Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Listening to music
RE: Listening to music
(September 24, 2021 at 5:34 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Those are great headphones.  I've tried them, but they're not in my price range and my Sony MDR-7506s are more than satisfactory.  I don't need wireless at home.  I just bought a pair of Jabra Elite 45h headphones, which have rave reviews, but I haven't tried them yet.

They were pricey but I have had them about 10 years so I think I got my money's worth out of them. Since I wear glasses, the pads got a little tore up over time but I was able to buy new ones from Amazon that were super easy to install. They aren't wireless...not even sure that was an option when I bought them.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(September 24, 2021 at 3:36 pm)popeyespappy Wrote:

1. I disagree with the real music statement. The last time I went to live show the acoustics were shit, and the music sounded terrible compared to what I am used to listening to at home. I admit things might have been different if the Stones had been playing Carnegie Hall instead of Soldier Field and Mick and the rest of the band were 26 instead of 76, but they weren't. The show in question received pretty good reviews, BTW.

2. My office at work right now.

Reel to reel tape machines work well. The one above is a 45ish year old Pioneer RT-909. We paid about $1200 for it 5 years ago then another $1000 having it rebuilt with fresh caps and transistors and properly biased. It isn't a 16-track 2" Studer A80, but most people don't listen to studio grade equipment at home. It sounds good, but I doubt you or anyone else could tell the difference between the copy of Dark Side of the Moon I recorded from vinyl on this machine and and the 24 bit 192 kHz FLAC file I ripped from the same album in a blind test.
1. That doesn't surprise me, many venues has crap acoustics and often they set up their systems for volume.  I guess I'm saying a good venue with a good system produces far better sound than a recording, which of course is just a sample of reality anyway.  You could argue that studio recordings are more precise and they are because the performers can record all day and pick the best tracks, do multitrack, tinker with the mix.  I just find that to be a manufactured sound.  Live music feels alive.  I attended a performance of the Brian Setzer Orchestra a few years ago and couldn't believe my ears.  That guy is a guitar god.  I've listened to his music on all sorts of systems for 30 years and it doesn't do him justice.  Also, I attended a live chamber music performance in a small venue and it put me in a dream state.  I rushed home to listen to recordings of the same music and it just felt dead, like flat cardboard.
2. I had a neighbor years ago who had a studio R2R and it was amazing.  But when you convert to digital, if you do it right, it's indistinguishable from analog to almost all humans.  Even if it was 20% better, I would not notice it.  I just don't focus on music unless its live.  I'm listening to Helloween's newest album on Youtube on USB speakers and it sounds pretty good.  I just like the mood it puts me in.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(September 24, 2021 at 3:36 pm)popeyespappy Wrote:
(September 21, 2021 at 11:49 am)Angrboda Wrote: Yeah, I don't think my ears would notice the difference.

What would make a difference, though, given that I've moved my computer so that it's no longer directly in front of my A/V speakers, is to buy a pair of switchable studio monitors for the computer.  I'm also looking at upgrading my graphics card, but while I wait for prices to come down or be on-sale at the end of the year, the speakers might be a good idea.  I'm just starting to look, but my initial gander suggests something from Klipsch or Edifier in the $300 range.  I don't know much about Edifier, but apparently they're a Chinese firm that is producing some real good shit.

Of course, first I have to commit to my new seating location, which will depend upon whether I can figure out how to clamp my Racing Wheel to my old desk, and other issues which aren't fully settled.

In that price range you should look at a pair of JBL Professional 306P MKII monitors. They only take balanced inputs so you would probably need to a unbalanced to balanced cable somewhere between your source and the monitors, but that won't be an issue.

I'm reading that the amplifiers in the JBL 3 series have a low but audible hiss at idle. One user complains that at 3' it's just loud enough to be annoying. Given that these will sit close and idle a lot, that doesn't sound ideal.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 25, 2021 at 11:19 am)Angrboda Wrote:
(September 24, 2021 at 3:36 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: In that price range you should look at a pair of JBL Professional 306P MKII monitors. They only take balanced inputs so you would probably need to a unbalanced to balanced cable somewhere between your source and the monitors, but that won't be an issue.

I'm reading that the amplifiers in the JBL 3 series have a low but audible hiss at idle.  One user complains that at 3' it's just loud enough to be annoying.  Given that these will sit close and idle a lot, that doesn't sound ideal.

We have a pair at work that we use to monitor the audio on our digitization projects. I haven't noticed any appreciable hiss, but most of what we are playing back are old cassettes that hiss anyway so...

Look at some Mackie monitors. They use AB versus the class D amps in the JBLs which should help, but they will probably run hotter.

(September 24, 2021 at 6:14 pm)Spongebob Wrote: 1. That doesn't surprise me, many venues has crap acoustics and often they set up their systems for volume.  I guess I'm saying a good venue with a good system produces far better sound than a recording, which of course is just a sample of reality anyway.  You could argue that studio recordings are more precise and they are because the performers can record all day and pick the best tracks, do multitrack, tinker with the mix.  I just find that to be a manufactured sound.  Live music feels alive.  I attended a performance of the Brian Setzer Orchestra a few years ago and couldn't believe my ears.  That guy is a guitar god.  I've listened to his music on all sorts of systems for 30 years and it doesn't do him justice.  Also, I attended a live chamber music performance in a small venue and it put me in a dream state.  I rushed home to listen to recordings of the same music and it just felt dead, like flat cardboard.
2. I had a neighbor years ago who had a studio R2R and it was amazing.  But when you convert to digital, if you do it right, it's indistinguishable from analog to almost all humans.  Even if it was 20% better, I would not notice it.  I just don't focus on music unless its live.  I'm listening to Helloween's newest album on Youtube on USB speakers and it sounds pretty good.  I just like the mood it puts me in.

I'd go as far as to say most venues have shitty acoustics. The good news is we are about to get an 8000 set amphitheater that is being billed as a world-class music venue. I guess time will tell.

[Image: 153376286_205308708041851_27453881299476...847f75.jpg]
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(September 25, 2021 at 5:34 pm)popeyespappy Wrote:
(September 24, 2021 at 6:14 pm)Spongebob Wrote: 1. That doesn't surprise me, many venues has crap acoustics and often they set up their systems for volume.  I guess I'm saying a good venue with a good system produces far better sound than a recording, which of course is just a sample of reality anyway.  You could argue that studio recordings are more precise and they are because the performers can record all day and pick the best tracks, do multitrack, tinker with the mix.  I just find that to be a manufactured sound.  Live music feels alive.  I attended a performance of the Brian Setzer Orchestra a few years ago and couldn't believe my ears.  That guy is a guitar god.  I've listened to his music on all sorts of systems for 30 years and it doesn't do him justice.  Also, I attended a live chamber music performance in a small venue and it put me in a dream state.  I rushed home to listen to recordings of the same music and it just felt dead, like flat cardboard.

I'd go as far as to say most venues have shitty acoustics. The good news is we are about to get an 8000 set amphitheater that is being billed as a world-class music venue. I guess time will tell.

[Image: 153376286_205308708041851_27453881299476...847f75.jpg]

That looks pretty amazing, like Greek or Roman architecture.  Where is this being built?
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(September 26, 2021 at 7:46 am)Spongebob Wrote: That looks pretty amazing, like Greek or Roman architecture.  Where is this being built?

Huntsville, Alabama
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for country music singers similar to Alan Jackson rado84 5 593 July 31, 2023 at 10:27 am
Last Post: rado84
  Christian music you actually like? JairCrawford 31 2602 June 17, 2022 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New Ahem Music Istvan 1 400 March 20, 2022 at 3:39 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New music, Old music Ahriman 79 6111 November 5, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Music Composition FlatAssembler 1 242 May 22, 2020 at 3:08 pm
  Carrie fans and country music. Brian37 13 1088 May 16, 2020 at 8:54 pm
  My new favorite song of all time excluding classical music Alex K 1 569 January 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Never a flash in the pan. MUSIC. Brian37 19 1534 December 7, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: no one
  Music videos that rep the POTUS'S idiocy. Brian37 9 1628 October 22, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  ABBA credits 'the gays' for their return to music Foxaèr 23 2408 September 23, 2019 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Fireball