Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orchestra conductors.
Orchestra conductors.
It is admittedly for me, a puzzel. But I never understood, when watching bands or orchestras where the leader waves a stick in the air and the other members follow that stick. My mind knows there is a reason for it, but not being musically apt, it just looks like a person waving their hands all over the place. 

Up down, waving left to right, this one person is the focus to the musicians, everyone looks at them, the conductor, while at the same time looking at their easle.

One can brag about their favorite music. But when it comes to orchestras and symphonys, there is no greater complexity and collaboration to music. 

I just don't understand what the role is for a conductor. They simply stand there and wave a stick in their hand.
RE: Orchestra conductors.
You have Google at your disposal, correct?
(May 14, 2021 at 5:53 am)Eleven Wrote: You have Google at your disposal, correct?

I like shiney objects.
(May 14, 2021 at 5:52 am)Brian37 Wrote: It is admittedly for me, a puzzel. But I never understood, when watching bands or orchestras where the leader waves a stick in the air and the other members follow that stick. My mind knows there is a reason for it, but not being musically apt, it just looks like a person waving their hands all over the place. 

Up down, waving left to right, this one person is the focus to the musicians, everyone looks at them, the conductor, while at the same time looking at their easle.

One can brag about their favorite music. But when it comes to orchestras and symphonys, there is no greater complexity and collaboration to music. 

I just don't understand what the role is for a conductor. They simply stand there and wave a stick in their hand.

Conductors control the orchestra - they set tempo, indicated when certain sections play, how loudly they play, etc. And they don't just 'wave a stick'. They also use hand gestures, eye contact, and body language to indicate which musicians should do what when.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conducting

Not the point. I simply don't get how it works. I know the conductor is the unity of the orchestra or symhony. It is no different for me in not understanding how the motions in Hula dancing or ballet work.
(May 14, 2021 at 6:03 am)Brian37 Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conducting

Not the point. I simply don't get how it works. I know the conductor is the unity of the orchestra or symhony. It is no different for me in not understanding how the motions in Hula dancing or ballet work.

Stop saying 'not the point' when you change the point. You said, 'I just don't understand what the role is for a conductor.' I told you what that role is. Now, you're saying I missed your point by changing the point to 'I simply don't get how it works.'  Those are two very different things.

Also, it's kind of stupid of you to link to an article that explains how conducting works and then say that you don't get how conducting works.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It works by waving your arm in the air while handling a wand with utmost poise.

Simple, really.
Bottom line, the way I see conductors is just mere sign language for each segment of the orchestra/symphony/band. My mind knows there are a language of hand jestures that mean something to the musicians watching the conductor, but I was simply posting this to admit, I couldn't understand it to save my life. 

All I have is my layperson's lame attempt to make sense of it. 

Conductors look to me, like some desperate kidnap victim who escaped and is trying to flag down a passing motorist to save them.
(May 14, 2021 at 6:14 am)Brian37 Wrote: Bottom line, the way I see conductors is just mere sign language for each segment of the orchestra/symphony/band. My mind knows there are a language of hand jestures that mean something to the musicians watching the conductor, but I was simply posting this to admit, I couldn't understand it to save my life. 

All I have is my layperson's lame attempt to make sense of it. 

Conductors look to me, like some desperate kidnap victim who escaped and is trying to flag down a passing motorist to save them.

(bold mine)

It's in the Wikipedia article that you linked. Fucking read it.

Boru
Musicians play instruments, conductors play musicians.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!