Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eight years later, 'Dexter' is returning for a ninth season
RE: Eight years later, 'Dexter' is returning for a ninth season
(September 13, 2021 at 11:03 am)arewethereyet Wrote: We drifted away from the show before the last couple seasons...not really sure why but I have heard the ending wasn't satisfying so I have never bother to go back to it.

I get frustrated after spending years following a show only to have the end be the worst writing of the entire run.  LOST simply pissed me off.  I was late coming to it and  watched DVDs from Blockbuster of all places to get caught up, only to be completely pissed at the ending.

Felt the same with 'Game of Thrones'.  I watched some seasons multiple times and have them all on DVD.  I haven't even taken the plastic off the last season.

It was no where near as bad as Lost.  The show was well written right up to the last episode.  In fact, the last season was extremely suspenseful with major revelations that I won't divulge.  It's one of those cases where you just can't help from saying, "why didn't he just....."
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
So it's back. Did anyone watch it? I saw the first episode and I guess it's a bit like Dexter in a Hallmark movie.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Looks as though I won't be watching it because paying for cable is a scam.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 9, 2021 at 1:46 am)Foxaire Wrote: Looks as though I won't be watching it because paying for cable is a scam.

So what happened to the old Foxaire on the 2nd page of "Otter's Official Television Thread"?

https://atheistforums.org/thread-49400-p...pid1570328
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I stopped watching Dexter when it sunk in that the protagonist is a psychopath who kills people. IMO there is nothing heroic or laudable in the psychopathic character.
Hehe, totally whiffed it on the castlevania thing, turned out to be really, really good.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 9, 2021 at 5:18 pm)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote: I stopped watching Dexter when it sunk in that the protagonist is a psychopath who kills people.  IMO there is nothing heroic or laudable in the psychopathic character.

A protagonist doesn’t have to be heroic or laudable to be interesting. 

And the case could be made that Dexter’s particular brand of psychopathy is both heroic AND laudable; since he only preys on serial killers - at great risk to himself - he’s preventing more deaths than he causes.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Alot of the protagonists in western culture are psychopaths who kill people. It might express our dim awareness that anyone capable of being a hero in our cultural context is probably dealing with a little aberrant psychology. I know, I know, we might now contend that we got something about this all wrong - but that;s only because we started to wonder both if our heroes were ordinary, and asserting that they were, the thrust of dave grohls best song.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 9, 2021 at 5:18 pm)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote: I stopped watching Dexter when it sunk in that the protagonist is a psychopath who kills people.  IMO there is nothing heroic or laudable in the psychopathic character.

But he only kills bad people. That’s the catch. 😉

Despite the fact that the series took a nose dive after season 5, it’s totally worth watching, IMO. I’m waiting for the reviews on the limited series to come out before I pay to watch it though. I was heartbroken over The X-files reboot, and will not go through that again. 

#sensitivefangurl
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(November 9, 2021 at 5:11 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(November 9, 2021 at 1:46 am)Foxaire Wrote: Looks as though I won't be watching it because paying for cable is a scam.

So what happened to the old Foxaire on the 2nd page of "Otter's Official Television Thread"?

https://atheistforums.org/thread-49400-p...pid1570328

I currently don't have a laptop and have been using a tablet upon which to watch my shows.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abba return to UK top 10 after 40 years... Duty 10 1129 September 11, 2021 at 6:07 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  "Who Wants To Be A Billion Years Old"? Brian37 2 347 January 31, 2021 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  An 80s song that could apply to the past 4 years. Brian37 39 2108 November 25, 2020 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Still Alive and kicking decades later. Brian37 7 644 July 15, 2020 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  TWD Season 6 Foxaèr 271 28390 June 23, 2020 at 2:26 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  2 years back, I wrote this poem. Mystic 5 590 November 13, 2018 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Round 2 (8 years ago I did this poem) Mystic 1 458 November 13, 2018 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Cod
  75 Years of Joni Mitchell! Happy Birthday! chimp3 4 536 September 7, 2018 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Pern, Season One. Gawdzilla Sama 11 522 September 7, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Anyone else watching season 2 of Legion? The Industrial Atheist 2 459 April 16, 2018 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye