Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions and Observations for American Football Fans
RE: Under center, an American football question.
Moderator Notice
Merged football threads, again.  Only three more months of this folks. Threw a couple more in here to tidy things up a bit and stickied this thread.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

RE: Under center, an American football question.
(October 31, 2021 at 1:51 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Growing up as a kid, and in my teens, most of the time I would see the quarterbacks be up under center on most plays. But like all of life, things change, and I began to notice more shotgun formations on more plays. Anyone else notice this? 

But this season, with both college and NFL, I have noticed more getting back to under center. 

It has to be a taste in long term philosophy for me. I've never been that fond of the shotgun. I've always been more of a running game fan. 

I like pocket quarterbacks far more than scramblers. It just seems more risky in shotgun.

Either way, both under center and shotgun have their advantages and disadvantages. I've just been more of a running game fan.

Again - if you could take these random thoughts of yours and find an existing thread where they fit (as opposed to creating a new thread for each and every brain fart), that’d be just peachy.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Questions and Observations for American Football Fans
I stickied the thread under 'Sports and Fitness'. I don't have high hopes but thought I'd give it a shot.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Yes, anyone who pays attention to football notices the trends. Trends in both offense and defense change all the time. Both shotgun and under center offer advantage and disadvantage and are used for specific types of plays. None of this is difficult to understand.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
One major thing gridiron has over Australian rules football. Here the guys don't wear any padding except a cup. Why yes, there are a lot of injuries, especially concussions which often lead to brain injury over a long period.

Below a link to a 'best of' clip. Here it's blokes marking (catching) the ball. If the ball is not touched by another player, that's a free kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huIVv7znGSw

The clip under this link is 'biggest hits'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGLyCDzYUtg
I'm not sure all the gear worn by American Football players helps that much. We still have lots of concussions and all sorts of injuries. Sometimes I think all the pads do is give players the false sense of security that they can treat their bodies like missiles and survive. And despite years of training and added rules and penalties, players still dive head first at another player, often injuring themselves and/or the other player. The combination of this inherently violent sport with new rules intended to protect certain players makes for some very contradictory penalties. I saw a roughing the QB penalty yesterday called against a Tampa Bay player who bumped into the Saints QB with about the same force you might bump into a stranger at the grocery and say "scuze me" while he was currently having his head ripped off by a lineman. No call on the lineman.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aussie Rules Football MarcusA 1 400 August 20, 2023 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Snooker and football Interaktive 4 901 April 20, 2022 at 9:37 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Abusive sports fans. 0P Brian37 20 1708 June 7, 2021 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Another attempt at spring pro football. Brian37 0 439 May 29, 2021 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Sports, football vs figure skating...... Brian37 11 948 January 16, 2021 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Washington Football Team vs Seahawks Brian37 32 1453 December 20, 2020 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Ok sports fans, no matter the sport........ Brian37 7 507 December 12, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Anyone watch the T-day football games? Brian37 39 1658 November 27, 2020 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Any baseball fans? Dingo 3 359 September 29, 2020 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Dingo
  New Pro football league airs on CBS tonight. Brian37 4 632 February 9, 2019 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Mr.wizard