Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flying house of Loreto
Flying house of Loreto
This is one of those topics where we laugh at the nonsense that Christians believe. So don’t forget to write a lot of Ha-Has and Hi-His.

The year was 1291 and the Middle East was being filled more and more by those heretical Muslims. God couldn’t stand anymore to stare at his wife’s house being under siege by these barbarians of the wrong religion, so he sent angels to pick it up and carry it from Nazareth to Europe. And on the night of 9 May in the year 1291 it first arrived in Raunitza (Dalmatia), between Tersato and Fiume. In the morning, the inhabitants of Raunitza saw to their great astonishment the house standing on a spot where no house had stood before. In the house they found a cross on an altar and a statue of the Holy Virgin. The bishop of the region, who lay sick in bed, recovered his health at once and told everyone about the revelation he had received. The governor of Fiume, Nicolaus Frangipani, sent a delegation to Nazareth, which was informed by the locals that the holy house had disappeared from Nazareth. The foundation, which was still intact, matched the outline of the strange house in Raunitza.

All this was taken down in sworn testimony and may be read in the archives of Fiume. But after three years and seven months, on the night of 10 December 1294, the house vanished from Raunitza and suddenly appeared near the city of Recanati in Italy. Shepherds had seen it glide over the sea. Later, however, the house moved on. It first moved two kilometers and then another 150 meters, toward Loreto, where it plumped itself down on a public highway. There it stands to this day.

Popes Pius V and Sixtus V, built a splendid basilica over the house. Unfortunately, the wonder-working image was stolen by the French in 1797, but Napoleon had it returned in 1801.

The 19th century Saint Therese de Lisieux wrote in her diary after she visited the house: "I was deeply moved to be under the very roof which had sheltered the Holy Family, and to be looking at the walls on which Our Lord had gazed and walking on the ground once moistened by St. joseph’s sweat, and to be where Mary had carried Jesus in her arms after carrying Him in her virginal womb. I saw the little room of the Annunciation and I put my rosary in the dish used by the Child Jesus."
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Flying house of Loreto
FYI: Basilica della Santa Casa - Wikipedia
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
RE: Flying house of Loreto
A childish belief in magic is just the best.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any YECs in the house here? Jehanne 71 9182 June 28, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Flood destroys Tony Perkins' house drfuzzy 14 2067 August 18, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: brewer
  Atheist house rules? TubbyTubby 25 5569 July 2, 2015 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Joods
  Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.) Strider 25 6723 December 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: abaris
  So I'm sitting here at my parents' house... SteelCurtain 21 4919 June 9, 2014 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Man is the Head of the House Christian 59 20646 January 26, 2013 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Flying Christian Zombies? Cinjin 10 4718 May 28, 2012 at 1:58 am
Last Post: Cinjin