Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The evolution of logic
The evolution of logic
Guys, been reading the UFO thread and other religious threads and the wife today said something which ties in with all this.
(back story: I bought a aircon relief vent the other day, I took the 6 baffle things out to mount the frame in the ceiling. This took a few days as I was doing paint touchups as well. Anyway, the job's done and it's time now to pop in the 6 baffles.

Can't find them anywhere! We both looked everywhere many times.
She even made me go look thoroughly in the roof cavity!
So they're not anywhere, so her logical conclusion was that I accidentally threw them away when I put the bins out the other day.)
I certainly couldn't explain it, but I also wasn't convinced that I threw them out. In my mind this was a very unlikely scenario.
But what choice did she have? Could she just have left it at: oh well, they're gone, it's a mystery, let's just leave it at that.
Would you guys accept an answer like that?

Anyway, I checked our security cameras that night and as it turns out, she drove out to post a letter, not realising they were on her trunk (boot).
They fell off as she left the driveway, then not long after some bloke walks to see what they are and picks them up and pisses off with them!

So I guess I'm asking whether "it could also be something we haven't thought of yet" should always be an option when looking at reality and trying to determine results using an event using logic. Apparently for the Mrs, this option was not an option. I can tell you guys that she's not a critical thinker.

So, as far as evolution goes, I s'pose there were less options for explanations the further back we go? eg: caveman, if I dance it rains, I better stop dancing? Sounds logical, right? What about the middle ages? Same deal but let's throw gods and demons in the mix.

Now I read the UFO thread and I'm hearing lots of different logic for why things happen? Can more than one logic processes be as valid as each other?
I think so, as long as the mind is unbiased. I think how our logic differs may just be a philosophical position in the end?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: The evolution of logic
Yes there were a million and one possibilities to what happened to your baffles. Have you considered that the kind gentleman who picked them up, may have handed them in at the local police station? Logic tells us that he's nicked them, but there is always an alternative way of looking at things.
I just think that we try to look at things logically and come to reasonable conclusion based on evidence and past experience.

It's interesting but not at all surprising that your good lady came to the conclusion that it was your fault Smile I hope you've shown her the cctv footage.
I dunno Iggy. Kind of sounds like a massive rationalization for "I'm getting old and can't remember shit".  Hilarious

Maybe your story helps solidify why so many many people are not comfortable with "we don't know yet" and make up answers so that they can feel comfortable.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The term UFO does of course imply that any and all options are possible. They are Unidentified Flying Objects.

The illogic is that.many people equate that accronym with extraterresrial space ships. 

That's only one option.

It's just like the digital idiots - those people that think politics breaks down into two camps - "us" and "them". The truth is people are not that simple.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let us go back to "cold" hard logic."Time" Mystic 75 11173 November 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Logic Fallacies: A Quiz to Test Your Knowledge, A Cheat Sheet to Refresh It Rhondazvous 0 980 March 6, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  On Logic and Alternate Universes FallentoReason 328 37378 November 17, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Formal logic for Dummies? LadyForCamus 48 8634 February 6, 2016 at 8:35 am
Last Post: robvalue
  10 commandments of logic meme drfuzzy 10 3550 January 2, 2016 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Logic 101 Tiberius 29 19204 October 4, 2015 at 7:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  10 commandments of logic drfuzzy 15 4858 August 28, 2015 at 5:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Logic tells me God doesn't exist but my heart says otherwise. Mystic 81 17324 October 17, 2014 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Practical Applications of Apologetic Logic DeistPaladin 5 1558 July 28, 2014 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Formal Logic Classes OGirly 8 2975 March 29, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle