Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The trains run on time.
The trains run on time.
I like Bernie but he really blew it this week mentioning Castro and Cuba.  Instead he should have talked about our western allies who provide health care and higher education. I believe him when he says he does not want an authoritarian state. But his messaging sucked this week. 

Hitler unfortunately upon his rise, really popularized the idea of highway transport, and even to this day the highways he  built are still used. NO that did not make Hitler good.

It is true Castro promoted a literacy program, but not so Cubans could think for themselves, but much like the middle age Church in Europe promoted the same in reading the Bible, not to think for themselves, but so they could be good followers.

Bernie blew it, at least for me, for not making the distinction between something that works, and our enemies. The Soviet Union actually beat us into space depending on context, multiple times. We beat them to the moon, but they still put the first man and woman in space. Bernie stupidly allowed the old cold war bullshit for the GOP to sell. 

He should have framed it more like, "Yea they do it, so lets beat them at their own game without becoming dictatorship". Just like the USA and USSR had a space race, and we beat them to the moon without becoming a dictatorship.
RE: The trains run on time.
Could you point me towards a source supporting the notion that the medieval Church promoted a literacy programme that was anything like Castro’s? First I’m hearing of it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 1, 2020 at 12:18 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Could you point me towards a source supporting the notion that the medieval Church promoted a literacy programme that was anything like Castro’s? First I’m hearing of it.

Boru

Business or religion, there is is a huge difference between marketing and education. Marketing is when you sell something, education is when you let people think for themselves.

If you think religion is any different than business, forget it. If you sell a product, or god, and the person you are trying to peddle it to doesn't understand it is far more likely to reject it. But if you can sell it to them by convincing them their lives will be better with it, they are going to be more open to it. 

The "education" of religion, isn't to promote independent thought, but to create sales people for the product.

If I want to move up in an oil company and expand sales, they educate me to promote the product. That is not the same as teaching someone to think for themselves, it is just teaching them to be a sales person. That is the same for any religion, or business.

The renaissance and age of enlightenment did not happen because of religion, but in spite of religion.

Yea and while you are questioning my logic, I think you do also know that Cuba is still a Catholic majority country.
(March 1, 2020 at 12:33 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 1, 2020 at 12:18 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Could you point me towards a source supporting the notion that the medieval Church promoted a literacy programme that was anything like Castro’s? First I’m hearing of it.

Boru

Business or religion, there is is a huge difference between marketing and education. Marketing is when you sell something, education is when you let people think for themselves.

If you think religion is any different than business, forget it. If you sell a product, or god, and the person you are trying to peddle it to doesn't understand it is far more likely to reject it. But if you can sell it to them by convincing them their lives will be better with it, they are going to be more open to it. 

The "education" of religion, isn't to promote independent thought, but to create sales people for the product.

If I want to move up in an oil company and expand sales, they educate me to promote the product. That is not the same as teaching someone to think for themselves, it is just teaching them to be a sales person. That is the same for any religion, or business.

The renaissance and age of enlightenment did not happen because of religion, but in spite of religion.

Yea and while you are questioning my logic, I think you do also know that Cuba is still a Catholic majority country.

That’s not what I asked you. It’s got nothing to do with what I asked you. You said the Church promoted literacy in the Middle Ages. Do you have a source for this?

And I’m not questioning your logic. I’m questioning your knowledge of history.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
If my logic is right, then it would stand to reason REGARDLESS of religion or geography humans behave the same way.

Some cling to the past and resit change, and the powers that be prey upon that fear of change, while others in power see which way the wind is blowing and adapt, to stay relevant.

That is not religion doing anything, that is merely humans clinging to the past, or getting caught with their pants down, and adapting to stay relevant.

MARKETING isn't about facts, it is just about marketing, be it religion or business.

Oil is still alive today, not because it is good, it is not, but because the ceos don't want to lose their bread and butter.
(March 1, 2020 at 1:05 pm)Brian37 Wrote: If my logic is right, then it would stand to reason REGARDLESS of religion or geography humans behave the same way.

Some cling to the past and resit change, and the powers that be prey upon that fear of change, while others in power see which way the wind is blowing and adapt, to stay relevant.

That is not religion doing anything, that is merely humans clinging to the past, or getting caught with their pants down, and adapting to stay relevant.

MARKETING isn't about facts, it is just about marketing, be it religion or business.

Oil is still alive today, not because it is good, it is not, but because the ceos don't want to lose their bread and butter.

When and where did the medieval Church promote literacy?

Boru
(March 1, 2020 at 1:19 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(March 1, 2020 at 1:05 pm)Brian37 Wrote: If my logic is right, then it would stand to reason REGARDLESS of religion or geography humans behave the same way.

When and where did the medieval Church promote literacy?

Boru

Martin Luther was a big fan of making reading the bible a public thing. The  problem was at the same time he was a fucking bigot. 

Hitler was inspired by his views.
And this train runs off the rails...as expected.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(March 1, 2020 at 1:37 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: And this train runs off the rails...as expected.

https://scholarship.rollins.edu/mls/20/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Lut...tisemitism

Martin Luther, like many Christians of his time blamed the death of Jesus on Jews. And just like Castro "educating" his populous, it wasn't objective. It was designed to create followers.  

See sub category of "antisemitism"  here. Scroll down.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther
(March 1, 2020 at 1:32 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 1, 2020 at 1:19 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: When and where did the medieval Church promote literacy?

Boru

Martin Luther was a big fan of making reading the bible a public thing. The  problem was at the same time he was a fucking bigot. 

Hitler was inspired by his views.

What the everlasting fuck does Luther’s anti-Semitism have to do with this thread??

Martin Luther wasn’t alive during the Middle Ages. Even if he had been, his wanting the Bible read by the masses isn’t remotely the same as the Church promoting literacy.

Try again.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should Hilary Run In The Next Election (The Unbiased Version) Amarok 67 9252 July 25, 2018 at 9:51 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Should Hillary Run in 2020? John V 40 6173 July 19, 2018 at 11:22 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Just Run of the Mill Corruption With These Scumbags Minimalist 8 1871 May 10, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The Crazies Will Run This Poor Bastard Out of the Republicunt Party Minimalist 0 426 September 28, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Time for a run-off system? Jehanne 2 679 November 10, 2016 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Ought To Run A Poll Minimalist 7 1028 October 14, 2016 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Time To Stop Wasting Everyone's Time, Bernie Minimalist 253 26897 May 29, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Taxpayer-funded state-run media outlets: Not Bad if Republicans Do It Ryantology 2 1270 January 28, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Vader and the Crew run for Parliament... Fidel_Castronaut 1 664 October 3, 2014 at 8:17 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Kansas proves why conservatives should never run anything ever. Ryantology 31 4128 July 30, 2014 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda