Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:36 am

Poll: Should capital punishment be allowed?
This poll is closed.
Yes
12.50%
2 12.50%
No
87.50%
14 87.50%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capital Punishment
Capital Punishment
I say no. 
Killing people who kill people isn't a good image. 
It also doesn't do anything to protect or deter that incarceration doesn't already do

And our justice system is geared around money. Legal costs are ridiculously high and if u can't afford them then your screwed. 
On the other hand if u can afford a good defence council then the guilty can walk like OJ Simpson

But what do u think??? Should the death penalty be allowed???
RE: Capital Punishment
I’ve always been against the death penalty.

What gets me about people who support it, which tends to be theists, is that it’s as though they are aware god does not exist and will not punish these criminals after they die, which is why they are in favor of the death penalty to ensure the criminals receive punishment in this life because there will be no justice after death.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Get ready for a backlash.

I support the death penalty for certain crimes and certain degrees of crime.

Serial killers, vicious murderers, terrorists who actually commit acts of terror, among others, should be removed from the planet if there is absolutely no doubt about their guilt.

I'm not talking about a nasty death, either. A quick removal is appropriate.
Dying to live, living to die.
It's gotten too bland. Too easy.

Been bad? They stick a needle in your arm and off you go.... Hell - people do that for entertainment...

If you want the death penalty to be an effective deterent - it needs to be memorable - even entertaining...

Just look at hangings of yore - or a burning at the stake.. The whole town turned out to watch. They even brought the kids. You know - good quality family time - and educational!

Todays audience is a bit jaded. They have seen so many hangings (simulated in movies) that they barely even register.

We need to step up the game.

Maybe draw and quartering with monster trucks. That would go well with the NASCAR crowd.....

We could televise it.

It's too bad there is already a show called " Shark Tank".   Just think of the possibilities.....
I disapprove of capital punishment in all cases and for all crimes, for several reasons.

1. It clearly is not a deterrent.

2. It is applied unfairly.

3. The State has no more moral right to take a life than I have (less, in fact).

4. Contrary to what some say, it does not provide closure.

5. It ends punishment for the perpetrator.

6. You can’t exonerate a dead man.

7. It makes a mockery of justice in the sense that ‘it is better than 1000 guilty men go free than one innocent man be punished’.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I used to get paid $0.34/hr to kill people who, basically, weren't bad people. I have no problem with killing people who are bad people. Indiana has, or had, the option for a personal representative of a victim to "flip the switch". I stood in for a father of twin girls in such a capacity.
When they can make the legal process infallible and cost effective I might consider it.

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't mind seeing a few specific people whacked.

EditShockP, very interesting that you picked OJ. There have been so many other highly publicized killings/trials since then, why him as your example?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The Mighty George on capital punishment.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
[droningvoice]"I have to advise you that anything you say will be taken down, twisted around, altered as necessary, and used against you in a farce of law. If you, like 99% of Americans, can't afford an attorney, a law school drop-out will be appointed to misrepresent you. Do you have anything to say before you are given a fair trial, found guilty, and executed. If you are executed, and there is no doubt about that, there will be an automatic appeal filed in your behalf." [/droningvoice]
I would be open to changing my opinion if we could get a life sentence to mean life - leaving prison in a box.

Individuals sentenced to "life" in prison for murder can be out in 10 to 12 years.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prison as punishment robvalue 53 3932 November 13, 2016 at 6:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Most Severe Punishment Walking Void 16 1952 October 3, 2013 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Zazzy
  Capital cities Scarface 45 7271 September 21, 2010 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: Nitsuj