Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advent Time
RE: Advent Time
(November 29, 2020 at 4:09 pm)Dundee Wrote:
(November 29, 2020 at 2:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: But no matter - how you chose to spend Advent is your business. Do what makes you happy.

Of course, I always do Smile
And just out of human kindness  I am telling you that your infos are not reliable. Smile

More reliable than your misinformation.

So...four or five candles?

Boru
(November 29, 2020 at 9:44 am)Dundee Wrote: In our region there are no special schools for Catholics or Protestants.
We have done away with that kind of separation or segregation long ago.

It must be very backward regions, where that segregation still exists.
I don't know how it works for him in England, but in the US this isn't "segregation".

Here, the government, ie public schools, aren't supposed to teach any religion to be "true". Religious, or parochial, schools are set up by the churches so kids can get their general education and religious education in one place. Some people opt not to do this and just send their kids to public school and let the religion education take place in church. Whether to have religious schools or not is up to each church or religion to decide for itself, and it isn't *supposed* to receive public funding.

I don't consider this setup to be backwards, but rather somewhat progressive.
(November 29, 2020 at 4:53 pm)LostLocke Wrote:
(November 29, 2020 at 9:44 am)Dundee Wrote: In our region there are no special schools for Catholics or Protestants.
We have done away with that kind of separation or segregation long ago.

It must be very backward regions, where that segregation still exists.
I don't know how it works for him in England, but in the US this isn't "segregation".

Here, the government, ie public schools, aren't supposed to teach any religion to be "true". Religious, or parochial, schools are set up by the churches so kids can get their general education and religious education in one place. Some people opt not to do this and just send their kids to public school and let the religion education take place in church. Whether to have religious schools or not is up to each church or religion to decide for itself, and it isn't *supposed* to receive public funding.

Pretty much how it worked in NORTHERN IRELAND, not ENGLAND. 

Going to Catholic school was an option, not a requirement. We went because 1) the parochial school was closer, 2) the quality of education was better, and 3) it made Mum happy.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 29, 2020 at 5:33 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 29, 2020 at 4:53 pm)LostLocke Wrote: I don't know how it works for him in England, but in the US this isn't "segregation".

Pretty much how it worked in NORTHERN IRELAND, not ENGLAND. 

Going to Catholic school was an option, not a requirement. We went because 1) the parochial school was closer, 2) the quality of education was better, and 3) it made Mum happy.

Boru

Eastern Iowa for me - the Catholic school was closer, the quality of education better and classes smaller, and grandma was happy about it.

Oh, and dad thought it was a good business decision since about 99.9% of his clients were Catholic.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

What happened to the topic of this thread?  Cool

Yesterday was the FIRST  ADVENT SUNDAY.
So we were lighting the first candle.
And tomorrow children here will open the first window in their Advent Calendars.
(November 30, 2020 at 6:21 am)Dundee Wrote: What happened to the topic of this thread?  Cool

Yesterday was the FIRST  ADVENT SUNDAY.
So we were lighting the first candle.
And tomorrow children here will open the first window in their Advent Calendars.

What happened to this topic is that you derailed it with your poorly informed comments about segregation.

So...four or five candles?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 29, 2020 at 5:33 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Pretty much how it worked in NORTHERN IRELAND, not ENGLAND. 

Boru
Sorry man. I knew you were from the UK, I don't know what made me think it was England though. Blush
(November 30, 2020 at 11:48 am)LostLocke Wrote:
(November 29, 2020 at 5:33 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Pretty much how it worked in NORTHERN IRELAND, not ENGLAND. 

Boru
Sorry man. I knew you were from the UK, I don't know what made me think it was England though.  Blush

No worries, people make mistakes. Aside from burning the odd haystack on your estate, there will be no reprisals. Wink

Boru
(November 24, 2020 at 6:02 am)Dundee Wrote: Advent Time

Next Sunday ist the first Advent Sunday.
Does that mean something to you?

I honestly do not care about Christmas as it is portrayed by paganism.
At work.

You're just sh!tting all through the place, huh Chess Pigeon aka Prycejosh1987?