Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas Law could circumvent Roe V. Wade
RE: Texas Law could circumvent Roe V. Wade
The new Texas bill outlaws abortion once a fetal heartbeat can be detected...usually by six weeks when women often don't even realize they are pregnant.

I was listening to the local radio station while out running work errands and that news played over and over including a lady who said that in the last couple days the clinics have been inundated with women trying to beat the new law.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

This tweet is great:

https://twitter.com/DoctorHenryCT/status...8321927172

Quote:Voter suppression laws are passed to intimidate people from voting for fear of being arrested. I hope a consequence of the Texas abortion law is that women decide that it's not worth having sex with men in Texas for fear of pregnancy and the intended consequences of the law.
(August 31, 2021 at 9:37 pm)Foxaire Wrote: Texas is always attempting to pass absurd laws. They never succeed.

And it's now law.

To everyone who told people that SCOTUS doesn't matter in 2016 and they just couldn't vote for the E-mail lady: this is on you.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Hillary was right about everything.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Best part about the bill....there's no heart at 6 weeks.

Any bets on what's next? Gay marriage, gender discrimination....maybe? Seems like some things they might want to deal with while winding the clock backwards. Neither of them are safer than abortion was.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 1, 2021 at 4:24 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote:
(September 1, 2021 at 1:52 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The most common argument made by nutters who try to pass laws like these is also the most hypocritical: that life beings at conception, therefore a foetus is a person so abortion is murder. They don’t believe it, and they KNOW they don’t believe it.

Boru

The Catholic church officially DOES believe this.  A soul is created at the moment of conception, and therefore for every egg that gets a sperm, that soul will eventually knock on the gates of heaven, and will help condemn those who helped with an abortion.

That's actually only been their position since 1869 and actually runs contrary to anything in the bible, and more importantly (because souls are involved), all the writings of the church fathers on whose writings dogma is supposed to be based. Before that date the catholic position was that abortions were a-ok until ensoulment which, depending on who you talked to, happened somewhere between 40 days and 13 weeks. Yes there were catholic "intellectuals" who were totally anti-abortion but until Pius IX (he of papal infallibility and as thick as mince) took up their cause they were very much a fringe group.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(September 2, 2021 at 2:34 pm)Nomad Wrote: That's actually only been their position since 1869 and actually runs contrary to anything in the bible, and more importantly (because souls are involved), all the writings of the church fathers on whose writings dogma is supposed to be based.  Before that date the catholic position was that abortions were a-ok until ensoulment which, depending on who you talked to, happened somewhere between 40 days and 13 weeks.  Yes there were catholic "intellectuals" who were totally anti-abortion but until Pius IX (he of papal infallibility and as thick as mince) took up their cause they were very much a fringe group.

Yes, I thought I had heard that until recently, the entry of the soul was considered to be when the fetus starts to kick.
Abortion used to be called "the catholic issue" - as in in living memory..by protestants, who didn't share such concern with it. Today, protestants advance that cause more competently than catholics...though even protestants (apperently) prefer to rely on catholics, rather than their fellow protestants..in positions of authority, to cosign this revulsion.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
To make the veins in their necks stand out, here’s a good hypothetical to pose to the anti-woman crowd:

You’re at a fertility clinic (doesn’t matter why - maybe you just stopped in to use the toilet).  Suddenly, the fire alarms go off and the place begins to fill with smoke - this is a real fire, not a false alarm. On your way to the exit, you pass an open door. Inside, there’s a two year old child, crying and screaming in terror. Going in to rescue the child (yay, you!), you see that the room also contains a cryocase labeled ‘100 VIABLE HUMAN EMBRYOS’. It isn’t possible to save both the child and the embryos - one or the other. No one else is near enough to assist in the rescue.

These are you choices:

A) Save a living, breathing, thinking human being at the cost of 100 potential lives

B) Save 100 fertilized ova, each of which has the potential to become a living, breathing, thinking human being and leave the toddler to burn to death.

C) There is no third option. If you try to save both, you all die.

What do you do?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 31, 2021 at 9:34 pm)Cecelia Wrote: https://www.thenation.com/article/societ...rtion-law/

Unless the conservative majority Supreme Court steps in (which it seems unlikely to do), Roe V. Wade may be made functionally useless by a Texas Law.

Quote:But there is another aspect of this Texas law that is extreme, even by conservatives’ forced-birth standards. The Texas law, known as SB 8, places a cash bounty on abortion providers and empowers any citizen to come collect.

The law stipulates that any US citizen can sue a Texas abortion provider, or sue a person suspected of “aiding or abetting” abortion services. The plaintiffs don’t even have to be residents of Texas to sue Texans suspected of helping people make private choices. Should the lawsuit prevail, the person who brought the suit will receive $10,000, plus attorney fees. Texas has created a cash incentive to haul not just doctors and nurses into court but also lawyers, reproductive rights counselors, and even receptionists.

This is absolutely insane! And not enough people are talking about it. This is why McConnell et al wanted Kavanaugh and Barrett on the court.

The GOP are pro birth, not pro life. They think they are better than the Taliban. They certainly are acting like they want to be the Taliban.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which nonpolitician could be president? Fake Messiah 8 860 January 16, 2023 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The hearings and a matter of law. Brian37 0 211 June 29, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Brian37
  LAW and CIVILIZATION senorlegalo 64 4256 January 19, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Serious] What's the point? Trump and the GOP are clearly above the law no matter what you say GODZILLA 21 2389 May 21, 2019 at 10:46 am
  Just when I thought that Donald Trump could not get any dumber... Jehanne 16 2088 November 27, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  Voting Machines Switching Votes in Texas ReptilianPeon 5 902 October 31, 2018 at 8:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  So He Could Tolerate Everything Else But This? Minimalist 4 681 August 13, 2018 at 4:52 pm
  The WLB Wishes He Could Get Away With This Minimalist 1 492 May 30, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Now Who Knew Economics Could Be So "Complicated?" Minimalist 2 804 April 9, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Anti Trans Bathroom Law Proganada is Kind Of Misandrist Amarok 30 3247 March 7, 2018 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet