Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Quranic Reflection]: is being closed minded the cause of disbelief ?
[Quranic Reflection]: is being closed minded the cause of disbelief ?
Not believing is actually a type of "not making sense" of the environment around .
I reached this conclusion from the following verse in the Quran:

Quote:Sura 10, The Quran:
https://quran.com/10/100?translations=

(100) It is not for any soul to believe except by Allah’s leave, and He will bring His wrath upon those who are unmindful.

[Translation]: Dr. Mustafa Khattab, the Clear Quran

History proved that the worst type of humans are ignorant humans who insist on staying ignorant and never open their minds to new things.
Actually; you can compare the humans of the past who were ready to crucify another person for believing earth was round, to the modern people who accept even multiverses.
RE: [Quranic Reflection]: is being closed minded the cause of disbelief ?
Nope.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yes, you can compare people who crucified others.... With people who believe in multiverse.... If you are a complete idiot like the creator of this thread.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
Being closed-minded is when one clings to a point of view for non-rational reasons. It's an equal-opportunity problem, and affects believers of all religions as much as it affects non-believers.

Holding to a point of view for a sensible reason (for example, not believing a religious claim because there's no non-scriptural evidence to back it up) is not being closed-minded. It's the rational withholding of belief when the purported evidence is too weak to stand on its own merits.
People who don't believe in God(s) are open-minded, it's just that there is no evidence for God. For instance, here Richard Dawkins explains how as a scientist he is agnostic when it comes to God, just like he is agnostic when it comes to pink unicorns, teapots around Venus, flat Earth - he is always opened to evidence for them, it's just that there is no evidence.

after 1min 45 sec

Indeed, it seems that religious people are those who are close-minded because they are not opened to a possibility that there is no God.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(January 31, 2021 at 11:12 pm)WinterHold Wrote: Not believing is actually a type of "not making sense" of the environment around .

(100) It is not for any soul to believe except by Allah’s leave, and He will bring His wrath upon those who are unmindful.

History proved that the worst type of humans are ignorant humans who insist on staying ignorant and never open their minds to new things.
Actually; you can compare the humans of the past who were ready to crucify another person for believing earth was round, to the modern people who accept even multiverses.

According to that verse, the cause of disbelief is Allah, and nothing else. It says that we can only believe if Allah gives us permission to do so, but he'll punish us for not believing. 

What a fucking monster.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 31, 2021 at 11:12 pm)WinterHold Wrote: Not believing is actually a type of "not making sense" of the environment around .

No.
Believing is accepting some unproven explanation of the environment around, instead knowing (or searching for) the actual real explanation.

Believing in conspiracy theories provides some sense to the world around, but, for the most part, they're not founded in anything real and they turn out to have little to no bearing on reality.

(January 31, 2021 at 11:12 pm)WinterHold Wrote: I reached this conclusion from the following verse in the Quran:

You can compare believers in gods with the recent believers in the Qanon conspiracy that were ready to kill US senators and destroy the american democracy
In the end, it didn't turn out very well for the believers, did it?

(February 1, 2021 at 5:36 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: According to that verse, the cause of disbelief is Allah, and nothing else. It says that we can only believe if Allah gives us permission to do so, but he'll punish us for not believing. 

What a fucking monster.

Boru

Indeed, Quran is clear in many places that Allah purposely created many people and jinns for hell with their "hearts closed" and their "eyes that can not see". So many people are predestined to go to Hell because Allah wants it that way.

Here are just some of these verses:

(7:179) And certainly We have created for Hell many of the jinn and mankind; they have hearts with which they fail to understand; and they have eyes with which they fail to see; and they have ears with which they fail to hear. They are like cattle - indeed, even more astray. Such are utterly heedless.

(28:56) Indeed, you [Prophet] do not guide whome you like, but Allah guides whome He wills.

16:37  Allah certainly does not guide those He leaves to stray, and they will have no helpers.

18:17  Whoever Allah guides is truly guided. But whoever He leaves to stray, you will never find for them a guiding mentor.

6:125  Whoever Allah wills to guide, He opens their heart to Islam. But whoever He wills to leave astray, He makes their chest tight and constricted as if they were climbing up into the sky. This is how Allah dooms those who disbelieve.

2:6-7  Indeed, those who disbelieve - it is all the same for them whether you warn them or do not warn them - they will not believe. Allah has set a seal upon their hearts and upon their hearing, and over their vision is a veil. And for them is a great punishment.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

No.

Not at work.
(February 1, 2021 at 3:08 am)Astreja Wrote: Being closed-minded is when one clings to a point of view for non-rational reasons.  It's an equal-opportunity problem, and affects believers of all religions as much as it affects non-believers.

Holding to a point of view for a sensible reason (for example, not believing a religious claim because there's no non-scriptural evidence to back it up) is not being closed-minded.  It's the rational withholding of belief when the purported evidence is too weak to stand on its own merits.

There is a word for this attitude: stubbornness. Stubbornness is practiced by all humans, but it's not always carried out because of insufficient evidence given by the other party: in many times there are other causes for stubbornness, including racism,sexism, or whatever causing it.

The more a person is stubborn the harder for them to learn anything new; hence believe in anything new too. I think many athiests are stubborn; not just "finding that the provided evidence is not sufficient".

(February 1, 2021 at 5:36 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

According to that verse, the cause of disbelief is Allah, and nothing else. It says that we can only believe if Allah gives us permission to do so, but he'll punish us for not believing. 

What a fucking monster.

Boru

God created everything. Even evil is his creation. See this verse from the Quran:

Quote:Sura 91, The Quran:
https://quran.com/91/10?translations=

7)And by the soul and ˹the One˺ Who fashioned it,
8)then with ˹the knowledge of˺ right and wrong inspired it! 
9)Successful indeed is the one who purifies their soul, 
10)and doomed is the one who corrupts it!

You should accept how he created the world, and avoid the evil but practice the good deeds.
Just like you accept the good energy of the sun but avoid its heat.
Just like you accept the good feeling you get from swimming but avoid drowning.
Just like you accept the good patting on a cat but avoid lions.

But playing with evil only makes you a fiend.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Quranic Reflection] : "Joseph; he came to you before with the clear proofs". WinterHold 60 4252 September 22, 2023 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  [Quranic Reflection]: The Aten. WinterHold 35 2764 June 10, 2023 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  [Quranic Reflection]: the sound of hell. WinterHold 13 1408 April 18, 2023 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  [Quranic reflection]: Homosexuality is nothing but Sexual Gratification. WinterHold 58 4074 March 27, 2023 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  [Quranic reflection]: hell is a black hole-part V, objects never leave hell. WinterHold 40 2976 January 5, 2023 at 11:57 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  [Quranic reflection]: hell is a black hole-part IV: the noodle effect. WinterHold 21 2078 November 25, 2022 at 11:25 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  [Quranic reflection]: What is time? WinterHold 13 1291 July 29, 2022 at 3:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Quranic reflection]: The Big Bang theory in the Quran. WinterHold 62 4195 June 14, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Quranic reflection]: hell is a black hole-part III WinterHold 71 4459 May 8, 2022 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: JairCrawford
  [Quranic Reflection]: Quran vs Hadith- why the Hadith is false WinterHold 176 11491 January 15, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda