Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bloomberg - Really?
RE: Bloomberg - Really?
And it’s here I’d like to point out that, regardless of what any conservatives may say, the single biggest tenet that’s shone through conservatism throughout the centuries is not fiscal responsibility or even small government, but the creation/constant maintenance of social hierarchies at all cost.

I’m not saying that there aren’t conservatives who actually do prioritise fiscal responsibility or small government. I’m just saying that, in practice, in the context of the larger movement, if there’s a conflict between any of the three, the focus on hierarchy WILL win out.

I legitimately suspect that, if they don’t just dismiss it just because it’s not coming from a source with an obvious right-wing bias, the simpler reality WILL be too much for them to handle.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
If my choice is between a right wing authoritarian and a right wing authoritarian playing a progressive on TV I say to hell with it. I won't vote for either of them. asking me to choose between Bloomberg and Trump is like asking me if I want liver cancer or lung cancer. people that think he's better than Trump should read this. He's as racist, sexist, authoritarian, right wing, and fuck the poor, etc as Trump only smart enough to get it done and have the support of the elite, and the endorsement of the Democratic party should he succeed in his attempt to buy the nomination.

an article well worth the read. I'm voting Amy in the primary BTW, and I'll vote for any Democrat in the general except Bloomberg. if he's my choice, I will abstain or vote third party.

https://theweek.com/articles/895985/mike...n=facebook
I should point out that Bloomberg isn’t on the ballot in a lot of primaries. I don’t have the time to check, but I have to ask, when’s the last time ANY major party candidate was excluded from the ballot in a single primary and still won the nomination? The only candidate I can remember was Abraham Lincoln. And that was 160 years ago.

(February 14, 2020 at 2:16 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 14, 2020 at 1:56 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I thought Bush Jr was bad at the time. But hindsight is 2020. Nobody can tell me that even as bad as he was, he'd have dare done what Trump has done. 

I'd take Jeb or Mitt over Trump. 

50 former republican intel agents warned America not to elect him during his run. 700 nationwide, politically diverse prosecutors during the impeachment process all agreed anyone outside that office would have been indicted. This is not politics as normal.

I don't like that Bloomburg is a billionaire, but I'll take him over Trump any day of the week.

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but attempting to see into the future is more difficult.

Boru

I agree, I didn't think it would get worse than Bush Jr, and I actually liked Bush Sr, not on economics, but personally. So yea. I get what you are saying.

But right now, history has clearly shown that when politics goes beyond attacks on policy, and gets into the scapegoating, vilification, hypernationalism, bigotry, racism, xenophobia, while offering yourself up as the only solution to "make Germany great again", bad things follow.
(February 19, 2020 at 3:56 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(February 14, 2020 at 2:16 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but attempting to see into the future is more difficult.

Boru

I agree, I didn't think it would get worse than Bush Jr, and I actually liked Bush Sr, not on economics, but personally. So yea. I get what you are saying.

But right now, history has clearly shown that when politics goes beyond attacks on policy, and gets into the scapegoating, vilification, hypernationalism, bigotry, racism, xenophobia, while offering yourself up as the only solution to "make Germany great again", bad things follow.

No, you don't get what I'm saying.  I'm saying that your contention that ANYONE would be better than Trump is an attempt on your part to see into the future.  You cannot possibly know that.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 14, 2020 at 4:19 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Even conservative presidential scholars rank Trump in the bottom five presidents we've ever had. I'm not hoping for a Bloomberg nomination, but he has at least some grasp of responsible governance, even if he didn't always achieve it. Pence would be an improvement over Trump. The bar is very, very low.

Agreed. I don't want another billionaire running for office or holding that office. But I do not see Bloomberg as the same type of asshole who would not take others into account. My dream runner would have been Michelle. I'd even take Oprah. 

Bloomberg does not strike me as someone  who would want to destroy checks on power, even if you think he is a corporatist. Bloomberg IS MOST CERTAINLY NOT my first choice. My first choice right now is Pete, then Warren, then Biden. But before Harris dropped out, I was rooting for her.
I am on board the Warren train, I like her takes and passion about income inequality and her willingness to take on corporate america. I have been waiting for her to run, but I am a little disappointed about the initial support she has received from Dem voters.
Yeah, great. Let's just trade one sexist, racist, party-switching, billionaire, pussy-grabber who makes his victims sign NDAs for another. Dodgy
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
During the debate, Bloomberg and the rest of the candidates that aren't Bernie stated openly that whoever gets the most delegates, and wins the popular vote, should not automatically win the nomination. So basically everyone's going to stay in the race as long as possible to make sure Bernie doesn't get a majority. This is why people don't want to come out and vote for guys like that. Because their vote doesn't even matter. Bernie's the only one who cares.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 21, 2020 at 12:33 am)Chas Wrote: Yeah, great. Let's just trade one sexist, racist, party-switching, billionaire, pussy-grabber who makes his victims sign NDAs for another. Dodgy

The choice between Bloomberg and Trump may very well be the difference between a wolf in sheep’s clothing and a wolf in a wool suit. That said, in this cas the wolf in sheep’s clothing in question isn’t all that viable a candidate, and, as mentioned before, is polling so low he doesn’t even appear on the ballots in many primaries. He may make Bernie’s road to the White House a lot harder than it has to be, but still.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What really really constitutes secularism. kılıç_mehmet 11 5322 May 19, 2012 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris