Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baptists in Texas don't support Biden
RE: Baptists in Texas don't support Biden
(January 7, 2021 at 4:22 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Your fuhrer signed an executive order curtailing it's enforcement.

The Johnson Amendment is actually pretty benign.  It only curtails political campaigning by the church (i.e. stopping subverting campaign financing laws by funneling political campaign money to churches).  It does not stop statements from the pulpit or a clear bias toward any political idea or spectrum.  In a country that supposedly has a separation of church and state, I don't see why it is an issue.

In Canada, the Conservatives passed a law to prevent tax-exempt organizations from giving almost any political view on any subject.  Lobbying and all partisan statements at any time were forbidden (and probably always were), but this one ensured that only 10% of all energy or money could be put into purposes that could be considered political.

The purpose was to shut down environmental groups that were opposing the oil patch and pipelines.  Some of those groups willingly gave up their tax status.

But, churches got caught in the crossfire.  My national church body threatened with removal of status as a church because one of its stated values (for 50+ years) has been "social justice".  To Conservatives that now means left-wing SJW, so it was forbidden.
Atheists in Michigan don't support Baptists in Texas....

Or anywhere else....

Razz
They do, actually. Our churches grift billions of dollars in taxpayer money every year. Some of it, ostensibly, comes out of the pockets of atheists, even atheists in michigan.

(January 7, 2021 at 4:57 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote:
(January 7, 2021 at 4:22 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Your fuhrer signed an executive order curtailing it's enforcement.

In a country that supposedly has a separation of church and state, I don't see why it is an issue.

It's an issue because there are people who wish for there to be -no- separation. OFC it's benign, but anything that gets in the way of making sure everyone casts jesus' vote properly is doubleplus ungood to them.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catholic Bishops statement on Biden. brewer 9 773 January 25, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Go Texas, Houston and the RCC Investigation Fireball 2 345 November 29, 2018 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Apparently The Fucking Baptists Have A Problem Minimalist 19 6564 June 25, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Christian loons who support the death penalty. Jehanne 85 8503 December 4, 2016 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Jehanne
Lightbulb Support for a friend EllHarris412 52 5719 August 13, 2016 at 6:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Jimmy Carter leaves Southern Baptists to stew in their own sexism. Whateverist 28 5683 April 24, 2015 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Fucking Texas, Again.... Minimalist 29 5345 September 15, 2014 at 10:44 am
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Christian disonance of support iteractions. Brakeman 0 912 November 23, 2013 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Brakeman
  Poland almoust like in Texas Something completely different 20 7019 July 11, 2013 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Lord Carey attacks PM over Christian 'support' Darwinian 6 2856 March 30, 2013 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist