Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going?
Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going?
Facebook and other social media is ok, but it's mostly become a place for people to rave about politics and then re-post memes. Before it was just a site where people were posting pictures of their food and cat and requesting you help them with their virtual farm or something, and I joined it as a new place to discuss guitar playing after the people I like left Ultimate-Guitar and joined FB instead. Even the music groups now though have the aforementioned problems.

Reddit is alright too, certainly nice for finding specific topics you find interesting, but it gets bogged down by ban happy mods and rules requiring you make a post in a very specific way, etc.

Forum sites can be alright, but they can often suffer the same problems of social media and Reddit, just not to the same extent. Still, they're generally a topic-oriented place.

Chat sites are just an anything goes type deal where you can just say what's on your mind with a bunch of random people. The text only ones don't really allow memes, though you can certainly link them. It's not bogged down by mods, or being forced to be topic specific, or just the general drama that you get with other talk-to-stranger sites today. While I'm sure politics can pop up in discussion, it doesn't seem to infest things nearly as much as it does with everything else.

Right now I'm using a free trial of mIRC, but that is only going to last for about 30 days, and honestly I don't think something like that is worth paying money for. It's literally just a place to send text in what's the equivalent now of a large group chat on FB Messenger or something.

Still, I'd like to find a chat site to just talk about random things with random people, and I keep coming up empty handed. So, are there any suggestions for sites I can use?
RE: Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going?
Longing for the days of your dial up 56k modem and local BBS?

Wink

BTDT
If you are unable to discover the path you seek, establish your own.
(January 2, 2021 at 3:58 am)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: Right now I'm using a free trial of mIRC, but that is only going to last for about 30 days

Forget mIRC, it sucks in so many ways, one of which is the extortion for payment. There's HexChat - FOSS program available for Linux. It must be available for Windows too, though I stopped using Windows as a daily OS 4 years ago and I haven't searched to see if a Windows version of HexChat is available.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
So there is Discord which has a voice component but also multiple rooms can be established by the host. The problem would be finding one that is active and relevant to your interests. I tried to start one here but only got three others to join and one of those was Winterhold and then participation was negligible and now it is a ghost town. I was part of a gaming group for a while and we played a lot of Ark and some Space Engineers but that became a dead end for me as well. I'm sure if I put more effort into finding a good group I could do it; maybe you could too.

Here is the link if you're interested in trying to spice it up:

https://discord.gg/F3fC2B2c

Open invite to anyone. It will expire in a day...
AF has slack, but I don't know how active it is these days. Most of the regulars that frequented it when I did don't post much these days.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 4, 2021 at 3:26 pm)Angrboda Wrote: AF has slack, but I don't know how active it is these days.  Most of the regulars that frequented it when I did don't post much these days.

That's 'cause they're all at Slack.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2024 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Going to buy a gun onlinebiker 46 2402 October 17, 2021 at 10:32 am
Last Post: Spooky
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1057 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Am I the only one who hasn't reset their clocks for Daylight Savings yet? Angrboda 5 279 November 24, 2020 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Not going to swear to it as of yet. but. Brian37 33 2273 June 19, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Gawdzilla Sama 8 774 March 24, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  It's going to be a WARM winter onlinebiker 8 882 October 9, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  I am going naked on here to challenge my wife to do the same. funcouple 19 1604 August 31, 2019 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Are you going to let him do that? onlinebiker 4 1054 August 22, 2019 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  What's the going rate for the tooth fairy? Cod 16 1472 April 17, 2019 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Figbash