Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betelgeuse might go off
Betelgeuse might go off
Betelgeuse is dimming which means it might become a supernova at any minute and if it does it will be very bright on our sky (almost like a second sun) and will be seen even during the day which didn't happen since 1604.

But then again it's maybe just a phase and it won't explode in next 100 thousand years.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/26/world/bet...index.html
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Betelgeuse might go off
Zaphod is understandably upset....
It MIGHT go supernova.
It was still there when I checked just now
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 27, 2019 at 6:51 pm)Alex K Wrote: It was still there when I checked just now

Try again at noon.
It's just Galactus fuckin with us. 

[Image: main-qimg-c38c48925f768a37bed2b87c354b9d54]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 27, 2019 at 8:09 pm)brewer Wrote: It's just Galactus fuckin with us. 

[Image: main-qimg-c38c48925f768a37bed2b87c354b9d54]

Weird dietary requirements for that guy.
(December 27, 2019 at 5:19 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Betelgeuse is dimming which means it might become a supernova at any minute and if it does it will be very bright on our sky (almost  like a second sun) and will be seen even during the day which didn't happen since 1604.

But then again it's maybe just a phase and it won't explode in next 100 thousand years.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/26/world/bet...index.html

Huh, no.  It will be more like a second Venus.   It will barely be visible during the day, but the brightest object in the night sky other than the moon.

It’s not clear to me whether there is indeed any theoretical basis to believing a red supergiant like Betelgeuse would in fact suddenly dim right before going supernova,  or if this is a case where we are so eager to see a bright nearby supernova before we die that we whip ourselves into a frenzy taking any semi unusual occurances to be the sure sign for end times, for Betelgeuse, at least.
The dimming is not an indicator that it's about to go boom. Betelgeuse is a known variable star - though this is the most it has dimmed in a long time.

The star is definitely on the verge of going super nova but that is in stellar time. Even a star as massive as Betelgeuse has a lifetime of about 10 million years. That's very short compared to the 10 billion-year life of the sun or 1 trillion-year+ life of red dwarf stars but it's still ridiculously long in human terms. Even if it's in the last tenth of a percent of its life, that's still a period of 10,000 years!

I'd sure love to see it happen but it's probably wishful thinking.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(December 28, 2019 at 11:42 am)AFTT47 Wrote: The dimming is not an indicator that it's about to go boom. Betelgeuse is a known variable star - though this is the most it has dimmed in a long time.

The star is definitely on the verge of going super nova but that is in stellar time. Even a star as massive as Betelgeuse has a lifetime of about 10 million years. That's very short compared to the 10 billion-year life of the sun or 1 trillion-year+ life of red dwarf stars but it's still ridiculously long in human terms. Even if it's in the last tenth of a percent of its life, that's still a period of 10,000 years!

I'd sure love to see it happen but it's probably wishful thinking.

So, Popcorn

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the Light Go when you Turn the Switch Off? Rhondazvous 9 1961 August 5, 2016 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  Tyson Picks Up Where Sagan Left Off Minimalist 3 1108 February 12, 2014 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Rainbow There might be another copy of you 10^10^29 Metres away. theVOID 41 6943 July 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower
  More News to Piss Off the 'Goddidit' Crowd! Minimalist 1 1197 May 11, 2011 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: tackattack