Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum....
A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum....
So I was on my to a drug forum pharmacy, this theist gets in line and argues that Atheism and Science wouldn't exist without Christianity. Look at all the Science philosophers etc. such as Aristotle and many others in early Science were theists. She also claims Atheism is only good b/c all of the roots stem from Christianity, such Great Britain, founded on it, America founded by it, not on it. This lady had me thinking and it really bothers me, is she right? She says also American Slavery was horrific but that all of us were part of slavery throughout history, is this lady a fox news host? LOL, just let me know how you guys feel about it.
RE: A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum....
This should be short, but interesting. Hello new entity.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Thanks wyzas, any hot girls on this forum?
Christianity is 2000 years old at the most. The Ancient Greek philosophers, scientists, and the like lived and died centuries before Christianity was invented.

This woman is a moron.
Dying to live, living to die.
(June 18, 2019 at 6:56 pm)jessieban Wrote: So I was on my to a drug forum pharmacy, this theist gets in line and argues that Atheism and Science wouldn't exist without Christianity. Look at all the Science philosophers etc. such as Aristotle and many others in early Science were theists. She also claims Atheism is only good b/c all of the roots stem from Christianity, such Great Britain, founded on it, America founded by it, not on it. This lady had me thinking and it really bothers me, is she right? She says also American Slavery was horrific but that all of us were part of slavery throughout history, is this lady a fox news host? LOL, just let me know how you guys feel about it.

No. Atheism is the primoradial, healthy and uncontaminated state of all cognition on earth.   Theism is a ruthless self-serving bacillus that subverts the will of its victims and bend all that is good and has real potential for collective growth towards its own aggrandizement.
(June 18, 2019 at 6:56 pm)jessieban Wrote: So I was on my to a drug forum pharmacy, this theist gets in line and argues that Atheism and Science wouldn't exist without Christianity. Look at all the Science philosophers etc. such as Aristotle and many others in early Science were theists. She also claims Atheism is only good b/c all of the roots stem from Christianity, such Great Britain, founded on it, America founded by it, not on it. This lady had me thinking and it really bothers me, is she right? She says also American Slavery was horrific but that all of us were part of slavery throughout history, is this lady a fox news host? LOL, just let me know how you guys feel about it.

That is bullshit.  Humans evolved to be curious and seek patterns in life. Every religion has followers who like to claim their religion invented science. 

Google search, "Jewish science" then google search "Hindu science" then google search "Muslim science" then google search "Buddhist science". 

Our species ability to make discoveries and invent things is in our evolution, not any religion. We can also observe other mammals and primates figuring things out and even using rocks and sticks to get at food. 

Scientific method is completely independent from any religion. It is why a computer will work in Japan, Iran and Brazil. It is why the flu vaccine will work in France and Saudi Arabia.
This is making my god spot hurt.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Do you truly have nothing better to do with your life, you stinky, stinky, old and boring sock?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
While few monks here and there made few discoveries we can safely say that Christianity is against freethinking and ultimately science.
I mean many theologians from Aquinas on advocated the killing of heretics, hardly an endorsement of freethinking. So this is not just against freethinking but Christians actually disrupted freethinking for centuries.

Martin Luther was famous for his attacks on reason. Besides persecuting Galileo and Giordano Bruno for their heresies, some of which involved science, and burning Bruno alive, the Catholic Church burned books and maintained infamous Index Librorum Prohibitorum, which for four centuries protected its flock from thinking. That included science, for the list included works by Kepler, Francis Bacon, Erasmus Darwin, Copernicus, and Galileo.

So please answer me this: Why would an institution that promoted science make it a sin to read books by scientists?

And why would an institution in favor of free inquiry ban philosophy books by Pascal, Hobbes, Spinoza, and Hume?

Why did they destroy so many ancient books? A lot of times they erased them to write Bible on them.

Also Catholic Church famously condemned the University of Paris in 1277 for teaching 219 philosophical, theological, and scientific "errors."
(June 18, 2019 at 6:56 pm)jessieban Wrote: ...This lady had me thinking and it really bothers me...

I think this pretty much sums up your issue, buddy.

Maybe I can help. My advice is to try thinking a whole bunch (like marathon levels) and see if you can't somehow become acclimated to it.

If (after trying the "thought marathon" strategy) you find that thinking still arouses "bothersome" reactions, just give up. Go bask in the comfortable sun rays of fundamentalist doctrine. You tried. No one can fault you for not putting in the effort. Well, I suppose your new fundamentalist buddies might fault you for it... but nobody else will.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 239 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 817 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  Theocracy on the way Spongebob 94 5380 January 19, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 962 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2655 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 959 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 13573 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 27364 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  The only way I could believe ....... Brian37 16 3383 April 28, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Losing my religion was the best thing that ever happened to me. Mechaghostman2 30 5768 November 6, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus