Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jesus and the birds
RE: Jesus and the birds
(March 1, 2021 at 12:13 pm)Drich Wrote: how doesn't it make sense? like with the birds food is always there.

Except for the birds who end up as food

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 1, 2021 at 1:01 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(March 1, 2021 at 12:13 pm)Drich Wrote: how doesn't it make sense? like with the birds food is always there.

Except for the birds who end up as food

indeed
Indeed. This also reminds me of Julia Sweeney and what she said:

Quote:The next day we visited an island where the Blue-footed Boobies were tending to their new babies. The Blue-footed Booby babies are the cutest animals in the world, almost to the level of absurdity. They have this bright, white, longhaired fur that sticks out all over, and these blue beaks and feet, and these huge plaintive eyes.

Usually the Blue-footed Boobies have just one baby per pregnancy, but every once in awhile they have two. And when they do the stronger sibling usually pecks the brains out of the weaker one.

So we were looking at all these adorable Blue-footed Booby babies and then we found one pecking the brains out of its weaker sibling. And the naturalist was telling us that this was routine. That now the frigate bird would probably come soon and carry the dead baby off to feed its family. That's the way it went.

And I looked at this poor doomed Blue-footed Booby baby, with its brains hanging out of its head. And we sort of looked at each other in the eye for a moment. He looked at me like, "What are you going to do? I'm the weaker Blue-footed Booby baby."

I thought, "Oh. God... is not nature. God is not nature. I mean, nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little Blue-footed Booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger sibling. God, I mean, the God I know, the God of love and compassion, that isn't exactly found in nature.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Don't look. Warning. Jesus not holding up to well. Birds winning!

That only looks like a human skeleton....
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Oh how I wish it were so!  My only cost is feed.  

In Mere Reality, it's often the case that there isn't enough food for a given population of animals.  Food doesn't just lay around, like it were on a shelf in a box.  Food moves.  Food protects itself.  Food is difficult to access.  Food is monitored by predators.  Sometimes...food...isn't.

Still, let's actually run with this.  For some species with extreme mobility - all of the above problems can be solved by turning into a ravenous migrant caravan of eaters.  Is this what you imagine your god was advising?

........or.......Is this what you imagine that some magically limited human manifestation of your god - who doesn't know everything let alone important details about feeding birds..was advising?

#choices.

Mind you, I actually like this story - but it's manifestly clear that Jesus™ was speaking to a civilized and romanized crowd about pigeons. No one who keeps animals could do anything but laugh if some asshole said that as an assertion about reality-at-large. Now, or then. I'm guessing that you won't appreciate the specific pastoral context of your gods exhortation?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 2, 2021 at 10:03 pm)Angrboda Wrote: That only looks like a human skeleton....

It's Jesus damnit.

Stop ruining my fun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3061 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7176 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Jesus the Spiritual Warrior vs Jesus the Sacrificial Lamb Dosaiah 8 7361 December 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist