Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mars Rover Launch
Mars Rover Launch
In just under half an hour, NASA will launch the Perseverance rover. In addition to the usual array of scientific instruments onboard, this one also has a microphone. So, if all goes well, we’ll get to hear what Mars sounds like.

It is my fondest wish that when the microphone is switched on, the first sound we here is, ‘GET THAT THING THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!’

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Mars Rover Launch
NASA had a contest that challenged school kids to image Huygens' landing on Titan. The winner was a picture of it being dragged away by two ... things. Hilarious

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public
(July 30, 2020 at 7:30 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: NASA had a contest that challenged school kids to image Huygens' landing on Titan. The winner was a picture of it being dragged away by two ... things.  Hilarious

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public

Thanks for posting the link. I'm watching the launch program now.  Great
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
I just hope the supplies get to Watney in time!

Sweet launch! "The Perseverance of Humanity!"
(July 30, 2020 at 7:26 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: In just under half an hour, NASA will launch the Perseverance rover. In addition to the usual array of scientific instruments onboard, this one also has a microphone. So, if all goes well, we’ll get to hear what Mars sounds like.

It is my fondest wish that when the microphone is switched on, the first sound we here is, ‘GET THAT THING THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!’

Boru
At 6mbar there wont happen much, unless its heavily remastered and modified to be audible to human ears.
Soory to disappoint you.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(July 30, 2020 at 8:06 am)Deesse23 Wrote:
(July 30, 2020 at 7:26 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: In just under half an hour, NASA will launch the Perseverance rover. In addition to the usual array of scientific instruments onboard, this one also has a microphone. So, if all goes well, we’ll get to hear what Mars sounds like.

Boru
At 6mbar there wont happen much, unless its heavily remastered and modified to be audible to human ears.
Soory to disappoint you.

I’m sure NASA have plans to augment and amplify any sounds that are picked up. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have equipped it with a microphone in the first place.

The overwhelming majority of the photographs we get from space are enhanced for clarity, colour-corrected and so on. I don’t imagine this will be any different.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
You shure?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 30, 2020 at 8:13 am)ignoramus Wrote: You shure?

I’m positive, Vinny.

Boru
Here's what I would want to hear:

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I watched the feed and was looking at the chat box, always amazed at the ignorance of some of the comments, like "I hope the astronauts are ok" or "why is there smoke coming off it, is it on fire?"
I would think that if the go to the trouble of watching it they should have some understanding about what they are seeing.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SpaceX gets FAA launch approval, provided they fund interest groups HappySkeptic 10 781 June 15, 2022 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Shatner Launch onlinebiker 92 3356 October 15, 2021 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Rocket launch to prove earth is flat CapnAwesome 37 4824 November 24, 2017 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Nuclear Launch Order May Be Disobeyed AFTT47 25 2449 November 20, 2017 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  US may launch strike if North Korea moves to test nuclear weapon Aegon 53 6150 April 18, 2017 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Elon Musk Says SpaceX Will Send People to Mars by 2025 Heat 9 1465 January 30, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: mralstoner
  Water found on MARS! [Breaking NASA News] Heat 21 3494 September 29, 2015 at 11:09 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  SpaceX's Falcon 9 Rocket Explodes After Launch Secular Elf 13 2011 June 28, 2015 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist