Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
New music, Old music
RE: New music, Old music
(September 30, 2021 at 6:03 pm)polymath257 Wrote: I listen almost exclusively to either classical (Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, etc) or late 60's/early 70's rock.

I don't generally have music seeking behavior, though. I can easily go for a month without listening to anything.

I do pick up stuff from the environment, so if my wife listens to something, I tend to learn it.

So you lost the roll of Winchester on M*A*S*H?

Just being silly.  Truth is throughout human history, older music always influences new music and the meshing and mixing produces newer styles. 

I think one of the biggest examples of how core musicians don't buy into popular tribalism, are things like the San Francisco Symphony doing a concert with Metallica, and others like Snoop Dog doing a duet with Willie Nelson.

What I do hate about human tribalism, especially with music, is that all the "Ford vs Chevy" music fans "us vs them" fans don't understand that most of the time, the artists they are so tribal over, if they went to their homes, and checked out their music libraries, regardless of genera, would find out most artists who end up at the top that everyone knows, has a far more diverse library than the fans know.
Facepalm
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 30, 2021 at 3:48 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(September 30, 2021 at 3:33 pm)Spongebob Wrote: Old, for sure.  I can only listen to most newer artists for a few seconds before I change the channel.  Some exceptions; 21 Pilots and Lorde for example.
Old music is cool, but new music has that sweet, sweet novelty value.

It depends on which music you're talking about, and of course its subjective.  Not everyone appreciates the same musical elements.  I don't like any music because it's old.  Like most people, I prefer music I grew up with.

I don't even know what "sweet novelty value" means.  "Novelty" usually means something that's weird and difficult to find, which really doesn't describe much music at all.  If anything music is getting more and more repetitious and less original.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(September 30, 2021 at 8:37 pm)Spongebob Wrote: If anything music is getting more and more repetitious and less original.

Quote:Science Proves: Pop Music Has Actually Gotten Worse

Science confirms what you’ve always suspected: music these days is worse than it used to be
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(September 30, 2021 at 8:37 pm)Spongebob Wrote:
(September 30, 2021 at 3:48 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Old music is cool, but new music has that sweet, sweet novelty value.

It depends on which music you're talking about, and of course its subjective.  Not everyone appreciates the same musical elements.  I don't like any music because it's old.  Like most people, I prefer music I grew up with.

I don't even know what "sweet novelty value" means.  "Novelty" usually means something that's weird and difficult to find, which really doesn't describe much music at all.  If anything music is getting more and more repetitious and less original.

Well yes. I overlap of late 70s and 80's music, and very little of early 90s music. But by the mid and late 90s I lost interest. I think that is always normal in every generation. I will say however, with my late mother, we had some common overlap in a couple ABBA songs, and our common favorite song we both love was  "My Life" by Billy Joel. So certainly there are generational gaps, but it isn't impossible for for different generations to find overlap even if small.

But I had no idea when the TV show Moonlighting redid songs "Blue Moon" and "I Told You I Now Get Out " that they were covers of days of old. I'd bet my life, even today's young popular rock and pop artists are drawing from the past.

I agree, it most certainly is subjective. 

If I had a billion dollars to pay Metallica to cover "Offbeat Of Avenues" by Manhattan Transfer, I would do so.
(September 30, 2021 at 6:03 pm)polymath257 Wrote: I listen almost exclusively to either classical (Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, etc) or late 60's/early 70's rock.

I don't generally have music seeking behavior, though. I can easily go for a month without listening to anything.

I do pick up stuff from the environment, so if my wife listens to something, I tend to learn it.

Do you think Eric Carmen illegally copied Rachmaninoff in the prechorus to All By Myself?
(October 1, 2021 at 12:20 am)Brian37 Wrote: Well yes. I overlap of late 70s and 80's music, and very little of early 90s music. But by the mid and late 90s I lost interest. I think that is always normal in every generation. 

I think this describes the situation pretty well.  The more music you listen to, the more you notice similarities in other music, repeated riffs, chord progressions, vocal styles and so on.  Every now and then I "discover" an artist that I had overlooked or discounted some time ago and then I wonder how I could have possibly missed this.  But its rare.  In truth, I don't believe there is an infinite range of musical ideas and it's possible that they will all be used up some day.

If there's one aspect of contemporary music that I appreciate, it's when a contemporary artist covers a song by an older act and alters the makeup of the song such that it sounds like a completely different song, yet I can still find the original in there somewhere.  That takes some effort.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(October 1, 2021 at 2:37 am)Ranjr Wrote:

Do you think Eric Carmen illegally copied Rachmaninoff in the prechorus to All By Myself?

Well, Eric Carmen thinks he did, so…yes.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
[Image: 251329860_1959871677496748_6457260337693...e=61A99C65]
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

Fascinating.

At about 45  I formed the opinion that peoples'  musical taste often doesn't grow beyond what they were listening to at about age 20. For me that meant only the very occasional bit after ABBA.  Still like them, I think they are closest thing to the perfect pop group. 

So, I began going back in time; The big bands of the 1940's , the the Blues an finally Jazz. Very recently, Country.  All during that time I liked some classical music.   A bit more eclectic these days. Don't pretend to understand it. I listen for the emotional effect.

Today music is very much a mood thing for me.   Currently my favourite singer is the late, great Jazz singer Anita O'Day.(1919-2006) 

Only last month I discovered Linda Ronstadt doing Mariachi, which I also like (Canciones Di Mi Padre) 

I make no judgement on people's musical taste, nor do I justify my own.  I suppose I'm a music slut.

Below a link to the best Anita O'Day clip I've been able to find.(Newport Jazz Festival 1958, colour) I have about half a dozen of he albums,  but she recorded at least 2 dozen albums 

Anita O'Day - Sweet Georgia Brown & Tea for Two - YouTube

PS Just for interest. The most amazing female voice I've ever heard;  Yma Sumac; the great Peruvian coloratura soprano. There is some disagreement about her vocal range. Some say 5 octaves, some 4 and a half at the height of her career. The clip below has had 1.6 million views.

YMA SUMAC Chuncho - YouTube

(November 5, 2021 at 3:55 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: [Image: 251329860_1959871677496748_6457260337693...e=61A99C65]

It was only a few years ago that I realised my attitude to Rap was the same as my father's of Frank Sinatra. ----and you could just forget about Elvis and the Beatles!

So call me narrow minded and bigoted. I still hate Rap.  Dodgy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Ahem Music Istvan 1 399 March 20, 2022 at 3:39 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My new favorite song of all time excluding classical music Alex K 1 569 January 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  I Made A New Soundcloud For My Latest Music Edwardo Piet 0 717 May 21, 2017 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Nightmare On Elmstreet, old vs. new Mechaghostman2 8 975 October 29, 2016 at 8:42 am
Last Post: rado84
  New music vid from atheist Shelley Segal Brian37 0 709 May 21, 2015 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  New Family - Music Edwardo Piet 0 993 July 23, 2011 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet