Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 4:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Orcs in Lord of the Rings Atheists?
RE: Are Orcs in Lord of the Rings Atheists?
(December 4, 2020 at 8:03 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(December 4, 2020 at 7:51 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: We know there were public eating houses in Eriador and Rohan (which is where the orcs in that gif are), so in the course of their plundering, they could well have run across a bill of fare.

Or it could simply be yet another case of Peter Jackson taking unconscionable liberties with the source material.

Boru
The only time anything is ordered in the movies is in the extended Fellowship when Gandalf points to the table next to him and says "I'll have some of that."

Not sure how that applies, but OK.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Why just the Orcs? There doesn't appear to be any organized religion in Middle Earth by the beginning of the 4th Age.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(December 5, 2020 at 12:25 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: Why just the Orcs? There doesn't appear to be any organized religion in Middle Earth by the beginning of the 4th Age.

Lack of an organized religion doesn't automatically indicate atheism. But there are definite references to religious belief, particularly by the Rangers of Ithilien.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'll never forgive PJ for not letting us see those chaps from Dol Amroth swanning about.
I honestly do not know what you are talking about.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2189 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  taking the lord's name in vain drfuzzy 55 7615 February 14, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  CHRIST THE LORD Jesus Christ IS THE LORD 115 12292 August 1, 2015 at 1:34 am
Last Post: Minimalist