Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 retired Navy Seals run for Congress
RE: 5 retired Navy Seals run for Congress
(July 29, 2021 at 5:52 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: https://news.yahoo.com/seals-target-cong...00523.html

And not a ( D ) in the lot....

Hmmmmm...

I don’t see how this matters. There doesn’t seem to be any correlation (good or bad) between military experience and legislative ability.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
You two are under a faulty impression that being a Navy SEAL is simply military service....

I met slovenly, dumb and undiscipline people aplenty in my 7 years.....

SEALS ain' t that....
This thread is treading along swimmingly.
The Republicans are going out of their way to recruit special forces vets to run. If it's a winner, Dems will start doing the same.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(July 30, 2021 at 10:39 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: The Republicans are going out of their way to recruit special forces vets to run. If it's a winner, Dems will start doing the same.

Unlikely.

Leftists (as seen in this thread) see SPECOPS warriors as knuckle dragging heathen killer robots...

This attitide comes from total ignorance and hatred of the unknown...
I've never served but my brother in law is a retired Marine officer. From what I hear from him, within the military there's a strong push toward conservative politics, not to mention religion. This is only relevant to the post-Vietnam era. Before that it may have been different.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(July 30, 2021 at 11:26 am)Spongebob Wrote: I've never served but my brother in law is a retired Marine officer. From what I hear from him, within the military there's a strong push toward conservative politics, not to mention religion. This is only relevant to the post-Vietnam era. Before that it may have been different.

Also worth noting, it’s been decades since the US has been involved in a war with broad Democratic support (the first year or two of the Iraq war, perhaps, maybe even the first Gulf War), so it only makes sense that there’d be a heavy selection bias towards the Republicans in the military.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(July 30, 2021 at 11:40 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: Also worth noting, it’s been decades since the US has been involved in a war with broad Democratic support (the first year or two of the Iraq war, perhaps, maybe even the first Gulf War), so it only makes sense that there’d be a heavy selection bias towards the Republicans in the military.

Yes, Desert Storm was broadly supported as was the invasion of Afghanistan in 2001.  The way our military is formed now leads me to believe that its not about who supports our military actions.  However, once people are enlisted or enter as officers, there appears to be significant peer pressure and official pressure toward both religion and conservative politics.  Again, I'm not basing this on person experience but rather conversations with former members of the military, all retired with 10 - 20 years service.  And I'm not claiming that it's universal, but clearly some members of the military have experienced this so I believe there is something to it.  It strikes me as odd that the military would promote religion and certain politics.  But then again its made up of people and apparently people just can't help themselves.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
According to a Military Times poll last year, 41% of active duty military planned to vote for Biden. Our military definitel leans right but it is far from monolithic.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(August 2, 2021 at 12:08 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: According to a Military Times poll last year, 41% of active duty military planned to vote for Biden. Our military definitel leans right but it is far from monolithic.

I'm more concerned about the inactive/retired/veterans. Trump (and the trumpettes) seems to light their fire.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.