Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient man in America?
Ancient man in America?
Back in 1992 archeologists in California dug up mastodon bones dating back to 130,000 years ago that seem to bear the marks of human activity.

These fragments bore impact marks suggesting that they had been smacked with a hard object: Some of the shattered bones contained spiral fractures, indicating that they were broken while still “fresh.”

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Ancient man in America?
I recall when this was first discovered, and it’s come under pretty heavy criticism for several reasons:

1. The ‘tools’ found at the site aren’t unequivocally tools, that is they don’t appear to have been deliberately shaped.

2. There is none of the debris typically associated with tool-making at or near the site.

3. There are no human remains (of comparable age) at or near the site.

4. There is no evidence of any events between the death of the mastodon and its burial (no scavenging, for example), suggesting that the animal may have been buried in a land- or mudslide, which would also account for the bones being freshly broken.

That being said, this may yet turn out to be true. Paleontologists are notoriously attached to their own theories, so the critics maybe the critics are just unwilling to accept this one.

Time will tell. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The worst problem with prehistorical times is the "pre" part.
Is that where Iggy is?
Dying to live, living to die.
PreHISTORY, not preMATURE.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Croatian ancient river naming conventions FlatAssembler 177 6632 February 11, 2024 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Croatians settle in America before Columbo? FlatAssembler 14 1638 September 24, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: no one
  Question: ancient burials. WinterHold 36 2284 April 22, 2019 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  America - Sliding Down The Shitter Minimalist 56 3953 August 3, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Religion stems from ancient pagan astrology. Brian37 20 3316 July 15, 2016 at 7:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Ancient Eqyptian Quiz Minimalist 30 2913 May 31, 2016 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is Canada so much different from America? Lemonvariable72 56 13021 December 11, 2014 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Lao Shizi