Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 9:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DRL
DRL
Gaming or tech.... I guess this is either..

Anyone watched Drone Racing League?

I saw it for the first time yesterday - was fascinated - then quickly lost interest.

Why?

I love the technology. I have been flying radio controlled since the early days of proportional controls. (I even got tapped to fly a single channel (not proportional )that a local club built.

The advances in tech have been amazing. 

However - it seems to make idiots of the users.

I've met some drone pilots and for the most part they had no idea at all about the building of aircraft. These guys just buy stuff ready to fly.

They treat these things like a video game come to life. Hell they don't even bother to land at the end of a race - but crash into a net.

I'd rather watch guys flying something they built. Scratch built, even more.

And for crissakes - put an engine it. I don't like stuff that sounds like a flying blender.
RE: DRL
(August 12, 2019 at 8:13 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Gaming or tech.... I guess this is either..

Anyone watched Drone Racing League?

I saw it for the first time yesterday - was fascinated - then quickly lost interest.

Why?

I love the technology. I have been flying radio controlled since the early days of proportional controls. (I even got tapped to fly a single channel (not proportional )that a local club built.

The advances in tech have been amazing. 

However - it seems to make idiots of the users.

I've met some drone pilots and for the most part they had no idea at all about the building of aircraft. These guys just buy stuff ready to fly.

They treat these things like a video game come to life. Hell they don't even bother to land at the end of a race - but crash into a net.

I'd rather watch guys flying something they built. Scratch built, even more.

And for crissakes - put an engine it. I don't like stuff that sounds like a flying blender.

Never heard of it. But I agree and to me, these toys need some sort of education like drivers license to be sold. There were people here that were flying those near Lisbon airport that is an obvious danger. One of those things sucked into an engine during takeoff might spell disaster.

Also, the cops grabbed a guy smuggling drugs and cellphones into prison with a drone.
I saw a video last week of a guy flying himself in his hammock attached to some drones. Id rather do that than race drones.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I can remember when the Mythbusters couldn't get themselves off the ground with twin props. Now it's ho-hum.
No big deal.

Convair XFR (Pogo) flew in 1954.

Avro VZ9 flew in 59.