Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does there need to be a God?
Why does there need to be a God?
This question is not aimed at atheists. I have long since accepted that there is no meaning to all this in cosmic time. 

I cannot for the life of me swallow any concept of a super hero who has ultimate control over my life. It makes sense when you are a child that someone needs to guide you. But as an adult it is absurd, that even then, you need to be told not to murder or rape or steal. 

I've seen plenty of acts of compassion and cooperation in other life outside our species. I've seen plenty of acts of cruelty too in other species. 

I am tired of life being attributed to the claims of antiquity. I cant do shit about my mother dying. I hated watching her take her last breath. But I also know that other species mourn and fear like I did that moment. Elephants are a prime example of relatives caring about their young and their dead. 

I am tired of humans thinking we are special. "I am not special" does not mean I am evil, or I want to die. It just means I accept there is no magic as to why I am here. 

When one studies enough of human history worldwide, you learn that there is enough cruelty to go around. When you study enough worldwide you also learn that there is enough compassion and empathy also.

Recently I tried to save a couple of baby birds who'd either fallen out of their nest, or had been pushed out of the nest by siblings or the parents themselves.  I cannot imagine  a perfect being, a perfect babysitter, or pet sitter, who could stop such torture, but did not. 

There is no reason for such. Saying that something has no reason other than being random, does not mean you are advocating cruelty or harm. It merely means to mitigate it, to reduce the occurrence, you study and observe it, then work to reduce it. Bad  happens, and will always will and everyone dies eventually. I simply hate that far too much of my species wants superstition, fictional god/s and placebos to problem solve.

I'd rather die in reality than to pin my hopes on fictional utopias that will never happen. Life is too short to live in fantasy.
RE: Why does there need to be a God?
Because humans are super duper special.
(July 4, 2019 at 1:18 am)no one Wrote: Because humans are super duper special.

That is what most humans think, sure. But to think "all this" was put here for one species on one speck of dust in one galaxy of billions in a 13.8 billion year old universe...... If there was a "creator" it would have to be a giant douchebag. 

I'd like to think, while there are scientific observations that help us make sense of our observations as a species, I cannot buy that we are mere poker chips, props, pawns or lab rats for this narcissist's amusement.
Humans aren't really all that smart. But don't worry, what they lack in brainpower they make up for in arrogance.
Who else could offer up mansions, strippers, 24/7 doughnut delivery and a beer volcano in the afterlife?
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(July 4, 2019 at 1:32 am)no one Wrote: Humans aren't really all that smart. But don't worry, what they lack in brainpower they make up for in arrogance.

How "smart" was I three days ago, to not put my socks on,  and put on my shoes, and walk around in my yard just after the grass was freshly cut. Woke up the next day to both my feet and ankles covered in very painful puss filled zits. Fire ants don't give a fuck about our politics or races or nationalities.

Damned sure that a panda in the wild in China isn't going to ask you if you are American. Damned sure a cobra in India isn't going to give a fuck where you are born if you invade it's space. 

Humans are smart. But our problem is greed has far too much tendency to override pragmatism.
It's funny thing the human being, they are the most intelligent creature on the planet, and at the same time they are the most retarded creature the planet has to offer.
(July 4, 2019 at 1:53 am)no one Wrote: It's funny thing the human being, they are the most intelligent creature on the planet, and at the same time they are the most retarded creature the planet has to offer.

I don't think it has to be a choice of "ignorance is bliss".  That sounds to much like "The meek shall inherit the earth".

I will never be a fan of "ignorance is bliss". But at the same time. I will also never be a fan of greed or ego.

I still see our species potential to do good and be good. If you want to argue trajectory at our current time in history, that would be a better argument. 

I am not happy with our species focus on tribalism and greed.
If ignorance is bliss, many people are orgasmic.
(July 4, 2019 at 1:18 am)Brian37 Wrote: This question is not aimed at atheists. I have long since accepted that there is no meaning to all this in cosmic time. 

I cannot for the life of me swallow any concept of a super hero who has ultimate control over my life. It makes sense when you are a child that someone needs to guide you. But as an adult it is absurd, that even then, you need to be told not to murder or rape or steal. 

I've seen plenty of acts of compassion and cooperation in other life outside our species. I've seen plenty of acts of cruelty too in other species. 

I am tired of life being attributed to the claims of antiquity. I cant do shit about my mother dying. I hated watching her take her last breath. But I also know that other species mourn and fear like I did that moment. Elephants are a prime example of relatives caring about their young and their dead. 

I am tired of humans thinking we are special. "I am not special" does not mean I am evil, or I want to die. It just means I accept there is no magic as to why I am here. 

When one studies enough of human history worldwide, you learn that there is enough cruelty to go around. When you study enough worldwide you also learn that there is enough compassion and empathy also.

Recently I tried to save a couple of baby birds who'd either fallen out of their nest, or had been pushed out of the nest by siblings or the parents themselves.  I cannot imagine  a perfect being, a perfect babysitter, or pet sitter, who could stop such torture, but did not. 

There is no reason for such. Saying that something has no reason other than being random, does not mean you are advocating cruelty or harm. It merely means to mitigate it, to reduce the occurrence, you study and observe it, then work to reduce it. Bad  happens, and will always will and everyone dies eventually. I simply hate that far too much of my species wants superstition, fictional god/s and placebos to problem solve.

I'd rather die in reality than to pin my hopes on fictional utopias that will never happen. Life is too short to live in fantasy.

Humans need god every bit as much as halfwits need stupid.

It’s not a need.  It’s a symptom.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does anyone convert to Islam? FrustratedFool 28 2029 September 6, 2023 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why does science always upstage God? ignoramus 940 118532 October 26, 2022 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2475 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Why does God care about S E X? zwanzig 83 4682 November 15, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 10617 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  The absurd need for logical proofs for God R00tKiT 225 13412 December 31, 2020 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1362 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does afterlife need God? Fake Messiah 7 1355 February 4, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3442 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3722 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger