Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Don't take away people's hope"
"Don't take away people's hope"
A long time ago online a fellow liberal upon reading my criticism of religion posted, "Don't take away people's hope". I wasn't an experienced debater back then, and I did back off at first. But since, I had read the posts of countless others, and many skeptic authors as well. I wasn't trying to take away anyone's hope. If you have a telescope and someone insists a Kaleidoscope is the truth, how are you helping them by letting them think that? Galileo wasn't trying to shit on anyone by saying the earth revolved around the sun, and not the sun revolving around the earth. But for his truth telling he was punished. The only "hope" mythology offers is a temporary placebo. Real hope is facing reality.

I do not confront religion because I hate my fellow humans. I confront bad claims. 

RE: "Don't take away people's hope"
The taking away hope response is pretty bland. Religions don’t own hope. People produce it internally.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 1, 2019 at 2:44 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: The taking away hope response is pretty bland.  Religions don’t own hope.  People produce it internally.

Humans once had hope in Ra, Isis,Osiris and Horus, and they were successful for 3,000 years. But none of those gods were real.

"Religion" is simply a popular belief that has yet to die and become a future mythology.

The fear of pain is reasonable, the fear of not existing is bullshit knowing one has no self awareness prior to one's birth either.
I don't see the point in trying to take away someone's religion. That's never my goal in talking about it. I just say what I know or think to be true. What they do with it isn't my concern.
Yup. They’re gonna do whatever it is they do anyway. I don’t think that anyone in all of creation has ever had their religion taken from them. I’m pretty sure it’s not possible, lol.

People will have to abandon them themselves.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 1, 2019 at 3:43 pm)Shell B Wrote: I don't see the point in trying to take away someone's religion. That's never my goal in talking about it. I just say what I know or think to be true. What they do with it isn't my concern.

"Hope" is the key word.

If we always coddled the "hope" of the religious, the church would have been correct in arresting Galileo.

I think we are saying the same things.

"Truth".  And I agree. 

I am not trying to outlaw religion. I know you know that. But lets not confuse "hope" with "religion". 

One is of human rights, and we both agree on that. The other is exactly what you said "Just say what I know or think to be true".

That is why I think it is better for humanity to look through a telescope than a kaleidoscope.
(August 1, 2019 at 3:47 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Yup.  They’re gonna do whatever it is they do anyway.  I don’t think that anyone in all of creation has ever had their religion taken from them.  I’m pretty sure it’s not possible, lol.  

Yeah, so there's really no point in trying. I don't really know any atheists who do, fwiw.
Not a whole lot of knocking on doors asking if you’ve heard the no news.
(August 1, 2019 at 4:01 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(August 1, 2019 at 3:47 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Yup.  They’re gonna do whatever it is they do anyway.  I don’t think that anyone in all of creation has ever had their religion taken from them.  I’m pretty sure it’s not possible, lol.  

Yeah, so there's really no point in trying. I don't really know any atheists who do, fwiw.

Saying humans will do what they do is obvious. But progress never happened even with liberal theists by even liberal theists accepting the status quo.

Malala got shot multiple times as  Muslim defending girls right to get an education. MLK lost his life defending African Americans. 

There IS  a point trying. We no longer believe the earth is flat. Women have the right to vote. Blacks are no longer slaves.
Quote:I am not trying to outlaw religion. I know you know that. But lets not confuse "hope" with "religion". 

So you're trying to outlaw hope?  Good luck with that.  Hilarious 
Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1197 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3441 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  My take on Christianity - Judaism - Islam Mystic 32 6502 November 14, 2018 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously vulcanlogician 75 7491 October 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If you're pro-life, how far do you take that? robvalue 147 13134 August 10, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Again??? This is why Jesus keeps well away Cyberman 25 5085 September 18, 2017 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Get those kids o there! (Theists at Jacksonville try to pray Hurricane Irma away) causal code 20 6244 September 11, 2017 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7743 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Here are 5 big reasons why Americans are turning away from religion — according to sc Minimalist 3 1514 January 25, 2017 at 9:43 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  "Jesus take the wheel, 'cause I sure ain't!" Gawdzilla Sama 19 2067 December 20, 2016 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Asmodee