Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should college sports players be paid?
Should college sports players be paid?
I am torn on this. Yes in the sense that they abuse their bodies and the college rakes in the bucks. No, in the context that giant corporations will basically own everything. 

There has to be a balance that values education without the exploitation.

If the player is just going to make a name for themselves in sports, then skip the college. If the player is playing sports and also wants an education, then yes, they should get paid.

If the player is simply faking their way through the academics just to get into pro sports, no.
RE: Should college sports players be paid?
It's probably my generation but I say no.

These players get plenty of perks as it is.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 30, 2019 at 6:41 pm)wyzas Wrote: It's probably my generation but I say no.

These players get plenty of perks as it is.

At what level? I think people think like this at the top level. But there are far more colleges than the ones we see on the weekends on ESPN.

I agree that it isn't enough for most soccer, field hockey, tennis, male and female basketball players to get a scholarship. And even at the famous college level, my worry is that giant corporations will simply turn college into a bigger greed scam than it already is.

I say no too. I simply cannot trust giant corporations. 

I myself have sided with NFL players in union strikes knowing that prior to getting into the league they have spent decades abusing their bodies without pay. But my problem is MOST college players of ANY SPORTS, not just the ones that make Cable or National TV, most of them should rely on the education, not the sport, because most of them will not make the pro level.

I just don't want corporations making things worse.
Corporations cant be trusted, so workers shouldn't be paid?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
University sports should be eliminated.  Since that won't ever happen, of COURSE players should be paid.  Coaches are paid (sometimes scandalously so). Team managers and administrators are paid.  Why shouldn't the athletes be paid?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Now that cali's let the cat out of the bag every state will need to get on board. Time to sit back and see where this goes.
I think it depends on the university. If you're raking in the big bucks on the backs of these players, pay them. If you're a pissant state college without funds, your money shouldn't be spent on athletics.
(October 1, 2019 at 3:44 pm)Shell B Wrote: I think it depends on the university. If you're raking in the big bucks on the backs of these players, pay them. If you're a pissant state college without funds, your money shouldn't be spent on athletics.

It's not the schools that will be paying them.: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/sport...-paid.html

And it appears that piss ant colleges have football teams to boost enrollment: https://www.insidehighered.com/admission...-important
So the question isn’t whether they should be paid, but rather whether they should do endorsements.

I’m not saying pissant colleges shouldn’t have football, though I fail to see the point. I’m saying they shouldn’t spend money on it. People who are going to college to play football really need to aim higher than “school that has a football team just to get people to go there.”
(October 1, 2019 at 11:53 pm)Shell B Wrote: So the question isn’t whether they should be paid, but rather whether they should do endorsements.

I’m not saying pissant colleges shouldn’t have football, though I fail to see the point. I’m saying they shouldn’t spend money on it. People who are going to college to play football really need to aim higher than “school that has a football team just to get people to go there.”

But allowing endorsements is getting paid, for the players and their agents. To get endorsements you need to be a marketable name/brand. The motivation to become that name, at a college/uni sport level, might be problematic for the schools/teams. We'll have to wait and see. 

And I'm not saying that I agree with the motivation for schools to have football teams. It's what I am reading.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Of comedy and sports. A HELP ME thread. Brian37 9 1180 October 15, 2021 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Abusive sports fans. 0P Brian37 20 1706 June 7, 2021 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sports, football vs figure skating...... Brian37 11 948 January 16, 2021 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Ok sports fans, no matter the sport........ Brian37 7 507 December 12, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The myth of the draft in pro sports. Brian37 3 517 December 29, 2019 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Marginalized sports viocjit 49 5220 August 1, 2019 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Anyone into combat sports? EgoDeath 24 2112 March 17, 2019 at 10:22 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Will be walking the sports plank soon. Brian37 4 1035 February 4, 2019 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  Where sports/politics and religion meet. Brian37 0 470 January 28, 2019 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Anyone got news on college playoffs? Brian37 3 625 December 6, 2018 at 12:25 am
Last Post: Minimalist