Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068
RE: NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068
(October 30, 2020 at 6:19 am)arewethereyet Wrote:
(October 30, 2020 at 6:15 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: Yeah, this is the same guy who holds rallies and then abandons the attendees to die of hypothermia.

But you make a good point.

All we have to do is let Trumps win and wait.

I apologise.  I shouldn't be joking about the Covid death toll there, but I'm so disgusted with Trump, the GOP, and the fucking idiots who deny the science, that there's not much I can say now.

Yesterday he had a gathering in Tampa, Florida and people were keeling over from the heat....his mission is to kill people one way or another.  

Even as an extreme introvert and someone who is quite content at home, I am fatigued by this.  Enough is enough,  I don't even know where it is I want to go, I just know I am tired of not being able to go anywhere.

A few weeks ago went to dinner at the house of a couple we know and managed to socially distance the entire time.

Of course, it helped that their dining table is 16 feet long. Smile

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 30, 2020 at 5:20 am)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(October 30, 2020 at 5:19 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The appropriate Jack O' Lantern to let 2020 know how much we appreciate it:

Boru

I have a bio weapon aimed at the US.

You cloned trump?

(October 29, 2020 at 8:32 pm)Sal Wrote:
(October 29, 2020 at 11:47 am)arewethereyet Wrote: Well I don't think I will wait around till I'm 111 years old to watch this prophecy turn to shit.

Looking at it a little more scientifically, maybe -  if this asteroid is wobbling just a little off course and that wobble could send it crashing into earth in 48 years, who's to say that the earth and other things in space aren't also wobbling off course just a little bit which could make the whole thing a moot point?

NASA and ESA are better sources than the clickbait in OP, IMO.

A very short and apathetic Google search, that I didn't even bother to read the content closely and just skim through:

NASA's yuuughe prediction *coughfrom2009cough*:
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=2332

ESA's NEA chronology: (warning, ass-big webpage, don't open with a smartphone or old comp)
http://neo.ssa.esa.int/neo-chronology

Quote:As of 01 October 2020, the NEA Chronology lists 635 entries of known future events announced and predicted up to AD 2200, of which 299 predicted close approaches of NEAs with nominal Earth close approach distances d ≤ 10.00 LD and minimum close approach distances d ≤ 1.00 LD (i.e., about one per year), including 55 predicted close approaches of NEAs with nominal Earth close approach distances ≤ 1.00 LD (10 of those are PHAs, one in the km class), one of which with d ≤ 0.10 LD (PHA Apophis).

... and where this fucking Apophis asteroid is listed a goddamn 44 times. Fuck.

Anyways, here's the wiki article on it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99942_Apophis

It’s a tiny little thing, barely 1/5 of mile in its longest dimension.     Wouldn’t be enough to make the country noticeably better even if landed in the middle of the most densely populated part of trumpland.
(October 30, 2020 at 5:13 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: Dammit!

I was so hoping it would get us in 2020!

[Image: giant-meteor-2020-yard-sign-just-end-it-already-1.jpg]
Make impact craters great again?
What would it mean if the asteroid hit the Kaaba?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

The egg heads don't want to put a sail on the asteroid, they want to use the sail to focus sunlight on one spot. The area would heat up and start outgassing. Sounds like a rocket, don't it? The sail and controls wouldn't weigh as much as an Apollo capsule and we wouldn't have to retrieve it. Plus, being unmanned, we could put up a few decades before they're needed.
Piss on the damned asteroid! I won't be around in seven or eight years anyway.  Razz
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
I’m likely to be dead by then, so whatevs.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I will be five or six reboots along by then. I'll have the writers put in a scene where Monster X explodes out of the asteroid and accidentally saves the Earth.
https://earthsky.org/space/asteroid-9994...-2036-2068

Quote:Infamous asteroid Apophis is accelerating

Quote:This 2021 flyby will be Apophis’ closest approach until the great encounter in 2029.

It will be visible to the naked eye in 2029

Quote:Friday, April 13, 2029, will be more of a showtime for the general public and astronomers alike. Apophis will come so close that it’ll be visible to the unaided eye alone; something that almost never happens with asteroids!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 15597 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 553 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The shape of Earth h311inac311 162 24579 December 4, 2022 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Young Earth Creationism LinuxGal 3 805 November 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 577 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Asteroid Mining? vulcanlogician 8 1018 August 7, 2021 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Science Nerds: Could Jupiter's Magnetic Field be harvested for energy? vulcanlogician 28 2077 August 7, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Irresponsible caretakers of Earth ignoramus 50 7254 April 9, 2018 at 8:12 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  What are the rationalizations of flat earth believers? ErGingerbreadMandude 48 6630 January 20, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Familiarity with the Earth Sciences TheBeardedDude 4 1051 August 25, 2017 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus