Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me...
Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me...
Quote:In philosophynaturalism is the idea or belief that only natural (as opposed to supernatural or spiritual) laws and forces operate in the universe.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalism...losophy%29

Atheism describes people on RELIGION's terms (it owns most of the word, literally)....the only problem I can see with describing myself as a naturalist from here on out is that some people might think I go hang out at the beach butt naked...this could be quite witty though, thinking on, so no bad really! Thoughts?
RE: Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me...
(May 14, 2020 at 10:54 am)Editz Wrote:
Quote:In philosophynaturalism is the idea or belief that only natural (as opposed to supernatural or spiritual) laws and forces operate in the universe.[1]

Atheism describes people on RELIGION's terms (it owns most of the word, literally)....the only problem I can see with describing myself as a naturalist from here on out is that some people might think I go hang out at the beach butt naked...this could be quite witty though, thinking on, so no bad really! Thoughts?

What's wrong with being naked on the beach?

Just don't forget some high grade sunscreen.

I won't - again....

I try not to get all hung up on labels.  If pressed into an answer regarding religion my answer depends on the questioner and situation at hand.  I'm not going to jeopardize a potential employment opportunity or get into a pissing contest with someone but neither am I going to lie.

Various answers for me include:
1)I was raised Catholic (certain flavors of Christians gasp and run for the hills)
2)I am not a person of faith (for some reason that stings less than the "A" word)
3)My father's family is Catholic and my mother's side is Methodist
There are others, I play it by ear but none are untrue.

Honestly - it's no one's damn business.  

Pretty sure that the Mormons from the new temple down the street figure I worship Satan based on the Halloween display I usually set up.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Supernatural is not interchangeable with gods. Gods are simply one rep in the category. A person can be an atheist, and a supernaturalist.

Karma, fate, ghosts, esp, reincarnation, sympathetic and ritual magic etc etc etc etc.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Somebody cannot, however, be a theist and a naturalist, so as far as describing a position of zero-theism goes, it does the job, no?
I believe that I should keep my clothes on, I don't want to frighten anyone!!
I think that you'd be surprised. A person who believes that god in some way sense or form manifested a world that operates exclusively through natural means is a thing. Even that gods are themselves made manifest as a necessary consequence of natural means.

Rank and file believers have trouble expressing this, largely because it's conceptual utility is in direct contradiction to the specific contents of their religious beliefs.

(and I've intentionally left out spinozan gods here - which would be the literal antithesis of the claim that a person cannot be a theist and a naturalist)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

On the other hand, if you call yourself a naturalist, you might get a free trip to Galapagos.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 14, 2020 at 11:10 am)Editz Wrote: Somebody cannot, however, be a theist and a naturalist, so as far as describing a position of zero-theism goes, it does the job, no?

Yes it does the job but as you point out, when you announce you're a naturalist you then have to launch into an explanation of what a naturalist is. Why not save a step and say atheist, no explanations required.
Miserable Bastard.
(May 14, 2020 at 2:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 14, 2020 at 10:54 am)Editz Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalism...losophy%29

On the other hand, if you call yourself a naturalist, you might get a free trip to Galapagos.

Boru

And marry your cousin and then be tormented by the possible implications?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is life more satisfying as an atheist or religionist? FrustratedFool 96 3571 November 10, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  No soul? No free will and no responsibility then, yet the latter's essential... Duty 33 3924 August 26, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  His wish sounds familiar purplepurpose 1 911 November 16, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1773 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religious kids more likely to be cunts than atheist ones Napoléon 12 2734 November 6, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  More atheist men than women? Catholic_Lady 203 28600 July 9, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Are Deists more like theists or Atheist? Twisted 37 9160 May 28, 2015 at 10:18 am
Last Post: comet
  Why do I find mysticism so appealing? JaceDeanLove 22 6638 December 24, 2014 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Do we need more Atheist books for kids? process613 43 7373 November 30, 2014 at 4:14 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Panpsychism is not as crazy as it sounds. Mudhammam 64 16345 May 18, 2014 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam