Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Do you remember ‘penis inspection day’ at school?
RE: Do you remember ‘penis inspection day’ at school?
Florida DOE just said hold my beer.

Quote:Recognize how Judeo-Christian values influenced America's Founding ideals and documents.

● Students will analyze the degree of civic participation inherent in these civilizations.
● Students will identify Judeo-Christian values (e.g., rule of law, God-given rights, equality of mankind, limited government, separation of powers, consent of the governed) in founding documents.
● Students will recognize the influence of the Protestant work ethic on economic freedom and personal responsibility.
● Students will recognize the influence of the Ten Commandments on establishing the rule of law in America.
● Students will explain what is meant by "All men are created equal and are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
https://www.atheists.org/2021/04/christi...ion-alert/
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 22, 2021 at 11:23 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Florida DOE just said hold my beer.

Quote:Recognize how Judeo-Christian values influenced America's Founding ideals and documents.

● Students will analyze the degree of civic participation inherent in these civilizations.
● Students will identify Judeo-Christian values (e.g., rule of law, God-given rights, equality of mankind, limited government, separation of powers, consent of the governed) in founding documents.
● Students will recognize the influence of the Protestant work ethic on economic freedom and personal responsibility.
● Students will recognize the influence of the Ten Commandments on establishing the rule of law in America.
● Students will explain what is meant by "All men are created equal and are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
I don't think those things made the list on the Catholic schools I attended.  Good Grief!  They actually were pretty good about separation of church and state other than our actual religion classes.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

"Penis inspection day". Welp, thats a new bi-weekly holiday that I am trademarking.
I can't wait to inform the misses.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(April 22, 2021 at 11:23 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Florida DOE just said hold my beer.

That's bullshit.

What does it mean that they're "moving forward" with this? Is it a done deal, and the next step is implementation? Because liberal American values do NOT find a foundation in Christianity, and it's miseducation to suggest otherwise.
They'll be closing down comments on it tomorrow.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
So, even Florida being Florida, I don't think this will go through...
This seems like a bad bill, but I'm going to play devil's advocate for the whole trans-in-sports thing.

Trans men-to-women athletes experience significant performance gains from muscle put on from past male testosterone levels. While overall strength will wane if those levels are reduced, it can take years. That is my understanding, and I am willing to be corrected.

So, this is a battle between a human rights issue, and fair competition for other athletes. (Plus, some athletics is big business).

However, at high-school level, this really shouldn't be an issue. It has been grabbed by the religious right.
(April 22, 2021 at 1:03 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote: This seems like a bad bill, but I'm going to play devil's advocate for the whole trans-in-sports thing.

Trans men-to-women athletes experience significant performance gains from muscle put on from past male testosterone levels.  While overall strength will wane if those levels are reduced, it can take years.  That is my understanding, and I am willing to be corrected.

So, this is a battle between a human rights issue, and fair competition for other athletes.  (Plus, some athletics is big business).

However, at high-school level, this really shouldn't be an issue.  It has been grabbed by the religious right.

I think our gender divisions concerning sports were formed in a society that didn't recognize transgenderism. So there might be some growing pains involved. It might take us a while to figure out how to handle some of this stuff.
(April 22, 2021 at 11:55 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: So, even Florida being Florida, I don't think this will go through...

Well, florida being forida, this isn't their first merry go round.  It's not so much a question of whether it would or could go through, but how long it would stand if it did.

That's kind of the point - it's yet another attempt to force an issue to the courts while they believe it to be advantageous or most advantageous to do so.
(April 22, 2021 at 1:43 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(April 22, 2021 at 11:55 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: So, even Florida being Florida, I don't think this will go through...

Well, florida being forida, this isn't their first merry go round.  It's not so much a question of whether it would or could go through, but how long it would stand if it did.

That's kind of the point - it's yet another attempt to force an issue to the courts while they believe it to be advantageous or most advantageous to do so.

You know what would be cool? If they actually taught (in detail) the theories of John Locke. For as much influence as he's had on our political philosophy it's puzzling that most American students barely know who he is.

There's even some (supposed) Christian foundation in Locke's thinking. But y'know what I think? 

I think John Locke was an atheist or deist who was heavily influenced by Baruch Spinoza. But since he had to publicly rebuke Spinoza (which he did) in order to not be harassed by theocratic social forces, he decided to add unnecessary "Christian bits." to his political theory. But if you examine it closely, it's arguably shaped by Spinozian ideas and not by Biblical formulas.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone remember Mark Spitz? abaris 19 1696 August 19, 2016 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: brewer