Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is love real?
RE: Is love real?
(September 22, 2021 at 4:10 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(September 22, 2021 at 4:04 pm)Angrboda Wrote: The cake is a lie.   Dodgy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m5TuxdkfkE

-that's love.

‘Love is a lie that cuts like a knife / With its sorrows and faded blisses. / I go to a girl who asks naught of life / Save wine and a drunkard’s kisses.’ - Robert E. Howard, author and lunatic.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
If we're talking janes addiction..um...three days?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmvG2GZ3S7o

Specific answer..no it's not love unless you need them. Anything less.....is infatuation. I don't know what I'd do without and no one could say what I was doing, before I found love.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 22, 2021 at 4:13 pm)Angrboda Wrote:
(September 22, 2021 at 4:10 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The the importance of the happiness of the other person. Turn the Heinlein definition around - can you truly say you love someone if you’re indifferent to their happiness? If the happiness factor is removed, it isn’t love. Anything else - physical attractiveness, sex, fear of being alone - is fair game.

Boru

Yeah but most of us aren't indifferent to anyone's happiness short of complete strangers and when it's convenient.  Even the drunk at the bus stop evokes concern in many of us.

But the happiness of complete strangers isn’t usually essential to your own. 

You can be concerned about that drunk, but does his inebriation affect your happiness? In other words, are you made perpetually unhappy by the unhappiness of other people? 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
my flip flop!
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 22, 2021 at 4:13 pm)Angrboda Wrote:
(September 22, 2021 at 4:10 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The the importance of the happiness of the other person. Turn the Heinlein definition around - can you truly say you love someone if you’re indifferent to their happiness? If the happiness factor is removed, it isn’t love. Anything else - physical attractiveness, sex, fear of being alone - is fair game.

Boru

Yeah but most of us aren't indifferent to anyone's happiness short of complete strangers and when it's convenient.  Even the drunk at the bus stop evokes concern in many of us.  We are a care/ful species by nature.

And is it not love if I need me more than I need you?  That seems to be the foundation of many a breakup, even where there's love.

If two people split because one is willing to hurt the other, I contend that it isn’t love. They may be concern about the other person, they may feel bad for the hurt involved, but that’s not love. It’s more like falling out of love.

Boru
Real?

Some would say that only that which is quantifiable is real.

If you can' t measure it, it isn' t real.

Also - it is observer dependant.

Anything comprising matter or energy can exist without an observer.

So it kinda depends on your definition of " real".

I believe 42 might be the best answer....
It's a grave mental disease.
OP: No.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Sorry couldn't help it  Hehe
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Yes, and I have the restraining order to prove it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Platonic Love Vs Romantic Love Edwardo Piet 27 6885 September 4, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Something cute to brighten up your day. If you didn't love cats, you love them now. IanHulett 34 6772 July 23, 2015 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: MTL