Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!!
There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!!
[Image: oghy5MB.jpg]
RE: There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!!
WTF???
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(March 24, 2020 at 8:28 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: WTF???

There was no other doctor available. I assume the impression they tried to give that he was alone was deliberate. The rest of the station crew was ready to take over if they had to. He had spent hours coaching them on the procedures.
This reminds me of that scene in "Master and Commander" when the ship's doctor has to operate on himself.

But talking about crazy appendectomy, there was also Dean Rector who had first appendectomy on a submarine and it was during ww2 in Japanese waters. He was operated by ship’s pharmacist’s assistant, who had no medical training, did not know what an appendix looked like or where it was to be found, and had no surgical equipment to work with, and yet he managed to do it.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(March 24, 2020 at 8:48 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: This reminds me of that scene in "Master and Commander" when the ship's doctor has to operate on himself.

But talking about crazy appendectomy, there was also Dean Rector who had first appendectomy on a submarine and it was during ww2 in Japanese waters. He was operated by ship’s pharmacist’s assistant, who had no medical training, did not know what an appendix looked like or where it was to be found, and had no surgical equipment to work with, and yet he managed to do it.
And the jokes started:

Radio conversation, hospital to sub:

HOS: Okay, are you read to make the incision?
HM*: I'm ready!
Radio interference blocks communication.
HOS: We're back! Where are you?
HM: Incision made!
HOS: How did you know where to cut?
HM: I cut along the old scar.

*Hospitalman, or corpsman.
(March 24, 2020 at 10:02 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(March 24, 2020 at 8:48 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: This reminds me of that scene in "Master and Commander" when the ship's doctor has to operate on himself.

And the jokes started:

Radio conversation, hospital to sub:

HOS: Okay, are you read to make the incision?
HM*: I'm ready!
Radio interference blocks communication.
HOS: We're back! Where are you?
HM: Incision made!
HOS: How did you know where to cut?
HM: I cut along the old scar.

*Hospitalman, or corpsman.

Actually, there was a joke and it went like: “Look, Dean, I never did anything like this before, but you don’t have much chance to pull through anyhow, so what do you say?”
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I'm reminded of the last episode of The Knick. Throughout the past two seasons, Thack has been struggling with drug addiction, and while he doesn't exactly overcome it, an overdose on laudanum and ether on a good friend convinces him that general anæsthetic is bad. And because he has an insane amount of confidence in his abilities (bear in mind, The Knick is to medical procedures what Mad Men is for advertising, and Thack is its Don Draper), enough so that when he has an ischemic bowel and needs surgery, he elects to do it ON HIMSELF WITHOUT ANÆSTHETIC (well, except for a spinal block.) It goes well until this happens:

Ave atque vale, Thack.
Ave atque vale, The Knick.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Who would you sue?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

A submarine rates at least a 3rd Class Corpsman who has been to the appropriate "A" School and has quite a bit of experience prior to being assigned that kind of billet, and the equipment is available. Don't place to much credence on a movie. Yes, a non-doctor could be assigned to that sort of emergency surgery in a pinch. Then again, I had a ruptured appendix when in the Navy, and it was 6 weeks from the time of discovery (by a non-Navy GP in the town where I was) until I had surgery. 9 days in the hospital, 3 weeks on bed rest, and a Medevac to California. Then two weeks in a medical holding company until I was forced into some manual labor by a "superior" against orders that exacerbated the problem and then I had an appendectomy. I've been hospitalized for a total of 6 weeks because of that appendix. The scar tissue still gives me trouble.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social Media Foxaèr 3 439 September 30, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I no longer accept social distancing. onlinebiker 11 1166 April 13, 2021 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Then and now. onlinebiker 16 1067 May 24, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Not Serious]Pick one, then post the next selection. Gawdzilla Sama 64 2631 October 18, 2019 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ya knooow, Monica smells; oh ma gosh!: implicit hate and grudge in social life WinterHold 10 1418 July 20, 2018 at 5:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Social media and sexual harrasment GODZILLA 40 5278 July 5, 2018 at 11:34 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  How would you respond? (A social experiment) Foxaèr 53 5658 March 24, 2018 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheism may be contributing to my social isolation Alexmahone 10 1596 March 17, 2018 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Well, then... Foxaèr 6 755 March 17, 2018 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How Social Media Is Dumbing Down Our Society Foxaèr 5 2190 July 17, 2017 at 10:31 am
Last Post: Aroura