Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A set S is composed of 20 multi-colored objects
RE: A set S is composed of 20 multi-colored objects
(March 21, 2020 at 10:34 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote:
(March 21, 2020 at 8:31 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: The scenario specifies 3 blue objects are picked.
Nope. The scenario specifies four are picked. but only the most suitable are selected.

(March 21, 2020 at 8:31 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: If the fourth can be any colour including blue
As specified, it matters not what the fourth colour is.
(March 21, 2020 at 8:31 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: then no matter what position the 'any-colour' object is picked the chances are 20/20, 19/19, 18,18 or 17/17. in any case the the answer is 1 and multiplying that by the chances for the blue selections would be a pointless exercise.
False. Actually obviously false. Only 12 out of twenty can be "not-blue". To claim 50/50 and then claim claim that all objects are blue or red is nonsense, which immediately torpedoes you argument. You are flying at that point, in the face of one's own argument.

(March 21, 2020 at 8:31 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: The extra selection must therefore be 'not-blue' if the scenario has any purpose.
Nope. They decision of blue or not blue is arbitrary. Arbitrary decisions have no purpose by definition.

(March 21, 2020 at 8:31 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: This would insert a (12/X) selection into the matrix with four permutations.
12x? I would dearly like to consider that a typo. I hope so, but I fear not.

(March 21, 2020 at 8:31 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: It seems similarly pointless if the object is returned to the pool before next draw.
Rather meaningless. Nobody gets "returned" to anything. There is no evidence of anyone being returned to anything. Why would any rational person accept anyone accept anything about a person being returned from anything to anywhere?

And bear in mind that I am an OOBE witness, an NDE witness, through personal experience, so please do not wheel out the usual baloney.
Is English not your first language?
4 selections from 20, 3 of which are blue, the 4th has to be non-blue or the probability is 1 rendering the exercise pointless as there's no point multiplying by 1. Wacky
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
RE: A set S is composed of 20 multi-colored objects
(March 21, 2020 at 11:59 pm)Paleophyte Wrote:
(March 18, 2020 at 5:19 am)WinterHold Wrote: I have a probability question that I need to solve:

A set S is composed of 20 multi-colored objects. 4 objects were chosen randomly from S.
What is the probability that 3 of the chosen objects be blue; knowing that there are 8 blue objects in S ?

Zero. The question clearly states that "A set S is composed of 20 multi-colored objects." None of them are blue, so it doesn't matter how many of them you pick.

Better question: If you try and get the internet to do your homework for you what are the odds that one of the replies is actually your mom's phone number?

867-5309 Smile
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fractals and the Mandelbrot set Alex K 4 1838 August 13, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat