Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just the essentials or all the bells and whistles?
RE: Just the essentials or all the bells and whistles?
It's interesting that many products are advertised as "entry level". Basically, this is the simple, basic, less expensive version of something. In some cases it makes sense. If you are just learning to play guitar, a $200 Squire is a good purchase. But if you develop into a professional musician, that $2500 American Standard Fender is well within your grasp.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(September 16, 2021 at 4:12 pm)Spongebob Wrote: It's interesting that many products are advertised as "entry level".  Basically, this is the simple, basic, less expensive version of something.  In some cases it makes sense.  If you are just learning to play guitar, a $200 Squire is a good purchase.  But if you develop into a professional musician, that $2500 American Standard Fender is well within your grasp.
You always have the most insightful shit to say (no sarcasm)
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(September 16, 2021 at 2:14 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote: I prefer having a small amount of things that are the best.

(why did I instantly go to dicks and tits?)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 16, 2021 at 2:14 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: "Extra Features" are more often than not some design engineer's justification for his existance.

A flashlight that blinks is annoying. A flashlight that flashes SOS is just stupid.

A shop worklight that flashes is a justification for murdering design engineers.

On/off- that's all the button needs to do.

Flashy assholes.

The microwave, which came with the house, beeps three times when it times out and stops.  A minute later, it does so again.  And so on in perpetuity until you open the door.

Dear dude at Frigidaire, if I let a bowl of soup sit for a while after it's warm, it's okay.  If I forget it's sitting there all together, it's okay.  What's not okay?  A goddamn microwave raising a fuss.
There might be an exception to my rules. I spent 50% more for a microwave with Inverter technology, even though it may not be strictly necessary. That's one luxury that I'm glad I chose to pay for.

As to the bread question, if I'm going to mainline my nutrition by forming a ball of wheat & starch and wolfing it down, do I sound like I'd go to the trouble of removing the crusts?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

The author of The Little Prince knew his stuff.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(September 16, 2021 at 6:35 pm)Angrboda Wrote: There might be an exception to my rules.  I spent 50% more for a microwave with Inverter technology, even though it may not be strictly necessary.  That's one luxury that I'm glad I chose to pay for.

As to the bread question, if I'm going to mainline my nutrition by forming a ball of wheat & starch and wolfing it down, do I sound like I'd go to the trouble of removing the crusts?

Crusts make bread ball less cohesive. Removing the crusts piss off parents even more. Dodgy
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I tend to go for things that are solid and well-built but that don't have a lot of "extras." The only time I ever go for cheap is for things that are intended to be replaced (e.g. I buy kitchen scrub brushes at the dollar store because I'm going to chuck 'em and use new ones every few months).

For things that I intend to use for a long time, I aim for the middle of the price-and-feature range. Two of my clarinets are in the intermediate/pro category ($3000-4000), and they get played every day. There are models that are twice the price, but these work very well for me.
(September 16, 2021 at 6:29 pm)Ranjr Wrote:
(September 16, 2021 at 2:14 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: "Extra Features" are more often than not some design engineer's justification for his existance.

A flashlight that blinks is annoying. A flashlight that flashes SOS is just stupid.

A shop worklight that flashes is a justification for murdering design engineers.

On/off- that's all the button needs to do.

Flashy assholes.

The microwave, which came with the house, beeps three times when it times out and stops.  A minute later, it does so again.  And so on in perpetuity until you open the door.

Dear dude at Frigidaire, if I let a bowl of soup sit for a while after it's warm, it's okay.  If I forget it's sitting there all together, it's okay.  What's not okay?  A goddamn microwave raising a fuss.
Our Kenmiore does the same -  

But....

There is a control setup button.that allows you to mute the sound....

Smile
All over the shop like Boru.
Cheap on some things, splurge on others...

Tools, I've broken too many "Dewalt" to care any more... I buy cheapo for a third of the price and replace them as needed.

As an example. We bought the first widescreen hd projector (Sony VPL-VW10HT). for 10k. In the 19 years we had it, all our friends and relos had gone through 3-5 lcd tv's (bigger, higher res, etc) and bought 3 new cars. Add all the money lost in depreciation on the vehicles and the cost of the 3-5 big tv's and tell me if our projector was that much of a waste of money. Also we enjoyed the hell out of it for 19 years. Horses for courses.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I Just Say and I'm just being honest (Holiday Edition) Mystical 9 2101 November 25, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  So I just got back my IQ score and diagnosis and I'm sad MusicLovingAtheist 43 18731 September 26, 2014 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  My psycho mom just took away my purse with all my belongings without ANY warning! jashleygirl 65 11802 August 5, 2014 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Violet
  I just wanted you all to know Losty 12 3949 May 3, 2014 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Napoléon