Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nobody wants to work anymore
RE: Nobody wants to work anymore
(May 10, 2021 at 1:06 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote: They'd rather stay home and get the free Biden Bucks.....

So people would rather stay home and be poor than work and be poor. I get that.

Boru

In fact, it’s possible to be poorer with a job than without one if you need childcare.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
I've got several openings in Corpus Christi right now that I can't fill.

Quote:Description
RedTown Services, LLC is seeking General Laborers for our Corpus Christi Project location. The Laborer will assist electricians, plumbers, and equipment installers with Jobsite cleanliness, organization, and general labor activities.

JOB SPECIFICATIONS

Qualifications/Education Requirements
Able to successfully complete background check for work at NASCC.
Valid driver’s license.
Must have reliable transportation.
Minimum of high school diploma/GED preferred.
Ability to work well with others.
Some construction knowledge/experience a plus.
Essential Functions
Assisting Journeyman trades as needed.
Assisting operations staff as needed.
Assemble shop furniture, shelving and rack systems.
Prepare and maintain clean workspaces.
Loading and unloading of materials.
Maintain safekeeping of materials and supplies in storage area.
Additional duties may be required as needed.
Physical Demands/Requirements

Sitting-Frequent 2.5 to 5.5 hours per day
Standing- Frequent 2.5 to 5.5 hours per day
Lift/Carry-Frequent 0-20 lbs.
Lift/Carry Occasional- up to 100 lbs.
Drive-Never
Walk- Frequent 2.5 to 5.5 hours per day
Reach Above- Frequent 2.5 to 5.5 hours per day
Bend/Stoop-Frequent 2.5 to 5.5 hours per day
Use Hands for pushing/pulling- Frequent 2.5 to 5.5 hours per day
Use Hands for fine manipulation- Frequent 2.5 to 5.5 hours per day
Stress Level-Moderate
Work Environment

Working mainly in a climate-controlled environment, some outdoor exposure can be expected while assisting trades while relocating/transporting equipment.

JOB SUMMARY/OBJECTIVE

RedTown Technical Services, LLC. is looking for a Journeyman Plumber to join our Corpus Christi, TX team.

JOB SPECIFICATIONS

Minimum 5 years of work history as a Plumber with large project experience
Solid understanding of the plumbing codes and installation methods
Able to read blueprints, legend symbols, and one-line diagrams
Knowledge of tools, equipment, and materials common to the plumbing trade
Trained and qualified to operate machinery such as scissor lifts, forklifts, etc.
Team player
Safety-conscious
TDLR Journeyman License Required
OSHA 10/30 preferred.
Essential Functions
Setup, layout and install various piping types for cold water, non-potable water, compressed air, chilled water, and RO/DI systems per design drawings
Install Hangers and supports for various pipes and sizes
Familiar with multiple pipe types and their connections (PVC, Steel, Copper, etc.)
Perform the inspection and testing of equipment and systems following industry and specified standards
Make final plumbing connections for local equipment installed on-site
Troubleshooting and commissioning
Material estimating and takeoffs
Documenting As-built conditions
Additional duties may be required as needed

Drive-Never
Stress Level-Moderate
Work Environment

Working mainly in a climate-controlled environment, some outdoor exposure can be expected while relocating/transporting equipment.

The laborer position starts at $19 an hour. The plumber starts at $35. Full benefits package. Decent health insurance. Company pays 100% of the policy cost for the employee. Paid sick time, vacation and 10 annual holidays. Short term disability, life insurance. Zero applications for either of these positions in more than 3 weeks.

People don't want to work...
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(May 10, 2021 at 2:31 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: I've got several openings in Corpus Christi right now that I can't fill.

RedTown Services, LLC is seeking General Laborers for our Corpus Christi Project location. The Laborer will assist electricians, plumbers, and equipment installers with Jobsite cleanliness, organization, and general labor activities.

JOB SPECIFICATIONS

Valid driver’s license.
Essential Functions

Drive-Never
Stress Level-Moderate
Work Environment

Working mainly in a climate-controlled environment, some outdoor exposure can be expected while assisting trades while relocating/transporting equipment.

JOB SUMMARY/OBJECTIVE

RedTown Technical Services, LLC. is looking for a Journeyman Plumber to join our Corpus Christi, TX team.

JOB SPECIFICATIONS

Trained and qualified to operate machinery such as scissor lifts, forklifts, etc.
Team player
Safety-conscious
OSHA 10/30 preferred.
Essential Functions
Setup, layout and install various piping types for cold water, non-potable water, compressed air, chilled water, and RO/DI systems per design drawings
Familiar with multiple pipe types and their connections (PVC, Steel, Copper, etc.)
Perform the inspection and testing of equipment and systems following industry and specified standards

Drive-Never
Stress Level-Moderate
Work Environment

Working mainly in a climate-controlled environment, some outdoor exposure can be expected while relocating/transporting equipment.

The laborer position starts at $19 an hour. The plumber starts at $35. Full benefits package. Decent health insurance. Company pays 100% of the policy cost for the employee. Paid sick time, vacation and 10 annual holidays. Short term disability, life insurance. Zero applications for either of these positions in more than 3 weeks.

Based on that, you really can’t justify ‘people don’t want to work’. The most you can say is that people don’t want to work those two particular jobs.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 10, 2021 at 2:31 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: I've got several openings in Corpus Christi right now that I can't fill.

JOB SPECIFICATIONS

Valid driver’s license.
Essential Functions

Drive-Never
Stress Level-Moderate
Work Environment

JOB SUMMARY/OBJECTIVE

JOB SPECIFICATIONS

Team player
Safety-conscious
OSHA 10/30 preferred.
Essential Functions

Drive-Never
Stress Level-Moderate
Work Environment

I worked as a bookkeeper for about six months at a small plumbing company.  I saw a lot of turnover with the guys in the field except for the owner's son and a couple other long term plumbers/journeymen.  It seemed to me that it really took a certain person to fill the role and to want to stay with it.  A couple had worked there for quite a long time but didn't have the initiative to follow through with the training and licensure to move up.  We also had a problem with people not wanting to spend any time on call.  Plumbing issues don't just happen between 8 am and 5 pm.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 10, 2021 at 11:30 am)onlinebiker Wrote:  
At DOUBLE "minimum wage" - he  can't find anyone who will actually show up for work. Reason? They'd rather stay home and get the free Biden Bucks.....

I just watched Jan Psaki and that doesn't seem to be the case

(May 9, 2021 at 9:02 pm)Eleven Wrote: [Image: 58wx6w.jpg]

Maybe if you found a job that you like you would love to work. Like would you like to work if you were the best-selling author and people would constantly write asking you when will the new novel about gay atheists be finished?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(May 10, 2021 at 2:54 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Based on that, you really can’t justify ‘people don’t want to work’. The most you can say is that people don’t want to work those two particular jobs.

Boru

Yes I can. People don't want to work at these jobs because of how much they can get paid for sitting on their ass at home. The SCA wage determination for these laborer positions is $12.71 an hour, and I had to fight with the government 2 years ago to get them to let me pay someone $19 so I could hire some decent help. The problem now is they can get $20.88 an hour for staying home. So no, no one wants to do these jobs despite the decent benefits because they can make more doing nothing. I didn't have a problem hiring for this type of position when unemployment only paid $13.38 an hour.
(May 10, 2021 at 12:33 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(May 9, 2021 at 9:02 pm)Eleven Wrote: [Image: 58wx6w.jpg]

Did anyone ever really want to work?

When I ran my own department - did my own job quotes and had a great engineer to work with as needed - I loved my job and looked forward to going in each morning....

b-mine.

There's a simpler explanation.  Wink

At any rate, I don't think that americans would be superwilling to go back to work until we feel as though our government has the plague sorted. Job could offer great pay and all kinds of benefits - there's still gonna be some discussion of the plague. Actually made me wonder how you guys were doing - looks like a little more than 10% of the population is listed as recovered from covid? About as many people as -live- in the town I'm in, lots of open employment orders here too.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
People want to work, but they want to be paid a living wage and not the bullshit these companies offer them. Some companies have started to figure this out. Weird how if you offer more wages, more people will apply to the job.

"But some businesses can't AFFORD to pay $15/hour+!"

Then they deserve to go out of business tbh.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
(May 10, 2021 at 7:47 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:

b-mine.

There's a simpler explanation.  Wink

At any rate, I don't think that americans would be superwilling to go back to work until we feel as though our government has the plague sorted.  Job could offer great pay and all kinds of benefits - there's still gonna be some discussion of the plague.  Actually made me wonder how you guys were doing - looks like a little more than 10% of the population is listed as recovered from covid?  About as many people as -live- in the town I'm in, lots of open employment orders here too.

Yea, Corpus is shit hole. Not where I'm at, BTW. Just where one of my projects is. The fact remains though that it was easier to hire people there a year and half ago when the unemployment rate was in the four than it is today when it's in the eights.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't get the link to work here but. Brian37 21 1240 July 29, 2021 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: no one
  Nobody talks about the Amazons LastPoet 13 1973 August 30, 2019 at 9:51 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Goddess wants to know.... Dom 11 1067 September 27, 2018 at 8:50 am
Last Post: brewer
  Any photographers in Louisiana looking for work? popeyespappy 0 525 September 21, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Why Did Dante Title His Work The Divine Comedy? Rhondazvous 10 3171 August 30, 2017 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Work From Home Water Cooler Thread Shell B 43 4304 July 24, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  How do hashtags work? Foxaèr 6 1646 June 17, 2017 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Acquaintances that want your work for free J a c k 35 3828 March 11, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Female wants to join Boy Scouts Richard Loeb 30 4309 March 10, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Who wants a meet-up? Cyberman 5 685 February 24, 2017 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Cyberman