Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do non english speaking countries call USA for USA
Why do non english speaking countries call USA for USA
Even though their language doesn't add up to it?

UAE for example means something else in my language in norwegian
"De forente arabiske emirater"

USA would be "Amerikas Forente Stater", but for whatever reason we call it USA. I am just wondering? Maybe its marketing reasons?
RE: Why do non english speaking countries call USA for USA
Linguistics.

For the same reason non-English languages don't have a proper translation in their own language for new English words that are created on a regular basis.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(December 3, 2020 at 9:56 am)Eleven Wrote: Linguistics.

For the same reason non-English languages don't have a proper translation in their own language for new English words that are created on a regular basis.

May be the arguments with why some name certain towns, such as Virginia, even though it probably doesnt mean that in certain languages. Countries i guess doesnt follow the same rules interms of naming
No, because even though Virginia is a state, it's also a name.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(December 3, 2020 at 10:05 am)Eleven Wrote: No, because even though Virginia is a state, it's also a name.

Exactly. Towns or such tends to be the same even if ones language isnt english. The exception is countries which is different naming depending on languages.
Names that can be spoken easily in one's own language will be used, while linguistically challenging names are avoided. "Deutschland" v. "Germany", for example.
Because we make the rules, Sweden...we make the rules.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 3, 2020 at 7:23 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Because we make the rules, Sweden...we make the rules.

No Nobel Prize for you, sucker.

Signed

The Swedes.
Swedes that have won the Nobel? 32

Americans? 388

Makes you think that something might be wrong with those fuckin swedes...americans aren't exactly the brightest bulbs. Whatever it is I'm sure it's genetic.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 3, 2020 at 10:05 am)Eleven Wrote: No, because even though Virginia is a state, it's also a name.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about choice and laws in the USA ShinyCrystals 7 887 October 15, 2023 at 10:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Some Iranian commanded Attack to USA . AVMXF 47 2352 August 25, 2023 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Sovereign citizen - more Loony Tunes in the USA Ferrocyanide 20 1887 March 20, 2023 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Yellow alert: warning USA in danger Eclectic 105 7623 November 25, 2022 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What you think of USA voting system? Woah0 10 874 August 17, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1597 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Big Two G2 USA and China Interaktive 19 1206 May 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  USA politics of hate Richi29 4 343 July 23, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 762 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Saudi Arabia as USA ally is not a bad thing Rignia 6 943 November 25, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: WinterHold