Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corpus Christi Day
Corpus Christi Day
Who has ever seen a procession on that day?
RE: Corpus Christi Day
I have. Kind of dull - I mean, it’s not really a parade unless it’s got elephants.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I've been seeing photos on Facebook of past parades from a lady in my hometown. The route goes from the Bascillica to a little chapel a few blocks away and goes right by her house. Creeps me out that the little girls are in wedding dresses. But, there you have it. Life in a Catholic town.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I live in a very Catholic country and as far as I can tell, today is just an ordinary day.
Well when you have a Basilica...things are special.

The building on the left is where I went to 6th and 7th grades.

This was taken in 2013.  

[Image: 0AMDs4a.jpg]

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

See? No elephants. Booooor-ing.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 3, 2021 at 6:37 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Well when you have a Bascilica...things are special.

I'm pretty sure the old stone church in the burg I'm vacationing.in doesn't quite qualify as a Basilica.
My Catholic dish from Dallas says it's the gateway to Padre Island.  She's never heard of the day.

So it's a blood ritual?
I was never involved in it because they use the first communicants as participants and we didn't move to that town will I was well past first communion. But it was/is a thing every year.

Little brides of Christ and the boys - grooms of priests I assume.

(June 3, 2021 at 6:33 pm)Jackalope Wrote: I live in a very Catholic country and as far as I can tell, today is just an ordinary day.

Then it is no public holiday in your country, probably.
Here it is.
No processions, though. Because of Covid 19.

---------

In Catholic countries, where Corpus Christi Day is no public hoiiday, those processions used to be on the coming Sunday.