Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dryer exhaust, need advice.
Dryer exhaust, need advice.
Just heard a rapped tapping noise coming from my dryer. Brand new, so I unplugged it to see if it would reset. But the noise wasn't coming from the dryer itself, but the flap of the outdoor port where the air comes out. It isn't the machine itself, but why the fuck is the flap on the outside flapping and tapping when the machine isn't running? All I can think is that there is a difference in outside air pressure, flow and the exhaust tube causing the flap to move.
RE: Dryer exhaust, need advice.
Is something inside it? Maybe a squirrel or something found it's way in and can't find it's way out.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Best bet, arewethereyet! If so, get some window screen to go just inside the vent.
[Image: SY44RTQ3EVHKNF44TU3MVJBTZA.jpg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 22, 2019 at 7:15 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Is something inside it?  Maybe a squirrel or something found it's way in and can't find it's way out.

No, it isn't a roof exhaust port. It is a side port which also has cover so rain won't get in. It stopped now so it is most likely simply a difference in air flow' temperature between inside and outside.
(June 22, 2019 at 8:32 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(June 22, 2019 at 7:15 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Is something inside it?  Maybe a squirrel or something found it's way in and can't find it's way out.

No, it isn't a roof exhaust port. It is a side port which also has cover so rain won't get in. It stopped now so it is most likely simply a difference in air flow' temperature between inside and outside.

If your dryer isn't running there shouldn't be any air flow in the duct.  And exhausts often aren't on the roof.  Squirrels find all kinds of ways to get inside.  Birds are also known to slip into them and make nests.

It was just an idea.  Maybe it's a ghost.  Hell, I don't know...just trying to throw some ideas out there.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(June 22, 2019 at 9:15 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(June 22, 2019 at 8:32 pm)Brian37 Wrote: No, it isn't a roof exhaust port. It is a side port which also has cover so rain won't get in. It stopped now so it is most likely simply a difference in air flow' temperature between inside and outside.

If your dryer isn't running there shouldn't be any air flow in the duct.  And exhausts often aren't on the roof.  Squirrels find all kinds of ways to get inside.  Birds are also known to slip into them and make nests.

It was just an idea.  Maybe it's a ghost.  Hell, I don't know...just trying to throw some ideas out there.

Nothing got under the flap. I was worried for nothing. It is simply a noise it makes during and slightly after use. It has stopped now. It was a air flow and temperature difference between inside and outside Once the tube and flap cooled down it stopped. It had nothing to do with a clog or function of the unit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dating Advice FrustratedFool 77 3308 October 30, 2023 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: BananaFlambe
  [Serious] Relationship Advice zwanzig 8 1348 December 11, 2022 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Copycats and an advice WinterHold 14 1043 February 4, 2020 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath