Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooking Tips
Cooking Tips
This is NOT a recipe thread (not yet, at least :Smile ), but a place to share cooking tips and tricks you've picked up along the way.  Here's a few:

-If you've batter-fired anything, don't drain it on paper towels. This traps the steam and runs the risk of making the bottom soggy.  Use a narrow gauge cooling rack or a sheet of slightly crumpled foil.

-Even if the recipe doesn't call for it, add a smidge of corn flour to any tempura batter. It makes the batter adhere to the food better.

-You can disinfect wooden cutting boards with white vinegar.  It's acidic enough to kill any lurking salmonella germs, and won't change the taste of the next thing you cut.

-Meat, veg and eggs should always be at room temperature before you start cooking them.

-Parchment paper is king.

Any others?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Cooking Tips
Don’t barbecue in the nude unless you want a sausage sizzle.
Dying to live, living to die.
I'll ask my personal chef and get back to you. [Image: Thumbs%20Up.png]
(November 7, 2019 at 8:01 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Don’t barbecue in the nude unless you want a sausage sizzle.

Back in my bachelor days, I was frying eggs in the nuddy. It all went grand until I dropped the hot pan on the way to the sink.  Had to call and cancel my date for that night.

And no, I didn't tell her why.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I am a big fan of the mise en place style of cooking. It also reduces the risk of burning/overcooking things.
Illegitimi non carborundum
(November 7, 2019 at 8:06 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 7, 2019 at 8:01 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Don’t barbecue in the nude unless you want a sausage sizzle.

Back in my bachelor days, I was frying eggs in the nuddy. It all went grand until I dropped the hot pan on the way to the sink.  Had to call and cancel my date for that night.

And no, I didn't tell her why.

Boru

I rest my case.

Tongue
I've been threatened with an injunction if I'm seen within 10 feet of the kitchen.
Apparently, the dishwasher is not meant for cleaning dirty car parts and the oven is not a powdercoating oven Dunno who knew?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I'd be happy with this thread including some recipes.

However - I don't enjoy cooking and I am not adventurous or skilled as far as food is concerned.

I struggle with cooking for two after spending years cooking for five plus however many extras showed up with my kids. Not all recipes that were in my usual rotation cut down well from A LOT to dinner for two with maybe a lunch leftover.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(November 7, 2019 at 9:44 pm)ignoramus Wrote: I've been threatened with an injunction if I'm seen within 10 feet of the kitchen.
Apparently, the dishwasher is not meant for cleaning dirty car parts and the oven is not a powdercoating oven Dunno who knew?

Tell your missus that I can remove you if she want.
(November 7, 2019 at 9:44 pm)ignoramus Wrote: I've been threatened with an injunction if I'm seen within 10 feet of the kitchen.

Other opinions aside, how is either of these activities a problem if your plates don't taste like engine oil and your roast chicken doesn't taste like enamel? Careful how you answer. Maybe your wife's cooking has those flavors already? I don't have to duck, since I'm pretty much about half way around the planet.  Hehe

In my house, I found out that I despise the stench of rosemary. Tossed the jar out. The wife was a bit upset, but I explained that I take enough other guff, rosemary is a gone spice. It stinks like reclaimed vegetation from the recycle yard.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cooking vs Restaurants Spongebob 107 5420 September 19, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What's cooking, good-looking? Mr.Obvious 45 2271 April 3, 2019 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What are you cooking/eating right now? Joods 1249 72061 December 18, 2017 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Insomniac support and tips Jackalope 88 10744 June 14, 2017 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Cooking Morel Mushrooms Mechaghostman2 3 789 May 12, 2017 at 5:52 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Money-Saving Tips from Tibs and Shell Shell B 97 10376 December 10, 2016 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  What's everyone cooking for turkey day? brewer 43 6502 November 18, 2016 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Over-caffeinated, your tips? Foxaèr 44 3284 July 24, 2016 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What are you cooking/eating for Thanksgiving? SteelCurtain 46 4442 November 27, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Cooking with Dyre Double Recipe Late night munchies + Bread pudding dyresand 0 1328 November 13, 2015 at 2:50 am
Last Post: dyresand