Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Logistics of Reparations
RE: The Logistics of Reparations
(June 24, 2020 at 12:36 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(June 24, 2020 at 12:30 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Not to mention that reparations - if any - would, as you said, be paid by your government. It’s an ‘everybody knows’ thing that taxpayers don’t get to direct where that revenue goes, nor is the revenue apportioned based on the ethnicity of the people who paid in. 

Boru
The government (any government) is'nt a source of income.

It takes and redistributes.

So ultimately some taxpayer is going to foot the bill.

And don't say "everyone pays". If you are getting more than you are giving - you're being paid.

All claims to the contrary are smoke and mirrors.

In the era of deficit spending, that argument doesn’t work.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:The government (any government) is'nt a source of income.
It's compensation for the fact the government allowed slavery to occur and wrote the racist laws that kept black people back  

Quote:It takes and redistributes.
It can invest 

Quote:So ultimately some taxpayer is going to foot the bill.
And?

Quote:And don't say "everyone pays". If you are getting more than you are giving - you're being paid.
Everyone is paying 

Quote:All claims to the contrary are smoke and mirrors.
Nope
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(June 24, 2020 at 12:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 24, 2020 at 12:36 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: The government (any government) is'nt a source of income.

It takes and redistributes.

So ultimately some taxpayer is going to foot the bill.

And don't say "everyone pays". If you are getting more than you are giving - you're being paid.

All claims to the contrary are smoke and mirrors.

In the era of deficit spending, that argument doesn’t work.

Boru

LOL.

so your solution is to make things right by writing bad cheques and leaving the bill for future generations to figure out.....

How elegant...

"We fuck the other guy and pass the savings on to you".
Quote:LOL.

so your solution is to make things right by writing bad cheques and leaving the bill for future generations to figure out.....

How elegant...

He didn't say that
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

I'd be 15 bucks richer if I were better at convincing people to take a suckers bet.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 24, 2020 at 12:43 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(June 24, 2020 at 12:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: In the era of deficit spending, that argument doesn’t work.

Boru

LOL.

How elegant...

So, when will you be refunding your pandemic stimulus cheque?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 24, 2020 at 1:28 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 24, 2020 at 12:43 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: LOL.

How elegant...

So, when will you be refunding your pandemic stimulus cheque?

Boru

I would have preferred they did not do it. I said so at the time if you recall. I also thought it was a boneheaded idea when Bush Jr did the same thing.

You keep playing this stupid game of either/or. "If you don't agree with what we cooked up - you must be ___________ (fill in blank with appropriate snide remark)

All at the same time that you skipped over any question I raised about eligibility or responsibility.
30 bucks says he's willing to burn anything to the ground if it might cause collateral damage to gangbangers and the useless takers who seek to steal his white money and give it to the black man.

That's some solid race traitor shit, right thur, if you ask me. These poor assholes are usually tied into knots like that.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 24, 2020 at 1:35 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(June 24, 2020 at 1:28 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: So, when will you be refunding your pandemic stimulus cheque?

Boru

I would have preferred they did not do it. I said so at the time if you recall. I also thought it was a boneheaded idea when Bush Jr did the same thing.

You keep playing this stupid game of either/or. "If you don't agree with what we cooked up - you must be ___________ (fill in blank with appropriate snide remark)

All at the same time that you skipped over any question I raised about eligibility or responsibility.

Yes, you preferred they not send you the money, but you kept it all the same. You seem ok with deficit spending as long as it benefits you personally, not so much when it benefits other people.

I did indeed skip over eligibility (your government bears responsibility, I’m pretty sure I said that).

As to who is eligible, how about every black citizen of the US?

Boru
I think there might be some merit in OB's reasoning. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of stupidity in the OP (specifically the question of "if it turns out there's some Massa genes in said black person, does that cancel out the slave DNA?," which disregards that A: the average black person has enough white ancestry for an entire great-grandparent, and B: The "One-Drop Rule" meant that even if you were sired by Massa, Hell, even if you had a single great-grandparent who wasn't white, you still counted as black; plus the fact that he seems to willfully disregard that, if you know how taxes work, who gets to pay for them becomes obvious), but the question of how much gets to be paid to the black community is a question that should be answered.

I can remember once looking at an article from Harper's (which I can't find, but its methodology can be found elsewhere, although the 222,505,049 hours of unpaid labour over 246 years seems kinda low to me, considering that this amounts to less than one million man-hours per year, and if we assume that the 700,000 slaves recorded in the 1790 census is a good approximation of the average number of slaves in America per year between 1619 and 1865, that only works out to a bit less than 78 minutes of unpaid labor per year!) that calculated the cost of reparations as about $100 trillion. Unfortunately, as of 2017, the nominal world GDP is roughly $80 trillion. This, you will notice, is much smaller than $100 trillion. While the Purchasing Power GDP is $127.8 trillion, subtracting the $100 trillion from that leaves just $27.8 trillion. Divided amongst the other 7 billion people of the world, this leaves a bit less than $4000 per capita for everyone else. If you think income inequality is bad now, wait until we somehow manage to make Wakanda real... by turning the rest of the world into what the rest of the world thinks Wakanda is before the events of Black Panther.

To be fair, that $100 trillion estimate is an outlier, and I couldn't find it because it was swamped with smaller figures, with a range in the first page of Google search results ranging from $2.8-51 trillion. So, now that we've got a price figure that won't totally bankrupt the world economy, we'll need to figure out: how do we distribute those funds so they actually do the most good and equalise the economy? Now, this is a good question, and one that's worth discussing. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that, but I'm sure that people who actually study the damn issue and aren't just writing on an Internet forum in their underwear can at least make a good stab at it and not just ask the question to imply that it's a bad thing.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.