Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nobody who works 40 hours.....
RE: Nobody who works 40 hours.....
(May 4, 2021 at 10:19 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 4, 2021 at 10:12 am)arewethereyet Wrote: Why is this even a discussion with someone who doesn't work?

I did, or is retirement illegal? I've worked for over 30 years. Is it the plot of a human to simply de driven into the ground until they die.

Pretty sure you work right now, do you? If you do, wouldn't you like to have a few years where you could relax? Is it right to blame others who are in that position?

I work part time.  And I love it.  If I had to fill my days with nothingness, I would go mad.

I like being challenged.  I like learning new things.  I like having the extra money.  I like being productive. 

I'm quite relaxed as I have no commute any more. I work at home except for one day a week I make a drive to the office to pick up paperwork and checks.  That takes about 2 hours.  Some days I work 6 or 7 hours...somedays 1 or 2.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 4, 2021 at 10:27 am)arewethereyet Wrote:
(May 4, 2021 at 10:19 am)Brian37 Wrote: I did, or is retirement illegal? I've worked for over 30 years. Is it the plot of a human to simply de driven into the ground until they die.

Pretty sure you work right now, do you? If you do, wouldn't you like to have a few years where you could relax? Is it right to blame others who are in that position?

I work part time.  And I love it.  If I had to fill my days with nothingness, I would go mad.

I like being challenged.  I like learning new things.  I like having the extra money.  I like being productive. 

I'm quite relaxed as I have no commute any more. I work at home except for one day a week I make a drive to the office to pick up papwerwork and checks.  That takes about 2 hours.  Some days I work 6 or 7 hours...somedays 1 or 2.

Don't project yourself on me. Sure, there are lots of people who like to be phyicially busy. Nobody is saying that is a bad thing. You keep missing my point in that it is an INDIVIDUAL thing. I don't like runningmyself arround 24/7. I like my patterns. You like your patterns.

And what stupidly makes you think my life is is filled with "nothingness"? 

I am relaxed myself now too. Isn't that the goal? 

Unfortunately for most, they don't have my option. Unfortunately for more and more, they have to work longer hours for less pay and until they die. Life is not worth living to me, if one has to constantly struggle only to be a tool to benefit others. And as far as your work hours good for you. It seems like you set your own schedule. I am happy for you, and that is no joke. But reality is, most people don't have that option. I certainly didn't most of my life. 

I busted my ass in construction labor, convienence stores, department stores, fast food and other jobs for 30 years. I damned sure know what it is like to know how it is to be physicaly exausted and work long hours. So is your solution for me to work until I die?
Still waiting for an answer to my earlier question.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
i use to live in my service truck as i was on call 24/7/365 i would work 6 hours take one or two to sleep and work another six, and on and on for sometimes upto a week or more straight. if i could. this was ideal.. but some times i'd work for days and sleep any 10 or 15 min break i could. (durning the busy season may to december) I kept that pace for about 25 years. (check some of the times of my earliest posts) it's not till recently that i go to bed at ten and can sleep through the night. I honestly think i get more rest in 2 hours off and 6 on than i do in a straight 8. however i found if i break four hours of sleep i need to goto 6 hours to not feel groggy. the point is it's doable if you know this is how it has to be. what's more i did not drink coffee or energy drinks. I do now..
(May 4, 2021 at 10:42 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 4, 2021 at 10:27 am)arewethereyet Wrote: I work part time.  And I love it.  If I had to fill my days with nothingness, I would go mad.

I'm quite relaxed as I have no commute any more. I work at home except for one day a week I make a drive to the office to pick up papwerwork and checks.  That takes about 2 hours.  Some days I work 6 or 7 hours...somedays 1 or 2.

Don't project yourself on me. Sure, there are lots of people who like to be phyicially busy. Nobody is saying that is a bad thing. You keep missing my point in that it is an INDIVIDUAL thing. I don't like runningmyself arround 24/7. I like my patterns. You like your patterns.

And what stupidly makes you think my life is is filled with "nothingness"? 

I am relaxed myself now too. Isn't that the goal? 

Unfortunately for most, they don't have my option. Unfortunately for more and more, they have to work longer hours for less pay and until they die. Life is not worth living to me, if one has to constantly struggle only to be a tool to benefit others. And as far as your work hours good for you. It seems like you set your own schedule. I am happy for you, and that is no joke. But reality is, most people don't have that option. I certainly didn't most of my life. 

I busted my ass in construction labor, convienence stores, department stores, fast food and other jobs for 30 years. I damned sure know what it is like to know how it is to be physicaly exausted and work long hours. So is your solution for me to work until I die?

Where do you see me projecting onto you?  Those were pretty much all "I" statements.  You took is as something it wasn't.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

A better argument for set schedules™, perhaps, is that even though people can work all sorts of strange hours - their work quality suffers.

The employer is paying more, for less - and then passing that cost off to the consumer. The argument for their doing this is perfectly circular. If they didn't do this, then they wouldn't be in a position to....do this? This, ofc, assuming that business simply requires it...which, ofc, it doesn't.

The Wife has this fun little spiel for her clients. The gist is that they pay her the same for a good or bad hour of labor, and if they're getting bad hours, that's their fault - they're bad at business. She'll hand them suggestions, and the bill.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Swing shifts are a bear. We used to live near a large Michelin plant and all but the office staff were on swings. So many people in the area where we lived were employed by Michelin that it was just a thing.

However, we aren't ever going to do away with people working what some consider strange hours. Husband worked for years from about 1pm till 11pm. He and I and the kids were literally ships passing in the night. Took me forever to get used to him working days...in fact, I'm still adjusting after nearly 16 years.

My son works for Pepsi and though he works days now he never has two days off in a row and never the same two days from one week to the next.

The thing with some of these places that makes them able to keep people working nutty hours is they offer good benefits and often decent to good pay.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof gun control works GrandizerII 115 5537 August 23, 2019 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  German General election ends in 4 hours Alex K 24 4829 September 25, 2017 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Nobody dies because they don't have access to health care. Jehanne 29 5975 May 11, 2017 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Stephen Colbert Works Over Drumpf Minimalist 0 756 January 12, 2017 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Bernie Sanders raises $6.4 Million in 24 hours with an average donation of $34 Heat 0 508 February 15, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: Heat
  Nobody believes abortion is murder CapnAwesome 136 33126 April 8, 2013 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Nation wide legalization of marijuana may be in the works. TaraJo 18 4409 February 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Nobody Mentions Romney's 47 Percent Remarks cratehorus 14 4992 October 9, 2012 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  This is how the American health care system works. Dotard 2 1357 April 10, 2011 at 9:32 am
Last Post: HeyItsZeus