Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:48 pm

Poll: Should capital punishment be allowed?
This poll is closed.
Yes
12.50%
2 12.50%
No
87.50%
14 87.50%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capital Punishment
RE: Capital Punishment
Like the people who get paid to execute incarcerated killers.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Why do I feel the dread of impending philosophy?

chugga chugga chugga chugga Choo Choo
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Shouldn't take much yammering on about philosophy to notice that there would be that much less killing in the world if executioners refused to do the job they worked hard to get. It's a volunteer gig.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Not every post is about you.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
People who support capital punishment should look up a list of countries that still practice it. See what kind of company you keep.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It makes it easier for me to jump into the middle of any convo. Wink
(June 11, 2020 at 3:44 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: People who support capital punishment should look up a list of countries that still practice it. See what kind of company you keep.

Boru

I'm fully aware of the countries that still have capital punishment.

Some have public executions, which I don't support.

Some have brutal forms of execution, which I don't support.

Some kill criminals who commit crimes that I don't agree should be punishable by death.

Some execute without full due process.

None of that I agree with.

As I stated, if there's absolutely no doubt, I think some crimes, and some degree of crimes, should be punishable with a quick removal from the planet.
Dying to live, living to die.
(June 11, 2020 at 12:45 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: There are some crimes that feel as though the death penaly would be fitting, but, and it's a big but, what if you later find out that you killed the wrong person?
If you wrongly put someone in prison you can pay out compensation (probably not enough to restore what they have lost, but at least you can make the effort) but if the person is dead, all you can do is say "oops... sorry about that!"

Bruno Richard Hauptmann comes to mind.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(June 11, 2020 at 4:22 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Some have public executions, which I don't support.
Is the idea here that it's made better by hiding it from public view? I think that it's only made easier to swallow. The people who see executions and the people who perform them generally regret having ever seen just the one.

The others, a thousand times yes. There are all sorts of ways that the process can go south, even further south, that is...but that does seem to lead right into the next bit.
Quote:As I stated, if there's absolutely no doubt, I think some crimes, and some degree of crimes, should be punishable with a quick removal from the planet.

Can't be done.  The business of execution can't be done swiftly and justly.  No amount of certainty internally held or even legally pronounced removes the states responsibility to provide due process.
(June 11, 2020 at 4:22 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(June 11, 2020 at 3:44 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: People who support capital punishment should look up a list of countries that still practice it. See what kind of company you keep.

Boru

I'm fully aware of the countries that still have capital punishment.

Some have public executions, which I don't support.

Some have brutal forms of execution, which I don't support.

Some kill criminals who commit crimes that I don't agree should be punishable by death.

Some execute without full due process.

None of that I agree with.

As I stated, if there's absolutely no doubt, I think some crimes, and some degree of crimes, should be punishable with a quick removal from the planet.

I understand what you’re saying and I appreciate that you have a much more nuanced view of this issue than a lot of people.

But as more and more nations abolish the death penalty (while some keep it on the books but opt not to use it), I simply feel it’s time to consign it to the ash can of history.

Agree to disagree, I suppose.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prison as punishment robvalue 53 3930 November 13, 2016 at 6:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Most Severe Punishment Walking Void 16 1951 October 3, 2013 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Zazzy
  Capital cities Scarface 45 7270 September 21, 2010 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: Nitsuj