lives in a natural setting amongst the animals. He is introduced to a woman who tempts him. In both stories the man accepts food from the woman, covers his nakedness, and must leave his former realm, unable to return. The presence of a snake that steals a plant of immortality from the hero later in the epic is another point of similarity.

Wikipedia -- Epic of Gilgamesh

(May 30, 2019 at 3:44 pm)Drich Wrote: You got your teeth kicked in by a christian and now want to try and save face by pulling the i don't believe in God card... well too late douche you are all in before you pulled that card.

Drich,

dear dummy,

If we been through this then you know I believe God made evolved man or planted the seed for evolved man day 6 and let him develop with the rest of the world for the 8 bazzion years science needs for evolution to work.
 Got it? 

That said... God also made adam and eve on day 4 apart from the rest of the world an placed them into a garden paradise where they stayed until about 6000 years ago.

So cavegirl you still with me? Genesis 1 tells us made made out side the garden had no soul. genesis 2 says adam and eve where created and put in a garden separately..

Then according to jewish genealogies 6000 years ago adam and eve fell from grace and where booted out of the garden to intermix and mingel with man made on day 6/man with out a soul!

So unless you are stupid and can't follow this narrative genesis 1 and 2 tells (man made on day 6 'evolved' )and first man made who was placed in the garden started the bible off at genesis 3 6000 years ago. Then you are lying about me ever representing man came from just two people...

So if you want to condescend to someone make sure you are not holding the dummy stick first!
(June 3, 2019 at 11:25 am)Drich Wrote:
(May 30, 2019 at 4:11 pm)madog Wrote: Are you using the same standards to qualify this assertion as you do to assert there is a God  Hehe

Sorry douche but these are your attempts to use cannon:

Quote:Lets work this out  ...

Scholars believe the first human settlements in Jerusalem took place during the Early Bronze Age—somewhere around 3500 B.C.

Gets out calculator  ... 

When you address cannon in such a way you assume God.. I need not assert anything dummy! that what you don't gt when you argue cannon you are arguing with in the confines precluding any believes you might have outside of cannon. this is true for any subject not just religion.

Once you accept cannon then you can argue it, you can't however accept cannon to argue it then back all the way out when you find your canonical knowledge is lacking.

(May 30, 2019 at 9:09 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Wikipedia -- Epic of Gilgamesh

Drich,

dear dummy,

If we been through this then you know I believe God made evolved man or planted the seed for evolved man day 6 and let him develop with the rest of the world for the 8 bazzion years science needs for evolution to work.
 Got it? 

That said... God also made adam and eve on day 4 apart from the rest of the world an placed them into a garden paradise where they stayed until about 6000 years ago.

So cavegirl you still with me? Genesis 1 tells us made made out side the garden had no soul. genesis 2 says adam and eve where created and put in a garden separately..

Then according to jewish genealogies 6000 years ago adam and eve fell from grace and where booted out of the garden to intermix and mingel with man made on day 6/man with out a soul!

So unless you are stupid and can't follow this narrative genesis 1 and 2 tells (man made on day 6 'evolved' )and first man made who was placed in the garden started the bible off at genesis 3 6000 years ago. Then you are lying about me ever representing man came from just two people...

So if you want to condescend to someone make sure you are not holding the dummy stick first!

We have been through this then you know FSM made evolved man or planted the divine noodle for evolved man day 4 and let him develop with the rest of the world 
 Got it? 

That said... FSM also made Edam and Brie on day 2 apart from the rest of the world an placed them into the garden of olive where they stayed until they got ripe and delicious.

So oatmeal brain you still with me?  Gemelli 1 tells us cheeses made outside the garden had no zest. Gemelli 2 says Edam and Brie Were created and put in a garden separately, Mostly because they had not ripened yet.

Then according to Pastafarian genealogies 60,000 years ago Edam and Brie fell finally got their flavor and were removed from the Garden of olive to be brought into the world for early man to nibble upon.

So unless you are stupid and can't follow this narrative Gemelli 1 and 2 and you can't because your last two brain cells fight desperately for what little oxygen they get. Then you are lying about everything you say, ever, which you are

So if you want to condescend to someone make sure you are not plagiarizing original sacred texts. Dummy.

Blessings and RAmen

-Typed while eating a meatball sub for lunch-
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(June 3, 2019 at 11:57 am)Nay_Sayer Wrote:
(June 3, 2019 at 11:25 am)Drich Wrote: Sorry douche but these are your attempts to use cannon:

dear dummy,

Got it? 

We have been through this then you know FSM made evolved man or planted the divine noodle for evolved man day 4 and let him develop with the rest of the world 
 Got it? 

That said... FSM also made Edam and Brie on day 2 apart from the rest of the world an placed them into the garden of olive where they stayed until they got ripe and delicious.

So oatmeal brain you still with me?  Gemelli 1 tells us cheeses made outside the garden had no zest. Gemelli 2 says Edam and Brie Were created and put in a garden separately, Mostly because they had not ripened yet.

Then according to Pastafarian genealogies 60,000 years ago Edam and Brie fell finally got their flavor and were removed from the Garden of olive to be brought into the world for early man to nibble upon.

So unless you are stupid and can't follow this narrative Gemelli 1 and 2 and you can't because your last two brain cells fight desperately for what little oxygen they get. Then you are lying about everything you say, ever, which you are

So if you want to condescend to someone make sure you are not plagiarizing original sacred texts. Dummy.

Blessings and RAmen

-Typed while eating a meatball sub for lunch-

Imagine..

Imagine you knew a subject so well you could make these types of corrections. 

Imagine you studied something long and well enough to see where someone who is misrepresenting a segment of a book you well know just at a glance, and know what it said well enough  to correct it..

Now Imagine the book was a real book and not something you can change or reference ad hoc. Something anyone at any point could double check and show you where wrong.

It is clear you want this kind of knowledge or you would not have taken so much time over the years playing out this tired gag... let alone spend 30 mins correcting something none of us even cares to read, as it's all the same. I know the butt hut response will be no one read your crap either but you are wrong... i know because they often times go line by line and idea by idea to try and prove me wrong.

where as nothing in this post to you has anything to do with the religious gag pun/play on words thing you do, despite your efforts. I'm not saying stop... just that i don't think you are impacting the discussion the way you would like to be. You effort here is like those guys at comic con who take an existing walmart costume and then mod it to try and 'make it better.' verse someone who put together a screen accurate costume.

Yes you are both at comic con and yes you both may be only representing a stormtrooper, but there is a huge difference between the time effort and money that went into a screen accurate build and a walmart generic spandex silk screen print body suit with pieces of hot glued plastic for armor plates.. Yes, shamely so there was a time where what you are doing was a prised effort, but that time is long since passed. the 501st will not allow or accept such a poor effort in anymore. Meaning how seriously do you think either side considers such an effort anymore?

I'm only telling you because i don't think your peers will. and the time you spent on this crap, if you cracked a book on anysubject you would have a great foot hold on it by now.
(June 3, 2019 at 11:25 am)Drich Wrote: When you address cannon in such a way you assume God.. I need not assert anything dummy! that what you don't gt when you argue cannon you are arguing with in the confines precluding any believes you might have outside of cannon. this is true for any subject not just religion.

I can argue against any batshit stuff I like .... If you lot want your "cannon" to be just in house, keep the crazy shit to yourselves and stop trying to ram it down the throat of rational people  Hmph
Religion is the top shelf of the supernatural supermarket ... Madog
(June 3, 2019 at 1:11 pm)madog Wrote:
(June 3, 2019 at 11:25 am)Drich Wrote: When you address cannon in such a way you assume God.. I need not assert anything dummy! that what you don't gt when you argue cannon you are arguing with in the confines precluding any believes you might have outside of cannon. this is true for any subject not just religion.

I can argue against any batshit stuff I like .... If you lot want your "cannon" to be just in house, keep the crazy shit to yourselves and stop trying to ram it down the throat of rational people  Hmph
That's my point sport... you can't argue against cannon if you are using cannon to frame your argument! Again dumb ass YOU ARE THE ONE wo brought cannon into the discussion!!! then wanted out when you where proven wrong! So yeah! you can not argue the bible is not valid when you used the bible to frame out a question!
(June 3, 2019 at 1:35 pm)Drich Wrote: That's my point sport... you can't argue against cannon if you are using cannon to frame your argument! Again dumb ass YOU ARE THE ONE wo brought cannon into the discussion!!! then wanted out when you where proven wrong! So yeah! you can not argue the bible is not valid when you used the bible to frame out a question!

You really are a simpleton  .... You asked how long was there between Adam and Eve and the establishment of Jerusalem ... I merely quoted you  ...  Dodgy

That being said I can argue the finer points of "Little Red Riding Hood" if I so choose  ... Just because you think fairy tales are gospel doesn't stop me pointing out the contradictions within you flawed fantasies  Hehe
what happen to your broken resolve? did you forget the OP's question? have you forgotten why your teeth feel mashed in?

The assumption was if an older religion used elements of adam and eve, the wouldn't that invalidate Jurelselms version?

The answer i gave was no if the decendants of adam can be traced through the region where an earilier used said stories, or real any elements of Genesis, because judaism was not a religion yet.

then I showed through the bible that the sumerian people the same people in the OP are the people the jews where born out of because there ws almost 4000 year between the events of the garden and when judaism became a religion.

So you see smart guy you did not quote me when you said:

Quote:Lets work this out ...

Gets out calculator ...

never needed to work anything out..
never mention the first settlement of jerusalem
never mentioned ken ham..

IE you never quoted me. these where your best attempts of framing out a straw man you intended to answer with a punch line. a strawman based on cannon therefore you forgo your right to object a canon based correction.

Here's a tip..

If you want to seem serious and then answer with a joke change the parameters enough so as not to be accountable for your misunderstanding of the set up. As it is not going to be left up to me to make sure your little joke goes off well, as you can see if I have a say in it it will go off in your face leaving you looking stupid for not making a joke but a very stupid observation and getting called on historical data.
(June 3, 2019 at 3:17 pm)Drich Wrote:  
If you want to seem serious and then answer with a joke  

You see Drich its all a joke to me  ... arguing the finer points of Mythology is humour ... you just don't get it  Hehe

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adam & Eve T.J. 4 1037 November 6, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Christians Make Me Sick ~ Eve th Nice Ones Rhondazvous 16 3244 May 17, 2016 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Why the whole Adam and Eve Fall story makes no sense 1994Californication 237 34846 April 3, 2016 at 10:05 am
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Did Yahweh Set Adam Up? Rhondazvous 123 19228 May 2, 2015 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Adam and Eve's IQ Brakeman 61 11010 April 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Kirk Cameron-Don't drink the koolaid and think Christmas had pagan origins. downbeatplumb 122 17872 December 8, 2014 at 10:45 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Richard Carrier - The Romulus/Jesus Myth Connection Minimalist 0 4814 November 8, 2014 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why was Adam exempt from the transgression when the transgression was disobedience? Greatest I am 82 16642 September 28, 2014 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  The "gay recruitment" myth Ryantology 46 7478 September 10, 2014 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Elskidor
  God's injustice towards Adam and Eve Ryantology 131 27928 August 29, 2014 at 10:12 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda