Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new Confederacy
RE: A new Confederacy
(January 13, 2021 at 6:46 pm)Spongebob Wrote: I absolutely reject that accusation! 

Like everybody else.
(January 13, 2021 at 6:46 pm)Spongebob Wrote: That's all well and good, but you aren't a Trumpist.

Neither is the military, but the things that I'm explaining to you are common to and demanded of all us forces, regardless of their political affiliation.

Specifically and repeatedly mentioned to us, specifically and repeatedly stressed to be regardless of our personal affiliations.  

It's part of the bit - and it makes getting us forces to open up on a seven eleven in miami an uphill battle. It was hard enough in a hot civil war.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I’ve mentioned before that it’s wrongheaded to try and treat guerrilla-style forces the same way we treat traditional Western armies. And if these rioters are trying to do something more comprehensive than last week’s siege, it’s extremely unlikely that they’ll do so with the active cooperation of the military (more than posing for selfies with or even opening the doors for these chuckleheads), even if it is just a small division led by an insane general. As fucked up as many soldiers can be, I don’t know of anyone in the top brass who’s that fucking far to the right.

Anything they do will be asymmetrical warfare, and, if done right, asymmetrical warfare is devastatingly effective. It’s the biggest reason America lost in Vietnam and why the Middle East is proving to be a dead end. That said, the reason it worked in Vietnam and the Middle East is that the people there eventually came to view groups like Al-Qaeda, the Viet Cong, and ISIS as the lesser evil. And literally everything I know about the far right today suggests that this won’t happen. The mask just keeps coming off, the people are seeing how ugly their ideology and its violence is, and while the normies get turned off, those already in get more and more radical. It has fewer redeeming qualities than the actual Nazis, and ultimately little to recommend it but a potential display of strength. And that’s not going to be enough for them to get into power. And if they do get into power, well, While Machiavelli said it was better to be feared than loved (with a combination of the two being preferable), the least desirable position of all was to be hated, because at a certain point, hatred overrules fear and, when that happens, your days are numbered. And I can’t see that progressing beyond being hated by a majority of the population, and when you’ve established legitimacy by violently storming the capitol and demonstrating you have zero interest in democracy, it becomes clear this can’t work out long-term.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
More things to consider - about a quarter of the armed forces are african american. Do we expect them to go along with the confederate units?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 13, 2021 at 7:03 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: More things to consider - about a quarter of the armed forces are african american.  Do we expect them to go along with the confederate units?

I would hope not but then again, I know a couple of black people who are Trump supporters.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
@Rev. Rye

I think that they failed to learn the lesson of charlottesville.  The alt rights then-darlings completely blew it.  It was too far too fast for the rest to follow.  That left a void for these q-anon loons to fill and end up doing the same thing.

@Spongebob

It takes more than a few trump supporters to replace a quarter of the military's capabilities. The small fraction of combat arms (which is surprisingly white, btw) depends on a larger web of support personnel, without which, we'd mostly be farmboys from nowhere sitting around looking dumb.
(January 13, 2021 at 7:07 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: @Rev. Rye

I think that they failed to learn the lesson of charlottesville.  The alt rights then-darlings completely blew it.  It was too far too fast for the rest to follow.  That left a void for these q-anon loons to fill and end up doing the same thing.
The big perk of fighting with a psychopath: they don’t learn from their mistakes.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
The only way secession ever happens again is if the country is already in such a dire, existential crisis that the union is probably already doomed, in which the federal government has lost its ability to project its power internally. No state, or collection of states, will ever just fuck off from a US which is as stable and unified as it is right now. The government would never allow it, and no state which tried it would be able to survive, either militarily or economically. It is inconceivable.
Separatists don't seem to care about what's good for their state, or even themselves, for that matter. There won't be a confederacy. It's an insurgency.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not Texas - but still the old Confederacy Minimalist 6 1107 July 11, 2013 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: cratehorus